Lumpectomy or mastectomy

Kiki2016
Kiki2016 Member Posts: 31

hello all, I am new here.  I am 49 and was diagnosed with stage 2 invasive breast cancer on one side in Feb.  I  have completed 5 of 6 chemo's and surgery followed by radiation is next.  Have elected double mastectomy (based on input from oncologist and surgeon) and recon but getting cold feet.  2 other oncologists I talked to also recommended mastectomy.   Trying to decide if I can do a lumpectomy instead.  either way I need radiation.    I know I don't want to go through this treatment again But am so scared of having my breasts removed and going through recon.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Decisions

There are two issues here I think. One is if lumpectomy is even possible. It sounds like a total of three oncologists think you should get mastectomy if I am reading your post correctly. Also, remember that no one is forcing you to get recon. I think sometimes women just kind of think they have to. I was 47 and got a one sided mastectomy with skin saving procedure so I could decide later if I wanted to do more surgery. But my case was different because I had a 5cm tumor plus a 2 cm tumor in the lymph nodes with many positive nodes. I got a Grade III mastectomy and the recon would be difficult also with me needing a D cup size to match my "good side". Long story short, I am almost 4 years down the line, very active physically and have decided against the reconstruction. I suggest you make a pro/con list. My list had about 10 "cons" and the only "pro" was physical appearance. I know it's not easy to decide and I think women who get recon are awesome, so good luck with whatever you choose. Stay strong! Hugs, Anna

• Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member

Hi Kiki,

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  It is tough situation and tough to make life changing decisions like this one but I'm glad you are reaching out.  You'll gather enough information and will make the decision that was right for you.  My situation was similar to yours.  At 40, I had surgery first, then chemo and no radiation.  I was also stage 2 and my cancer was also invasive (invasive lobular).  I was told that being small breasted and having cancer in two locations in the same breast that a lumpectomy on that breast was not possible.  I then opted for a double mastectomy.  For me, with a strong family history, and not wanting to deal with the worry that I may get cancer again in my other breast, the double mastectomy was the right choice.  For me, also, reconstruction was the right choice.  In the same surgery as the mastectomy they gave me expanders.  I don't know if you will have expanders but if you want to talk about them, I'm happy to answer any of your questions.  I found the second surgery where they swap out the expanders with the actual implants to be really easy.  I also found the first surgery (mastectomies), physically speaking, to be pretty easy.  I think I had it easier than most because I was small breasted, physically fit and relatively young.  I'm happy with the results of my reconstruction.  Clothed, nobody would ever guess that I have had reconstruction and even in a bikini I think if anyone notices, they just think that I have had augumentation.  While, naked there is no question that my breasts aren't real, the scars have faded and things don't look ugly by any stretch.  So, just let me know if there is anything specific I can address for you.

All the best,

Clementine

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    So hard to make these

So hard to make these decsions- I had a lumpectomy-no one ever even mentioned mysectomy-so I did not have to decide.

I am sure others here will have so insight and suggestions for your..

Denise

• CoastalMom
    CoastalMom Member Posts: 38
    Hard Decision

I was diagnosed with HER2+ and after going through first round of chemo came the decision about surgery.  I chose a lumpectomy per recommendations by my surgeon.  Yes it is a hard decision.

• Kiki2016
    Kiki2016 Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2016 #6
    My decision

thanks all for your words of wisdom.  I have decided to move forward with a double mastectomy and reconstruction using expanders.  To say I am terrified of the surgery would be an understatement but given family history, my current diagnosis, and thinking about the future risk of recurrence or a cancer in the other breast feel it's the right move.  Hoping I can power through, get through the radiation, and just move forward with the rest of my life.  Have a lot of confidence in my plastic surgeon and surgeon and they work together often.  My last chemo is next week, then a  sentinal node biopsy and my surgery about 6 weeks later.  

• Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    Best decision

Kiki,

First, I am sorry that you even have to make this decision.  After my 1st surgery, I found this site and the advice I found was very helpful.  I am now at 6 years and I am so glad I decided to have a double mastectomy with reconstruction.  Of course, you have to make the best decision for yourself.  My focus was to get rid of the cancer first.  I don't have any regrets.  Clementine's advice was great.  An informed decision is the best decision.  Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions.

Merry

• Sjl24230
    Sjl24230 Member Posts: 1
    Help please

i was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer in May 2016. I have had lumpectomy and sentinol node biopsy. I thank God for negative lymph nodes but my margins are not clear. I go back to the doctor tomorrow to discuss another surgery. Should I just have more tissue removed or mastectomy? I do not want to end up butchering my breast with multiple surgeries. 

When I was first diagnosed they said I was in very early stage and lumpectomy is what they suggested. I wanted to conserve the breast as much as possible but after not having clear margins I am unsure what I want to do. I don't want to have a worry if they have gotten it all or if it is going to come back. Please help.

• karlawel
    karlawel Member Posts: 12
    Same Boat

Hi Kiki,

I understand tough call, I was about in the same boat as you are......started out with lumpectomy and they did not get clear margins and I had sentinol node biopsy which showed cancer in the nodes.  So then they recommended a mast but I didn't want to come back in 10 years and have to have other breast removed then, so I elected to have Bi laterel Mast with expanders put in for reconstruction.......all went well for me, I had surgery first then I did chemo then I had to do radation and that wasn't bad while doing treatments.  But about 2 months after finishing radation I developed sores on the breast that was radated.  Long story short I had to have expander removed and now I am about to have another surgery to build me a boob in July.  If I can help you any way please let me know!!

Karla

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Sjl24230 said:

Help please

i was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer in May 2016. I have had lumpectomy and sentinol node biopsy. I thank God for negative lymph nodes but my margins are not clear. I go back to the doctor tomorrow to discuss another surgery. Should I just have more tissue removed or mastectomy? I do not want to end up butchering my breast with multiple surgeries. 

When I was first diagnosed they said I was in very early stage and lumpectomy is what they suggested. I wanted to conserve the breast as much as possible but after not having clear margins I am unsure what I want to do. I don't want to have a worry if they have gotten it all or if it is going to come back. Please help.

same as you

I had two lumpectomies in 2011 (second one was due to unclear margins). So far I am doing OK but I fear facing cancer again. Getting tests done every year (I get both MRI and mammo due to the ATM gene I carry) is nerve-wracking.  But I think you still need to check after a mastectomy. It is a hard decision to make and only you need to feel comfortable with it. Good luck!