I forgot my anniversary!

Options
lp1964
lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
edited May 2016 in Colorectal Cancer #1

3 years and 3 days ago I took the feared phone call in the bathroom at work. "Sorry to inform you but you have cancer..." 

Amazingly I don't remember the emotions only the facts. After 3 hard years, with physical and emotional scars, without some body parts and my spouse, I'm glad to report that my life is still great. Despite constant frustration from my colostomy and digestive problens, I'm happy, productive and optimistic about my future. 

My daughter is getting closer to me after a couple years of distance. She is as mature as an 18 year old can be, she is independent and starting at Stanford with full scholarship in the fall. 

Im living my dream on my sailboat in California. Fear of my cancer coming back bubbles up in my head a dozen times a day, but less and less with lot less power. 

I come hear every day to see what's going on with everyone else, doing my best to learn and support. I celebrate the good news and feel the anxiety and pain with those who suffer. 

Forgetting my anniversary - I think is a good sign!

I wish nothing but the best for all of you.

Laz

Comments

• Alaska_Amp
    Alaska_Amp Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Anniversary

Congratulations Laz!  You've sure come a long ways. Lessons are learned, but it certainly is nice to put some of those painful recollections in the rearview mirror- or in your case, in the wake.  I love that you are living your dream.  So much of the journey is about relationships and discovery. Finding that one thing you are so passionate about and using it as motivation. Taking control over the things that you can. Preserving your dignity and hope. 

For me, 1 year, 2 months, and 18 days since the dreaded phone call.  The P.A. who had the bad luck to make the call was crying on the telephone and and found myself consoling her and telling her that everything was going to be Okay. I can't imagine what a day in the life of someone working in Onc. must be like. Intense, certainly. 

So here we are, missing many parts. I resemble one of the "Dr. G., Medical Examiner" clients who underwent the classical "Y" incision from stem to stern and then rotated side to side.  Plus, I was already an arm amputee before the whole cancer fun began.  I was startled after the first surgery when a resident was filling in and began reciting organs that had been removed. I had no idea that they proactively removed other organs.  Now I just check the post surgical reports in my chart and shake my head at the list.  Still, I was greatly impressed with your post "Cancer and Marriage", Laz, when you spoke about still being a man despite all the things that had been done to you.  That hit home.  I can really relate to that.

Three hard years, and much to be grateful for even at such a great price. 

Hoping you continue to sail on and find new good signs in your adventures.

Ruth

• Alaska_Amp
    Alaska_Amp Member Posts: 5
    Options
    P.S. Fringe Benefits to Anniversarys

Speaking of freebies in the whole "look at me now" surgical body modifications....after the colon resection I ended up with some wound care issues and now have (drum roll please) TWO belly buttons. All that for free. No extra charge. Alas, the liver resection just left me with a slightly droopy chest on one side. You have to have a sense of humor in all this.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Laz, congrats on 3 years plus

Laz, congrats on 3 years plus of being NED, and not marking time in your head the way so many of us do, that's a real kind of freedom. I won't lose track of the span of time from diagnosis,  being it was my wifes birthday [Sep 25], I'll always remember that day. If I get as far ahead as say Ron, I hope to use that to encourage the newbies, they need to hear survivors stories, I know I did. Advice, empathy and encouragement is what makes this blog special to those who find it, and that's worth sticking with....................................Dave

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Good sign

We all deal with this in different ways. I couldn't tell you the date I was told I had Cancer, the month and year but not the date. As for anniversaries, I count mine from my liver resection and I celebrate it every month with a little treat. 2 years 1 month NED. 

Its a journey of extremes. From the lows of surgery, treatment and the emotional toll it takes on our lives, to the joys of actual living and that enhanced feeling of knowing how good it is to be alive. Well, for those of us blessed to be at the NED stage. 

Looking forward to meeting with you in a few days. 

SUE

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    edited May 2016 #6
    Options
    3 years

I think it's a great sign that you forgot. It means you're not obsessing and moving on with your life. I'm glad to hear that your daughter is starting to come around. Maybe she just needed to grow up a little bit in order to deal with everything. Best of luck!

Lin

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Great

Great Laz.  Hopefully you stay busy, mostly forget about it, and put a lot of good memories between you and the cancer episode. 

• Yolllmbs
    Yolllmbs Member Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Lots of reasons to party

Congratulations!  It's one step at a time. Can't wait to see you tomorrow. 

• ellend
    ellend Member Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    congratulations!

These types of posts help me maintain a positive attitude when things start feeling hard. Wishing you all the best.

Ellen