Hyperbaric feedback?

Bunnymom
Bunnymom Member Posts: 212 Member

anyone out there gone through hyperbaric oxygen treatment? I finished my 12th dive today. I've been approved for 40. I realize healing takes place very slowly. I'm told it takes about 20 dives before you may even begin to see improvement.

I'd like to know more about your hyperbaric experience. How long before you saw improvement? Did you benefit? Any thoughts are whole heartedly appreciated. 

Bunnymom

Comments

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    HBO

I did 38 of my 40 dives, 28 before oral surgery and 10 after.  Having as much blood flow through the damaged jawbone was necessary to increase the odds of me being able to get the implant posts for a permanent lower denture.

• Bunnymom
    Bunnymom Member Posts: 212 Member
    Sash

thanks for the feedback. I'm thrilled that things are working out for you. I'm hoping hyperbaric will help with the radiation injury. did you have pain before you started? if you did, how long, or how many dives before you began to see any improvement?

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    edited May 2016 #4
    Dives

I didn't have pain, but needed it for preparing for surgery to my lower jaw which has lots of radiation damage.  Nothing was done until I completed 28 of my 30 dives as that is when the surgery was scheduled for.  Then 2 weeks of normal healing then back into HBO for 10 more sessions to complete the healing process.  I never had pain from any of my treatments.

• Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member
    edited May 2016 #5
    HBO a waste for me

I've had two rounds of HBO dives and saw no improvement after either of them.  They were a huge time-suck--around 150 hours that could have been used for a lot of other things.  And, the bills to my insurance were huge--the only time in my 7+ years of treatment that I felt bad for my insurance company.  There is no science to demonstrate that the potential benefits justify the time and expense of HBO.  It just comes under "Well, it can't hurt, and it might help, so why not?"  At the end of my second round, the HBO doc told me that "The insurance company says it OK to have 10 more dives, on my recommendation."  I looked right at her and said, "This has been a total waste of my time and my insurance company's money--there is no way I'm coming back for more of this.  You'll never see me here again."

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Norcross

I too had HBO twice, once to help stop Norcross a flesh eating bacteria that was giving me a lot of problem, I did 40 dives. Then I had to do another 10 dive to pull a tooth. I guess it all worked because I am still here.

Tim