Home from the hospital

MAliceR
MAliceR Member Posts: 98

Hi all.

Well the surgery is done and after 5 days in the hospital I finally got home. The good news is the pathology report shows the make up of the tumor is the same as the 1st and 2nd time. My dr is still convinced we are dealing with slow growing leftovers. It was totally localized and other than the one spot none of the tissue on 4 inches of colon on either side of the tumor, the lymph nodes, fatty tissue or any of the scar tissue removed showed any cancer. My surgeon ended up taking 8 inches of colon just to be sure. I have lost a total of 17 inches between a former surgery and this one. So far everything is still working but I am having to reintroduce foods slowly over the next few weeks.

I have a lot of recovery ahead. I am probably doing better physically than emotionally. I feel like I have some post surgery depression. I went into it at a pretty low point. Thinking that is not helping. I am trying to focus on the positive prognosis and improving physically every day. I am very glad to be out of the hospital and almost completely off pain meds. Obly took tylenol today.

Blessings

MAlice

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    So good to hear from you

I am glad that you are home, and able to recouperarte in your own, comfy bed. Nothing better than sleeping in your own bed, after being in the hospital. 

Be good to yourself and take care not to let your emotions run away with you. Cancer knocks you for six, and it takes time to recover both physically and emotinally. 

I'm sure you remember to walk, walk, walk. 

Sue 

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Thanks for the update! I'm

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you received such great results! I hope your recovery is quick and seamless. Take care!

Jan

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    edited April 2016 #4
    Glad it went well

and that you are  at home and recovering. I hope your post surgical depression is short lived and you can concentrate on your recovery by thinking of the positive results. Take care of yourself, and best wishes for a quick recovery.

Grace/lizard44

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited May 2016 #5
    So Glad You Are Home

Take care and try to relax as much as possible.  Give yourself some time to do whatever make you feel beter.  Read, watch some tv, whatever...

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I'm glad you're on the other

I'm glad you're on the other side of the surgery, that the news is hopeful and positive. Now you've just to focus on healing, getting back to regular function, and losing the emotional funk. These aren't easy things, but Spring's a great time to find beauty and renewal, I hope you find whatever lifts you up...........................Dave

• ellend
    ellend Member Posts: 109 Member
    Glad you are back home

Sounds like the surgery went well and the news was positive. I hope you are able to find things that will help you through the physical and emotional trauma.

Ellen

• Noon32316
    Noon32316 Member Posts: 8
    Hugs to you MAlice

I'm glad that your surgery went well and the results are promising.  But so sorry that you're having a tough time emotionally. I greatly sympathesize and can only offer my prayers and positive thoughts for your speedy recovery, both physically and emotionally. On a different note, I love your Dr. Seuss picture. Before I was diagnosed, my niece was learning how to read and we were going through the Dr. Seuss book series. It was such a joyous time for me to watch her discover her love for reading and especially Green Eggs and Ham & Fox in Socks. Every time I see your picture, it reminds me of those moments. So thank you, for helping me smile again.