Interesting 60 Minutes story on Duke U. trials using polio

Options
beaumontdave
beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member

Watched the program tonight and was impressed at the possible breakthrough of the researchers using the polio virus to weaken tumors while, at the same time, awakening the hosts immune system to the presence of any and all cancer cells, which the T-cells would destroy. They were dealing with Glioblastomas [which my wife had] but indicate this could be a systemic treatment for all solid tumors, specifically mentioning lung, liver, breast, and colon cancers. From a stage one trial, it's now to be fast-tracked by the FDA with Duke working with a big Pharma company [forgot which one]. I found it very interesting, I'd heard something about it before, but now I'm going to follow it closely........................................................Dave

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    I feel like there's got to be

I feel like there's got to be a big breakthrough coming soon. Maybe this is it. I've long thought it would be a virus that will kill cancer cells. I hope they find something really useful in my lifetime. I want to die knowing that nobody ever has to live with this fear again or lose loved ones from children to parents to pets to it. Thanks for sharing that Dave!

Jan 

• SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Member Posts: 123
    edited May 2016 #3
    Options
    I do recall seeing something

I do recall seeing something about this - and that's awesome! I think it had to do with glioblastoma when I saw it, but thought, I wonder if they can use it for other cancers. I did read of "spontaneous" remission when some folks were given TDAP vaccines. Perhaps it's because it causes an immune system response?

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited May 2016 #4
    Options
    Some info……
    Some info……

Duke University:
    “PVS-RIPO is infused directly into a patients’ tumor (e.g. in the brain). This assures that the maximal amount of virus is delivered directly to the tumor………………
    ……………….Unraveling why and how the immune system attacks tumors that were infused with PVS-RIPO is a major research goal in the Gromeier Laboratory.”
    From: http://www.cancer.duke.edu/btc/modules/Research3/index.php?id=41

Anything can kill cancer cells. The problem isn’t finding what will kill the rogue cells, the problem is (and always has been) with targeting the rogue cells specifically without damaging good cells. So far, only one’s immune system is capable of that chore.

In this case (PVS-RIPO experiment), the components are injected directly into the tumor and the immune system, sensitized to the component, attacks the tumor containing the component.

Sounds great, as all these “advances” do, but the problem of targeting the cells and tumors specifically and directly, without physical injection of a component, remains to be the problem.

Teaching the immune system to attack the rogue cell without adding a component to the rogue cell, is what will be the “cure”. So far, there is no advancement in that area.

Oh well…..
  • NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I Think I DVR'D It

When it first aired.  Think it may have been the summer of 2015, I remember I was in chemo, or maybe just finished, and wishing they had hurried it up a bit more. Truly remarkable story. 

I am hoping they can speed all of this up.  Seems this has been going on so long, that we have to be getting close.  

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited May 2016 #6
    Options
    Chinese herbs.....

Chinese herbs.....

Wormwood (Qing Hao) has been around a long time and used for Malaria. More recent news has included cancer as another use for this herb!

I had not included this herb in the list of herbs I had used from 2006 to 2008/9 in my fight against cancer, but it is going to be included this time around.

It's funny how the most simple things; the least expensive things, can do what the 10 thousand dollar a shot chemical can do.

Wormwood (Qing Hao) !

Sloan Kettering

Pub med

Be healthy,

John