Recurrent breast cancer for fourth time after TRAM Flap

CeceB9
CeceB9 Member Posts: 7

Good Morning! I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer,I had a TRAM Flap done last year,will be seeing the Surgeon on Monday, I have complete faith in my Doctors,I'm triple a negative. Was diagnosed the first time in 2008,second time in 2014,Third time in 2015 and now it's all on the same side,has anyone gone thru this? I'm overwhelmed by this and I knew that the cancer can be aggressive...but having to go thru this again is mind blowing!

Comments

• Barb A
    Barb A Member Posts: 123
    Been through it twice

Hi Cece, I'm so sorry you have been through so much and now a fourth time. Wow! No wonder you are overwhelmed. Have you had chemo, rads, uni-lateral or bi-lateral mastectomy? Other treatments? Have your margins been clear, or do you have lymph node involvement?

I had DCIS in the right breast in 2000. Even though it was considered pre-cancerous (at the time), it was in over 50% of the breast I couldn't do a lumpectomy, so I had a uni-lateral mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction. No chemo or rads, but took Tamoxifen for five years. In 2007, I found a large lump in the reconstructed breast. I had a lumpectomy, chemo, rads and Arimidex for five years. I cringe when others tell me they don't worry about getting cancer again because they had a mastectomy. It can happen, so I remind people to be diligent about their self exams.

I found out through a new Onc in 2013, that I not only had DCIS in 2000, I had IDC. I didn't know enough back then to ask for my pathology reports. Had I seen that, I would have questioned the no chemo or rads decision. My second cancer was IDC. I was told it probably developed due to a missed or dropped cancer cell from my mastectomy. I used to think that if only I had chemo or rads, I wouldn't have gotten it again. I've come to realize that one never knows the answers to that, and have to trust original decisions. I also learned to ask a lot more questions, review all my reports, etc.  

I don't know a lot about triple negative, so hopefully someone else can chime in. My cancers were PR positive. No one else in my family has had breast cancer, but other various cancers.

I'm sending you hugs and prayers.

Barb A

• CeceB9
    Hello! I had a mastectomy the

Hello! I had a mastectomy the first time along with chemo,then I had reconstruction surgery with an implant,the second time removal of the tumor under the skin,had chemo and radiation,the third time TRAM Flap and radiation now I'll be looking forward to another surgery, yesterday I freaked out from reading the Petscan report and had an appt with the Radiation Oncologist,she had calmed me down and explained to me about it.We had talked about the treatment plan and also she was going to talk to the Surgeon and figure out the plans,I have an appt with him on Monday...It looks like Ill be having surgery and radiation treatments,Ill know more on Monday when I see the Surgeon.Thank you so much for the feedback...

• CeceB9
    edited May 2016 #4
    Oh yeah I forgot, I had some lymph nodes removed the first time

Oh yeah I had some lymph nodes removed along with the mastectomy the first time.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    I am so very sorry - such a horrible adventure

and emotional roller coaster.  This sucks!!!!

again, I am so very sorry.

Vicki Sam

• CeceB9
    VickiSam said:

I am so very sorry - such a horrible adventure

and emotional roller coaster.  This sucks!!!!

again, I am so very sorry.

Vicki Sam

Thank You...

Thank You...

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    FOUR? times?

I am so sorry for all you're going through and have been through.  I can't even imagine, but I imagine instead of getting easier, it becomes more frightening.  Hang tough and please keep us updated on your progress.

Suzanne

• Gm2873
    Gm2873 Member Posts: 65
    Genetic testing

Have you had genetic testing? When I got cancer first time, I had chemo and a tram flap. Second time around (20 years later), I got it in the other breast. I had genetic testing and it turned out I'm BRCA2 positive. No one else in my family tested positive. My Oncologist thinks maybe my Dad and his mother were, but both have passed away, so don't know for sure. No history of breast cancer on either side. 

So sorry you are having to go through this. It is such a shock when you find out it's back. Hoping you have no metastasis or lymph node involvement. I'm ER/PR/HER2 positive so had chemo, mastectomy (no reconstruction this time), radiation to sacrum(small metastasis there) and radiation to chest wall. Now on aromatase inhibitor and herceptin indefinitely. Doping well and living life as fully as possible. Don't beat yourself up about past decisions. You can't change that, and you really don't know if it would have had any effect on your current situation. 

• CeceB9
    edited May 2016 #9
    Genetic Testing

Hello! Yes I recently had genetic testing and turned out that we're not carriers of the genes for breast cancer and neither side of my family don't have a history of breast cancer except for my cousin on my mom's side,my Uncles daughter was just recently diagnosed. Thank You so much for the feedback and truly appreciated that knowing that I'm not alone on having to deal with this... Will keep everyone posted.

• CeceB9
    Surgery scheduled

Hello! I wanted to let you know that I'm scheduled for surgery on the 29th of June. I have been so overwhelmed and stressed out about everything lately, Trying to get my house cleaned,errands and two of my sister's are coming in from out of State on the 25 th of June,plus my son will be graduating on the 25 th from high school and plus apptss...I know that I need to breathe...lol

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    Deep breath in,

Deep breath out!  Repeat! Sorry to hear that you're facing this a fourth time. I had two sisters helping me and they are priceless.  Stay strong.

• peony
    edited June 2016 #12
    Just curious...

What exactly is a TRAM Flap?

• peony
    peony said:

Just curious...

What exactly is a TRAM Flap?

Found this

in the abreviations list:   Transverse Rectus Abdominis Myocutaneous flap.

• CeceB9
    Had Surgery

Hello! I had my surgery on the 29th of June and it went well,he removed the mass and a small piece of muscle.I'm seeing the Surgeon tomorrow morning for a follow up.I still can't totally lift my arm a lot but am exercising it everyday. I'm so glad that the surgery is over with but not quite sure about what the Dr will say about treatment after surgery like Radiation,won't know til tomorrow...