Pain in middle of shoulder blades

Bubby3
Bubby3 Member Posts: 3

New to site. I and a 48 year old white female. At the beginning of this year started having symptoms of fatigue and right side pain. March 2nd 2016, my doctor ordered a CT scan and the results showed a renal Mass 12 by 16. After much testing, my urologist determine a right radical nephrectomy was necessary. The surgery was a week ago on May 20th. My right side feels a little sore, but there is severe pain between my shoulder blades and my right shoulder. I am eating well and walking and resting, doing everything I'm told to do. Has anyone else experience this pain after the surgery? My doctor suggest it was the position I was in during the surgery which took 3 hours. And is now suggesting physical therapy. I will go back to him in a week to review the pathology report, but until then nothing I do seems to help this pain.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited May 2016 #2
    Welcome

Bubby3.

Welcome to the club which no one in their right mind would volunteer to join. While I never had a similar pain I have seen other members have such a pain which was determined to be gas. Hopefully if it is it will find a way out.

Please clarify the size of your renal mass. Is it mm or cm ? Is there a decimal point?

Icemantoo

• Bubby3
    edited May 2016 #3
    icemantoo said:

Welcome

Bubby3.

Welcome to the club which no one in their right mind would volunteer to join. While I never had a similar pain I have seen other members have such a pain which was determined to be gas. Hopefully if it is it will find a way out.

Please clarify the size of your renal mass. Is it mm or cm ? Is there a decimal point?

Icemantoo

Sorry! From the CT scan there

Sorry! From the CT scan there was a mass 16 x 12 millimeters , hyperdense enhancing  mass. It stated : worrisome for Renal cell carcinoma Then came the MRI. Which showed a mass in the right kidney & on the kidney.  Then the Cystoscopy, Biopsy, Stent for 2 weeks , The biopsy was of the mass on the inside and it was benign. And my doctor said he wouldn't biopsy the one on the outside for fear of spreading. He said because of all the test results he was 95% sure it was cancer, and a right radical nephrectomy was necessary.

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited May 2016 #4
    Worried at first

Bubby,

I was worried at first whenn you said 12 by 16 and most are measured in cm and that would really be a big bad one. Then you waited over 2 months for surgery whch is only typical of little ones. With the size of your little unwanted guest being in mm you will be fine.

Icemantoo

• Bubby3
    I meant to ask also.........

I meant to ask also......... I was diagnosed with GERD in. 2013.  Then Erosive Esophagitis in 2014. I have taken PPIs for 3 years now. Has anyone associated the kidney issues with the Proton Pump Inhibitors?

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    edited May 2016 #6
    Welcome Bubby

Typically the gas pains that Icemantoo was referring to are located more in the top of the shoulder area, not so much in the shoulder blades.  That's not to say that it wouldn't be felt there as well tho, just not sure.  If it is related to the gases used during surgery to inflate the abdomen, it'll work it's way out and there's not too much you can do about it other than keep walking.  It'll pass within a couple of days.  And in the meantime, it is definitely pretty uncomfortable.

Regarding the PPI's, I have not heard of anything like a kidney mass.  Lately there is talk about the relationship of PPI's and alzheimers though. 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Keep us posted on your pathology report.

Donna~

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    edited May 2016 #7
    I had same pain right after I

I had same pain right after I woke up. The incision pain was moderate but that pain was sever and sharp. It became worse once I sat. This pain became my main worry so I asked my surgeon but he also told me it was for my positioning during surgery. I had it for some months, I put hot towel on it and it helped. It'll get better day by day and after a while it will beggone.

Forough

• lcsvb
    lcsvb Member Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2016 #8
    Chiropractor helped me!

My upper back/neck was super uncomfortable after surgery. Two months out I tried going to a chiropractor and it has helped a huge amount! 

• Ree_Maryland
    Ree_Maryland Member Posts: 161 Member
    My pain in same location was

My pain in same location was cause by the gas used in surgery . very painful. so sorry