Thin Tumor in Cecum, Has Anyone Else Had This? Please Help

Options
jters
jters Member Posts: 4

Thin Tumor in Cecum, Has Anyone Else Had This?  Please Help

My colonoscopy showed a tumor in my cecum.  The tumor is thin and unobstructive, 3 cm(1 ¼ inches) long by 3 mm (1/8 inch) thick.  The biopsy with cold forceps during the colonoscopy showed no sign of cancer.  The tumor is firm to hard.  The doctor said it did not develop from a polyp.

I believe the tumor is scar tissue on the outside wall of the cecum that is pushing the wall in and looks like a tumor.  The scar tissue may be due to robotic surgery 18 months ago.  There is an incision in this area from the robot, I started having pressure in this area right after the robotic surgery and I had significant bleeding after the surgery.

The radiologist did not see anything in this area from the CT scan.  The oncological surgeon said there may be scar tissue there, but it was difficult to tell.  He only noticed this on the CT scan because he knew exactly where to look.

My colorectal surgeon believes the growth is a rare tumor in the wall of the cecum.  He wants to do another colonoscopy so that he can see for himself where exactly the tumor is, feel it and take more biopsies.

After the colonoscopy he wants to do surgery to see if it is cancerous and take out whatever is cancerous.

Four questions:

1.     Has anyone else had a thin tumor in their cecum?  What was it?  What was the outcome?    

2.    Has anyone else had a thin tumor?  What was it?  What was the outcome?    

3.    Is there a way to tell whether this is scar tissue or a tumor without surgery?

4.    Who is the best colorectal surgeon?  I want to go to the best in case I have a major problem.

Thank you all in advance.

Jters.

Comments

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    My cecum was removed as part of my surgery

I had appendix cancer.  The only way to know for certain that a growth is/is not cancer is a biopsy and pathology.  Tumor does not equal cancer.  Tumor means a growth.

If you want the best surgeon/medical team, you might want to consider going to a cancer center like Sloan Kettering in NYC, where there is a large group of surgeons and oncologists who specialize in colorectal cancers.  There are other cancer centers or specialty groups throughout the country.  I go to Sloan Kettering.

By the way, loss of the cecum has not affected how my bowels work.  I lost the cecum, and 2 six-inch segments of my colon, from very different areas, and still function perfectly normally.

• jters
    Options
    abrub said:

I had appendix cancer.  The only way to know for certain that a growth is/is not cancer is a biopsy and pathology.  Tumor does not equal cancer.  Tumor means a growth.

If you want the best surgeon/medical team, you might want to consider going to a cancer center like Sloan Kettering in NYC, where there is a large group of surgeons and oncologists who specialize in colorectal cancers.  There are other cancer centers or specialty groups throughout the country.  I go to Sloan Kettering.

By the way, loss of the cecum has not affected how my bowels work.  I lost the cecum, and 2 six-inch segments of my colon, from very different areas, and still function perfectly normally.

Thin Tumor in Cecum, Has Anyone Else Had This? Please Help

abrub, thank you.   I greatly appreciate your comments. I kayak also.

• jters
    edited May 2016 #4
    Options
    abrub said:

Thin Tumor in Cecum or Anywhere in Colon, Has Anyone Else Had Th

Abrub, is there a colorectal surgeon or oncological team that you would recommend at Sloan?

Have you heard who may be the best there?

Thank you.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited May 2016 #5
    Options
    1.)   Has anyone else had a

1.)   Has anyone else had a thin tumor in their cecum?  What was it?  What was the outcome?    

Mine was larger 5 cm Long 6 cm Wide.  Was pretty advanced.  Heavy lymph node involvment.  Surgery 15 months ago, followed by 6 months of chemo.  Scan two weeks ago, and I am still all clear.  Pretty much things are normal for the most part.

4.   Who is the best colorectal surgeon?  I want to go to the best in case I have a major problem.

I went to MSK like abrub did.  I also had my appendix removed, it is part of the normal course for this type of cancer I was told.  I look at it is a benefit, got two surgeries for the price of one ;)    If you are in NYC area, MSK would be the clear choice to me.  I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone on the staff who is not going to be excellant, I had the head of the department do my surgery.  The chips sort of fell that way.  Texas has MD Anderson.  And there are other places throughout the country.  

I am pretty convinced that if I had gone to someone more local (my colonscopy doctor said pretty much any surgeon can do this type of surgery nowadays) I would really be up the creek without a paddle today.  I was in and out of the hospital in four days.   I think I was starting to feel okay in about a week.  

• abrub
    Options
    jters said:

Thin Tumor in Cecum or Anywhere in Colon, Has Anyone Else Had Th

Abrub, is there a colorectal surgeon or oncological team that you would recommend at Sloan?

Have you heard who may be the best there?

Thank you.

MSK

The colorectal surgeon will work with a colorectal oncologist. My surgeon there is Dr. Paty. My oncologist there has left, and Dr. Paty has been following me. I think he's fantastic. There are other top surgeons there.

Alice

• RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    abrub said:

MSK

The colorectal surgeon will work with a colorectal oncologist. My surgeon there is Dr. Paty. My oncologist there has left, and Dr. Paty has been following me. I think he's fantastic. There are other top surgeons there.

Alice

Dr. Paty

Dr. Paty is the best!  That man gave me hope when 9 other doctors, 3 radiologists and 2 oncologists could not.  Not to mention a fabulous outcome from surgery!

• Incha1
    Incha1 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Cecum Polyp

In June 2014 I had a polyp in the cecum that could not be taken out by a colonoscopy.  I had the surgery-. Due to the biopsy 1/2 my colon (cecum), ileum & small piece of my small intestine was taken out. 6months of 5 FU. It was said in the biopsy 24 lyph nodes were tested & 12 were cancer. Due to this sugery my bowel function is not doing well. I asked the Dr. when will it be normal & he said years. So as I saw in one of the comments that a removal of their cecum did not cause them any bowel disfunction. My CT scans & CEA were in normal range & CEA was going down until last November. Although I am in the normal range 2.9 it concerns me. Does any one know if it just fluctuates. Well last week I had my blood work & tomorrow I have my CT scan. I hope all is normal. I have been so called stable. One of my other question is my disfunctional bowel due to the removal of the ileum & some of my small intestine.?

• abrub
    Options
    CEAs can fluctuate for many

CEAs can fluctuate for many reasons. Mine bounced up and down between 2 and 5. As for normal bowel, a 30 day course of GI Revive finally normalized things for me. I've been normal ever since.  I lost several sections of my colon, as well as my cecum and part of my ileum.  I was about a year out when I took the GI Revive  (5g or 7 capsules per day for 30 days.  Order online.)

• Pat65
    Pat65 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Dr. Paty

Dr. Paty is the best!  That man gave me hope when 9 other doctors, 3 radiologists and 2 oncologists could not.  Not to mention a fabulous outcome from surgery!

Will you please share your

Will you please share your entire story with me. I need hope

• Pat65
    Pat65 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    abrub said:

Appendix cancer

Had your appendix cancer gone to your colon. Please share your story with me