Creatinine levels with partials

Options
daisybud
daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member

Just wondering what your creatinine  levels are like with partial nefs.  Mine is up seven points since right after my partiaI which was this past February.  Still not out of range but wondering if creeping up some is normal with partials. Going to surgeon on June 1 for follow up. I will ask him then. Also, wondering if the lasix renal gram I had 4 days before the blood work could be some of it, due to the diuretic.  Just hope it doesn't keep rising.

Kim

Comments

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited May 2016 #2
    Options
    Seven Points?

Hi Kim,

Why don't you post your creatinine level? I don't know what you mean by it being up 7 points. It's the final number that matters. As I remember over 1.3 is out of range. I had a radical nephrectomy and mine has been 1.5-1.8 (may have had a 1.9 once).

eGFR is a better measure of kidney function.

Being dehydrated can definitely affect your results.

Todd

• todd121
    edited May 2016 #3
    Options
    Nephrologist

Kim,

If you mean your creatinine has increase by 0.7 since your partial, that's a pretty big increase. What does your doctor say?

Are you seeing a nephrologist and not just a urologist? I started to see a nephrologist to keep track of my kidney function after my nephrectomy. She does a number of more specific tests checking for problems with my kidneys compared to what other docs do. Might not hurt to see one. But I'm curious what your doc says. Usually it would improve a little or stay the same. A big jump I don't think is expected. But you should be asking the docs. :)

Warm regards,

Todd

• daisybud
    edited May 2016 #4
    Options
    todd121 said:

Nephrologist

Kim,

If you mean your creatinine has increase by 0.7 since your partial, that's a pretty big increase. What does your doctor say?

Are you seeing a nephrologist and not just a urologist? I started to see a nephrologist to keep track of my kidney function after my nephrectomy. She does a number of more specific tests checking for problems with my kidneys compared to what other docs do. Might not hurt to see one. But I'm curious what your doc says. Usually it would improve a little or stay the same. A big jump I don't think is expected. But you should be asking the docs. :)

Warm regards,

Todd

It was .74 right before

It was .74 right before surgery in January. Then jumped to ,80 in February right after partial and now 3months later.87. I know that's  still normal just a big change in 3 blood tests in last 4 months. I was able to get results online before appt June 1.  I will ask at the appt to see what's going on.  Will also get results of renal gram then too

• daisybud
    Options
    This surgeon follow up. He

This surgeon follow up. He ordered renal gram and blood work

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited May 2016 #6
    Options
    daisybud said:

It was .74 right before

It was .74 right before surgery in January. Then jumped to ,80 in February right after partial and now 3months later.87. I know that's  still normal just a big change in 3 blood tests in last 4 months. I was able to get results online before appt June 1.  I will ask at the appt to see what's going on.  Will also get results of renal gram then too

Normal

Daisybud,

Your number is within normal of our 2 kidney brothers and sisters. Those of us such as myself who have been fully nephed have much higher numbers (like 1.6), only .10 of which can be attributable to gender. As  for the .07 jump my scanns go up or down naturally between scans .10 to .20 anyway.

So far so good. Your creatine number from this doctor's (of law) perspective is fine.

Icemantoo

• daisybud
    Options
    Thanks Ice,

Thanks Ice,

I just thought that sounded like a big jump between tests.  :))

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Many things can affect your level

As Todd stated, dehydration, red meat intake prior to blood draw....etc etc.  Happy to see your smiling face on the site again.

Donna~

• dhs1963
    dhs1963 Member Posts: 513
    Options
    daisybud said:

Thanks Ice,

Thanks Ice,

I just thought that sounded like a big jump between tests.  :))

Creatinine is a proxy for kidney funtion

In the surgery, you lost some kidney function because you lost some kidney tissue.  You are still in the normal range.

In my case, I went from 0.7 to as high as 1.9, but I am back down to 1.4.  Note that I only show two digits.  That is the precision of the measurement.  Recently, I had 3 creatinine meaurements in 4 days (not for creatinine, but other reasons).  In that, the numbers varried from 1.32 to 1.47.

Note that the creatinine is hugely dependent on the level of hydration.  

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    Since I'm anemic I get blood

Since I'm anemic I get blood tests every three months. My typical level is .67, with the lowest at .6 and the highest at .88. But that was just once. Usually it's under 7. I also had a partial.

• lcsvb
    lcsvb Member Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2016 #11
    Options
    Mine was .8  just before

Mine was .8  just before surgery and then .8 and .7 fluctuating after partial. Moffitt doesn't even show beyond the 10s position so I assume we all fluctuate a lot in the hundredths!

• todd121
    edited May 2016 #12
    Options
    daisybud said:

It was .74 right before

Creatinine

Your numbers are great! Better than normal.

0.07 change is within noise. Mine varies from 1.6-1.8 all the time (I've been getting them every three months for the last 3 1/2 years).

You have nothing to worry about Kim. It's not a bit change. It's a tiny change. :)

Before my radical, I was 1.1. Then went to 1.9 in the hospital after my radical. Then it's been 1.6-1.8 ever since. It varies by 0.1 or 0.2 all the time.

Find something else to worry about. :)

Todd

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited May 2016 #13
    Options
    Don't stress over Creatinine.

If your Dr. of Onc nurse doesn't say anything, it's usually because there is nothing to worry about.  And believe me, they would let you know.  Creatinine is the other end of the teeter-totter with eGFR.  If one goes up, the other is down and vice-versa.  We all start out pretty much at "perfect" at birth.  As we age, so do our kidneys.  At my age, if I had both kidneys, my eGFR would be stable at 60.  With one kidney, no matter how you slice it (pun intented) I can stretch mine to between 38-40 now.  I have found that if I hydrate more than usual prior to the labs, they are closer to a "norm" reading.

So, at ten years living with one kidney, I'm more concerned about the BP, blood glucose, and reds and whites.  Even having a protein filled dinner will show in your blood, as the Creatinine level is a breakdown of proteins, whether bllod cells or what you ate.

As I said, don't stress.  And enjoy the sunshine this weekend.  My daughter actually gets to celebrate her 50th birthday on the real Memorial Day this year...the 30th.  Some of you are too young to remeber that it was always on the 30th, not on the Last Monday of the month.

donna_lee

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited May 2016 #14
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread,

Not to hijack the thread, Donna_Lee, but you do not look old enough to have a 50 year-old daughter. Wow, what's your secret, lol?

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the SAME THING!!!

Maybe she used a really old picture.  hahahaha   Donna_Lee....you look Mahvalous!!

Donna~

• medic1971
    medic1971 Member Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Here's what mine did

My eGFR 10 weeks before surgery was 78 and 6 weeks post-op it was 97

My Creatinine 10 weeks before surgery was 1.15 and 6 weeks post-op it was 0.95

I am not sure why my kidney function improved after losing part of my right kidney, but I will say that I've made significant changes in my diet.  I drink about 3 liters of water a day now; before surgery I drank maybe 1/2 a liter.

Even at 0.87 you are still in the lower range of "normal".

• daisybud
    edited May 2016 #17
    Options
    medic1971 said:

Here's what mine did

My eGFR 10 weeks before surgery was 78 and 6 weeks post-op it was 97

My Creatinine 10 weeks before surgery was 1.15 and 6 weeks post-op it was 0.95

I am not sure why my kidney function improved after losing part of my right kidney, but I will say that I've made significant changes in my diet.  I drink about 3 liters of water a day now; before surgery I drank maybe 1/2 a liter.

Even at 0.87 you are still in the lower range of "normal".

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. Nice to hear the input!

Kim