3 years minus 1 month

donfoo
donfoo Member Posts: 1,773 Member
edited May 2016 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

June 4, 2013 - the last day of treatment. It's been rare days during the past three years when concern about recurrence flitted and danced across the conscious - not all that surprising when one possesses ultimate confidence in the team of doctors, their collective, boundless expertise, and the best treatment plan available.

Interesting that during the past month or so, that bundle of plastic hospital bands lying on the pile of desk clutter have received a daily gentle, slow, and reflective coddling between thumb and first finger.

Most know the "run of the mill" HPV+ diagnosis is now more commonly paired with the three year milestone, whereupon doctors declare victory and offer that smile.

Not wanting to prematurely erupt a volcanic sigh of relief - It is still and just a month away. With bands in hand, eyes stealing glances at the mask on the back of the barn door, a palpable but quiet sense of tranquility is present, interrupted by a cautious peek or two in the rear view mirror, catching the road travelled since that fateful day when hearing about the killing monster that lie at the bottom of the throat.

Many of us have travelled the same road and live full and meaningful lives. Some, unfortunately, have not faired as well - only God know our fate. In some unexpected and serendipitous way, the experience has made me a better, more caring, and appreciative human being - And surely more grateful for the gift of each and every day.

Thoughts and prayers for all now part of our special family.

don

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Yes Don it does change how we see things.

Yes, it can change how we see things and really appreciate life so much more. I know I do see life a little different when I got my second chance at it. I have learned so much about how the body works that I took for granted. You are just a few months ahead of me. [31 months ~ Oct 2nd] A day I will never forget.

Congratulations and may all your tomorrows be better than your today's. I will never forget when we met and enjoyed talking with you, my friend.

Bill

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    Congrats on making it so far.

Congrats on making it so far. You have been an inspiration for all of us here. Thank you.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member

Don,

You have come a long way on this journey.  I am glad you and your team selected a path to your success.

I t sounds like your “new normal” is in a truly good spot.

Matt

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    edited May 2016 #5
    Congrats!

Hey Foo!

We started the journey at roughly the same time. I just hit 3 years and yes, it's a hugh statistic sigh of relief for sure. Congrats on reaching that milestone. Glad to hear you doing well!

Positive thoughts and prayers

• donfoo
    the door

Thanks all.  Debated whether to post the pic but over the years we've had a few mask threads. Try to see the light side of the image. Yeah, I did not wear the shades and was able to breath without gasping. :)

• donfoo
    the door

Thanks all.  Debated whether to post the pic but over the years we've had a few mask threads. Try to see the light side of the image. Yeah, I did not wear the shades and was able to breath without gasping. :)

seems you can no longer add image  https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzis8hq0lg41q05/2016-05-04 11.06.03.jpg?dl=0

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    edited May 2016 #8
    Chuffed Don mate. 

Chuffed Don mate. 

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    donfoo said:

the door

seems you can no longer add image  https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzis8hq0lg41q05/2016-05-04 11.06.03.jpg?dl=0

I thought it was great.

First off humor helps get through this journey. Second, it is what you had to have to succeed and I feel the newer ones should have the opportunity to see and prepare for this.  I believe somethings need to be known so they really know what to expect. Sure we will give all the support I can, but some things just need to be straightforward.

One of my doctors I had years ago when my lung collapsed for the second time, told me he would give me all the pain meds he could legally give me and it won't do a thing.  Well, I respect him for just telling me the truth and I can try to be prepared. He didn't lie, on a scale from 1 ~10, it was 11+ and the worst hour and a half I ever lived through. two shots on top of everything else and it didn't faze the pain, but it worked.

I put some photos in my Expressions and tried not to put too graphic, but I was cut ear to ear.

As for me, thanks for sharing.

Bill

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    3 years

Don, congratulations on the 3 year mark!  Fanastic!   I'm right behind you and June will be 3 years for me.

Keith

• Joanielo
    Joanielo Member Posts: 55
    Exciting!

Congratulations on the upcoming milestone. I am happy to hear that you are doing so well. I was just a little ahead of you during treatments so I am right there with you! 

Thanks for the update,

Joan

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 617 Member
    edited May 2016 #12
    Congratulations on hitting

Congratulations on hitting another milestone. Thank you too, for your sage advice and expressions of faith. You've helped a lot of people including me! 

• the_wife
    the_wife Member Posts: 184
    Awesome!

Congratulations!!! You're almost there! I hope you celebrate and make it a special day! I'm looking forward to hitting those annual milestones, too. In a few months, it will already be one year since hubby's diagnosis. 

May you have many more happy anniversaries!!

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Don

Wow it’s been 3 years already; man time is going fast just glad to hear and see you doing well. There are so many others whose story is quite different and it seems this year has been a really bad year. I lost a lot of friends in 2016 and the year is not halfway over yet. I found out last month that my old Church Pastor is dying of colon cancer, he is still a young man just a few years older than I am. All I can do is to keep praying for all of them.

Glad you are still a part of this wonderful team here on CSN H&N

Tim

• kdot2003
    kdot2003 Member Posts: 143
    I love Milestones

Don, 

Congratulations...so what if its early!!!  I love milestones :)

Karen

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    I'm late to this party...

But very happy for you Don! 

Barb K. in Buffalo