Metal taste in mouth

Options
Kiki2016
Kiki2016 Member Posts: 31

Hi all,

Has anybody found a good remedy to get rid of the metallic taste in your mouth due to chemo?  I have tried using biotene and found it only provides very temporary relief.  I literally cannot stand it as I have no appetitte, don't want to drink fluids which I know I need to, and am just really frustrated.  Would appreciate any suggestions anybody can offer.

Thanks all,

Comments

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    edited May 2016 #2
    Options
    Metal taste

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Have you tried drinking flavored water or lemonade. I found that the citrus helped. Are you using plastic utensils, that also helped dull the metal taste. I hope others will have some more suggestions for you. Love Surf

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions

Surf gave great tips.  I would just add - try to see if certain foods are triggers.  For me, it was anything with a tomato base.  I also always packed some sugarfree mints.  I know drinking seems like a chore, but I also found hydration to help get rid of the metallic taste.

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I found stainless steel utinsels

Worked better, or plastic.  Diet Pepsi in a plastic bottle helped.  Mostly I ate whatever I was hungry for. Could stand green vegetables while on chemo, and I love green vegetables.  One thing g that helped me with the metal taste was ice cups.  They come in the freezer section in cherry, lemonade, and blue raspberry.  But I could eat it with a stainless steel spoon.  Go figure...  whatever works, and I went through big box of heavy duty plastic forks knives an spins from Costco.  

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    edited May 2016 #5
    Options
    avoid foods from metal can

I didn't experience the metal taste, but people that did said they were avoiding canned foods and were eating either fresh or frozen.

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    edited May 2016 #6
    Options
    I second Surf's flavored water suggestion

I also found that the metallic taste was keeping me from drinking enough water during chemo -- drinking plain water tasted like sucking on a piece of metal! -- and it's so very important that you stay hydrated during chemo.

What worked for me was Crystal Light -- not using it full strength, but just sprinkling a little in a glass of water to give it some flavor.  And Crystal Light comes in so many flavors, it was kind of fun to try a different flavor each time I went to the grocery store.  For whatever reason, the Fruit Punch flavor worked the best for me, but Surf's right that many women find citrus flavors work to cut the metal taste.

Traci

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

I second Surf's flavored water suggestion

I also found that the metallic taste was keeping me from drinking enough water during chemo -- drinking plain water tasted like sucking on a piece of metal! -- and it's so very important that you stay hydrated during chemo.

What worked for me was Crystal Light -- not using it full strength, but just sprinkling a little in a glass of water to give it some flavor.  And Crystal Light comes in so many flavors, it was kind of fun to try a different flavor each time I went to the grocery store.  For whatever reason, the Fruit Punch flavor worked the best for me, but Surf's right that many women find citrus flavors work to cut the metal taste.

Traci

A straw

I can still bring back that memory of the metallic taste!  It was like chewing aluminum foil! Oh, it was awful.  I would want to eat something, and just couldn't.  I found drinking through a straw by putting it in the back on my mouth worked best (also worked good with colonoscopy prep - remember that folks).  I had a lot of smoothies and milkshakes and for some reason ice cream was ok for me. 

Good luck.  Whatever works for you is appropriate at this time.  The straw thing worked for me.

Suzanne

• Kiki2016
    Options
    Thank you all

Thanks for all the tips!  Really appreciate it.

• CoastalMom
    CoastalMom Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Metal Taste

What helps me with this and I still do this is when they access your port,  chew peppermint gum or suck on a peppermint.  It does help.  Try it!  Good luck!!!

• LanieM414
    LanieM414 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Metal Taste

What helps me with this and I still do this is when they access your port,  chew peppermint gum or suck on a peppermint.  It does help.  Try it!  Good luck!!!

This does work when they

This does work when they access your port. No more metal taste!

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hey Kiki

Like Camul, I found that cold things help me. Popsicles, frozen bananas. I kept some ice cream around. Unfortunately, it would also give me chills!

Best wishes!

• Kiki2016
    Options
    Helpful advice

Thanks all--helpful suggestions.  Plastic utensils and straws help a lot.  Still don't have much of an appetite but I'm into the home strech.  One chemo to go.  Figure in about a month from now I should start to feel better and be able to eat "normally" again.  I am sure surgery and radiation will present new challenges but hope to put chemo in the rear view mirror for good.