Surgery is done

Options
ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181

I was in hospital 5 days.They made the long incision.From bottom of breast all the way down.And I mean all the way down.They removed several tumors,Lymph nodes fatty lining of stomach that we knew had Cancer.Now they don't think it's Ovarian Cancer.So they are reasurchingit more with pathologist .Then I will start Chemo.I have never been so sore.So it's take it easy.Dont want to tear anything loose.Thank you for your Prayers and thoughts.I appriatte it.

Comments

• jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Options
    Keeping you in my prayers....

...and thoughts.  Sending big, gentle hugs!

Jenny

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Surgery is Over

I knew you would be back online once your surgery was over. Did you feel the Pink Bus out in the hospital parking lot on the day of your surgery? Abdominal surgery is tough but then again, so are you. I guess once the pathologists figure out exactly what kind of cancer you have then they can come up with an appropriate treatment plan. You are an experienced patient and WILL be able to deal with whatever they throw at you. 

May you have an uneventful recovery.

IRENE

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Wow

That's one long incision!! Like a zipper:)

It's good to hear from you and know you're safely back home. Yes, take it easy, don't tear anything. Heal up. Then move on to your next step. 

Thinking about you a lot. Sending good energy your way.

xoxo

Victoria

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    healing prayers

Sending you healing prayers, rest and get stronger for the next step in the battle.

• cati0314
    cati0314 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    Glad surgery is over!

I'm glad your surgery is over and you are  beginning to heal.  Thanks for letting us know.  Sending you prayers and hope!  Sharon D'Oria

• Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Surgery is over

I'm so glad the surgery is over and you are back on the boards.  You are one tough lady!  Sending hugs and encouragement your way.

Clementine

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    Options

Surgery is over

I'm so glad the surgery is over and you are back on the boards.  You are one tough lady!  Sending hugs and encouragement your way.

Clementine

Bless you, Pat

I can't even imagine the soreness, but we do know you're tough. Get the rest you need for healing. Hugs, Linda

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Adding prayers

Adding prayers and hoping that your recovery is swift.  Healing never happens fast enough, but later it will seem like no time at all!

Blessings!

Kathy

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Teach76 said:

Adding prayers

Adding prayers and hoping that your recovery is swift.  Healing never happens fast enough, but later it will seem like no time at all!

Blessings!

Kathy

You did it!

So happy surgery is over and healing has begun.  That sounds like one tough surgery.  Must be difficult not knowing (again) what type of cancer this is all about.  Hope they can figure that out soon and you can begin treatment with the knowledge that they will be treating the right type of cancer with the right chemo. 

Thanks for checking in.  Will keep you in my thoughts.

Suzanne

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Wow, I hope you heal quickly

Wow, I hope you heal quickly as possile. 

HUGS

Deniee

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm happy that your surgery is over.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that you will be able to rest and heal quickly. Love Surf

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    so glad you are done with the surgery.

Now another wait for the results but at least the surgery is over and you are moving forward.  SO glad you can move forward with the healing while thy figure out your cancer and treatment.  You have been thru so much.  

I am thinking of you.

Hugs and prayers,

Carol

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    edited May 2016 #14
    Options
    Thinking of you

So happy your surgery is over and you can begin the next step toward getting better with whatever the ONC"S and your plans are. Hope you have a recliner to rest and relax in while you are recovering from this surgery. Be careful what you do so you will not harm yourself after such a big surgery. All of us pink sisters are all behind you with thoughts and prayers.  Hugs   Pixie

• LorettaMarshall
    LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Pat~Say U R A bit sore? Many know exactly how U feel!

Hey Pat –

I’ve been praying for you, but missed your update on your surgery.  I’m Loretta from the Ovarian as well as the Peritoneal Cancer board.  The “fatty lining” is the omentum!  Now I never knew before that I had a “fatty lining” inside my abdomen that could be removed.  However, unfortunately, after surgery, I still had my fatty layer “outside”.  As a matter of fact, I now have a very heavy feeling stomach.  You will remember in our conversations that I had my ovaries, fallopian tubes, gallbladder, spleen, omentum and sections of my intestines removed. 

You had the same incision that I had, and sounds like you had Cytoreductive Surgery (CRS), like me.  I really didn’t know what your surgery was going to include.  Good that you were only in the hospital 5 days.  My incision broke open and I had a major infection.  I was in the hospital 42 days! 

And boy, did I hate to see those “physical therapists” pop their head in my hospital room door with a great big grin, and say, “Ready to go for a walk?”  Oooohhhh Noooo I wasn’t, but I managed to pull myself off the bed, and with the help of some strong men, I was able to get up and go for that dreaded walk.  And if that wasn’t torture enough, they came in one day, and said, “Do you have steps at home?”  “Well yes I do” was my answer.  So again with a grin, they said, “Well today we’re going to practice going up and down stairs!”  ---- YIPES.

Moreover, riding in an automobile was no easy task either.  I felt every “bump in the road”.  I found that riding with a pillow held tightly to my stomach helped a little.  But “little by little” I recovered, even though at first I wondered if I would ever be the same again.  Well, today, friends say, “You don’t look like you have cancer.”  I still have a “fat stomach”.  My weight is steady.  Actually, I “counted my last calorie” the day I was first diagnosed with “Peritoneal Carcinomatosis.  With a 2nd opinion that was “upgraded” to Ovarian cancer when tumors were also found in my ovaries as well.  So now, for treatment purposes, I am getting the same chemo combo that is often prescribed for Ovarian cancer, although my cancer wasn’t limited to my ovaries. 

So check in with us as well.  I must have missed your post, but am glad to know you’re doing well.  I identify totally with the long incision from between the breast to the pubic area!  I long ago exchanged my bikini for a woolen bathing suit that covered the knee.  But I don’t even wear that one now.  Moths have eaten a hole in the knee.  And my knees aren’t exactly what they used to be when I was “thin and young!”  As a matter of fact, I’m lucky to be able to get back up when I get down on my knees.  Hey things quit working as well at age 77, what can I say?  But I’m alive and enjoying a great quality of life for the shape I’m in.  I give God the credit for allowing me to remain sane and I still love to laugh with my family and friends. 

Okay, Pat, keep on “getting’ up” and let us know how you get along with the chemo regimen.  If you haven’t experienced life with chemotherapy, I could share with you some tips that I learned along the way.  I had my first series in the Spring of 2013, then Cytoreductive Surgery on July 1, 2013—and completed my second 6-treatment session of Carboplatin/Taxol on September 25, 2015. 

So keep the faith—there can still be a good quality of life after CRS and chemo, even if “fatigue” is your companion! 

Love Loretta

Peritoneal Carcinomatosis/Ovarian Cancer Stage IV

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Gentle hugs

I am happy that surgery is over and now let the healing begin. I wish a gentle touch type of recovery for you, I know it's not the easiest thing in the world but it's totally doable. 

Wishing you the best!

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    edited May 2016 #17
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I am still taking it easy.Want to heal good.No driving yet.I see surgeon next Tues. for checkup after surgery.Incision is healing good.Hope they have a ideal what kind of chemo I need.Hugs to everyone.

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Glad you came through surgery

Glad you came through surgery OK and are on the mend! Hugs!

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    edited May 2016 #19
    Options
    Pat-- just checking in on you

you have been thru the wringer-- wondering how you are doing ..

please  is know - when time permits!

Vicki Sam