Waiting on genetic test results

Options
Jbakerwebb
Jbakerwebb Member Posts: 4

I'm scheduled for surgery next week. Still waiting on genetic testing results which will be deciding factor on what action. My question is: if I end up just doing lumpectomy and radiation can I request chemo?  I want nothing to do with another diagnosis of breast cancer and want to go all I can to prevent. I've got IDC with 1.3 cm tumor. Lots and lots of breast cancer in my small family. 

Comments

• DaraB
    DaraB Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Genetic Testing

I'm going through the same thing, extensive genetic testing and then determine extent of surgery and next steps.  Since you posted about a month ago, I'm wondering if you got your results?  I also have IDC a little under 2 cm.  I'm anxious to just get going as I lost my sister to breast cancer in October.  Her tumor however was 10 cm when she found it, so stage IV.  Hope your surgery went well and you are recooperating.  I'm the 4th in my family to have breast cancer, but the 7th to have a cancer diagnosis of any organ.  Hope you're do OK.  

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited June 2016 #3
    Options
    Wait and see..

I would wait and see what doctors recomend based on your tumor biology, cell grade, genetic results, etc. to decide whether or not you will need chemo. If chemo is not needed, I would not take it only because, in many cases, the same chemo cannot be given more than once -- in case you need to face this again (and I hope not). If they recomend it, then yes. Good luck! Keep us posted. xo

• Pink hope
    Pink hope Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Pleomorphic subtype of invasive lobular carcinoma

After receiving annual mammograms for over 20 years, I was recently diagnosed with 4.5 cm mass that was not found in diagnostic mammogram or ultrasound.  I mentioned breast changes so the radiation oncologist recommended a breast MRI.  Thus the mass was discovered.  Stage 2, grade 2, node negative, ER+P- and Her2-.  I had bilateral mastectomy and awaiting oncotype DX test.  My oncologist is leaning toward four rounds of chemo but is waiting on oncotype.  Lobular carcinoma is very sneaky and does not show up in mammogram or ultrasound.   Very, very distraught......