How can I help YOU?

awsmGirl
awsmGirl Member Posts: 38

I am very much a service-oriented person, and this experience of being diagnosed with Breast Cancer, and to have to turn to so many people for help and support, has thrown my usual ways upside-down.  

It's hard to ask, it's hard to receive, and yet I know that i MUST do these things in order to survive.  So i am learning new things -- one of the hardest is opening up about my life and experiences, since even though i am generally a very open, sunny, happy person, at the same time I am very private about my personal life: i'm a textbook example of an Extroverted Introvert!  I have set about doing regular writings to share my status, the things i am experiencing, which i'm going to collate into a Blog soon.

Yet my basic nature is to want to GIVE, to want to help others.  I want to find ways to help YOU, my fellow BC girls.

What are ways in which i can be of service?  How, as i move along this journey, might i help to make the day better for those who work with/for me (the medical professionals), my caregivers, my supportive family, friends, etc...?

Thanks for your ideas and input!

~awsmGirl

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Helping Others

Even during breast cancer treatment I agree that there ARE things that we can do for those around us. My chemo took place during the summer months and I brought many pounds of home-grown tomatoes to the nurses in the infusion center. We also put some at the nurses station so that other patients and their families could help themselves to them. I am an avid reader and had a treasure trove of paperbacks at home, so I donated them to the infusion center. Not everyone can afford to buy books but they love to read. One afternoon I even babysat for my neighbor's 3 year old. I just made sure she understood that we'd be reading stories or watching a film since I wasn't able to run around after her. My clergyman said something during that period that still resonates with me. When I was at about as low a point as I could be and he was fielding offers to help he said, "Please let  them to help you. By doing so, you are allowing THEM to do a good deed." By letting others provide dinner there was one less chore my poor husband and teenage daughter had to do. It helped me, my family and those who did the cooking. It is SO hard to accept help when you are so used to being the one who gives help.

You have such a good outlook. I wish you only the best through this process. By the way, I finished treatment almost 6 years ago. You can do this.

IRENE

• awsmGirl
    awsmGirl Member Posts: 38
    Thanks!

I am trying to walk a good road on my journey, and the feedback really helps.  Laughing