Numbness, tingles and pain in hands

Options
Doodlebutt1
Doodlebutt1 Member Posts: 3

Hello everyone. I am a breast cancer survivor and am in remission. I had a double mastectomy and had both of my auxillary lymph nodes taken out. I have been doing well other than pain in my left breast (or what's left of it). I had radiation therapy on my left side since the cancer was on the left side. Well the problem I'm having now is with my hands. I have been working harder at my cleaning job and ever since both of my hands have been going numb very easily. I wake up unable to feel my hands or fingers. I can't even use my phone anymore without my hands going numb. It's starting to drive me crazy, I could really use some help with this.

Many thanks to whomever can help me,

Lisa Schmidt 

Comments

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    CIPN

Hi, Lisa

I am between surgery and radiation and have been having difficulty with hands and feet also.  I have looked into possible causes online (I know, sometimes our worst enemy).  There is a condition called Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neuropathy, and it can come on during treatment, or even months/years after.  It us caused by certain drugs - for me, probably taxotere.  You might mention this to your PCP or MO.  I am making a special appointment for this reason.

I have found that Ibuprophen gives a little relief, but holding items for even just a few minutes causes pins and needles, and it seems to be worse in the evening after I finally slow down.  Try also to pay attention if you have any twitching.  Mention also if it wakes you at night.

Hope this helps!

Kathy

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    edited May 2016 #3
    Options
    Hi Lisa, just wondering...

Hi Lisa, just wondering....did you have chemo? You didn't mention it, so I am wondering if you did.

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Lisa!

I have the same problem to include a constant tingling and stinging sensation in my fingers. My feet are so

numb I have difficulty feeling the floor and my balance is terrible.  My Onc says there are medications (Lyrica is one) that can help, but she didn't want to subject me to the side effects of that drug either.  there is a possiblity that it will go away on its own but there's no telling how long that will be. 

Good luck!