Tongue discomfort

GavinP
GavinP Member Posts: 118
edited April 2016 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hi all,

Not sure if anbody remembers me but I was around here three years ago with a white patch on the right side of my tongue.

Turned out to be leukoplakia with moderate dysplasia (pre-cancer basically) I had the patch excised with laer ablation and was moitored closely for any further issues. 

July 2015 I was discharged from hospital but told to keep a close watch on any unusual developments.

Well, everything has been fine until around a month ago when I started noticing a small amount of discomfort (not pain) aound the area that was excised. This has continued over the last month and very gradually it's getting worse so that now I'm even feeling a little discomfort when I eat and I can feel "soreness" just when I'm sitting around not even doing anything with my tongue.

The actual tissue where the lesion was looks OK (no more white patches) it's scarred and I guess a little "tight" so I'm wondering whether this is something I should be concerned about or whether its just some sort of nerve damage caused by the earlier operation?

Given I've been dischared from hospital I thought I might have a word with my dentist but don't want to waste her time.

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Gavin

Gavin yes to both questions. I remember you back then and once in a while you still pop in. You have always been very helpful and supportive of everyone.

I feel if it didn't go away in a week or so and you have any concerns you should have it checked. It is much better to here it is nothing to be concerned, then, why haven't you been in sooner. It concerns you and you have been keeping a close eye on it but now I do agree to have it looked at.  I do hope it is nothing to be concerned with, and please let us know. You still are in my thoughts and prayers. I know that your kind remarks have helped many.

Bill

• GavinP
    wmc said:

Gavin

Gavin yes to both questions. I remember you back then and once in a while you still pop in. You have always been very helpful and supportive of everyone.

I feel if it didn't go away in a week or so and you have any concerns you should have it checked. It is much better to here it is nothing to be concerned, then, why haven't you been in sooner. It concerns you and you have been keeping a close eye on it but now I do agree to have it looked at.  I do hope it is nothing to be concerned with, and please let us know. You still are in my thoughts and prayers. I know that your kind remarks have helped many.

Bill

Thanks Bill...

I rang the dentist today and spoke to them. They said given my history I should be seen quickly so I've got an appointment for tomorrow.

Just hope the dentist doesn't think I'm wasting her time.

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    GavinP said:

Thanks Bill...

I rang the dentist today and spoke to them. They said given my history I should be seen quickly so I've got an appointment for tomorrow.

Just hope the dentist doesn't think I'm wasting her time.

Better safe than sorry...

Plus if she's a good dentist, she'll understand why you needed to be seen and reassure you that it's never a waste of time to be cautious. Hope you hear news that is a relief, so the worry goes away.

Barbara

• GavinP
    Saw dentist....

I saw dentist and she thinks its a bit of inflamed scar tissue. I've got to see if it settles down over the next momth. If not I need to go back and see her and I may have to be refered back to hospital to have the scar reduced.

She thinks it'll settle on its own though.

Was all positive news anyway.

Thanks all. :)

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    GavinP said:

Saw dentist....

I saw dentist and she thinks its a bit of inflamed scar tissue. I've got to see if it settles down over the next momth. If not I need to go back and see her and I may have to be refered back to hospital to have the scar reduced.

Good to hear Gavin

Scar tissue can cause problems for sure. Glad it is not a major concern. Still it is something that  you wish was not causing the discomfort. If it doesn't settle down you might see an ENT which is trained with all oral and tongue conditions.

Thanks for letting us know

Bill

• GavinP
    wmc said:

Good to hear Gavin

Scar tissue can cause problems for sure. Glad it is not a major concern. Still it is something that  you wish was not causing the discomfort. If it doesn't settle down you might see an ENT which is trained with all oral and tongue conditions.

Thanks for letting us know

Bill

Thanks Bill...

In the UK we have what they call Max-Fax (maxilo-facial) doctors who deal with the inside of the mouth (they are part dentists/part ENT) They deal with tongue, mouth, face, etc...

I was under a Max-Fax consultant for two years when the original white patch was treated so I'd just be refered back to him I think.

Was pleased the news was all positive anyway.

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    GavinP said:

Saw dentist....

Glad the news is good

and hope that the scar tissue settles down soon reducing your discomfort.

Barbara

• GavinP
    Barbaraek said:

Glad the news is good

and hope that the scar tissue settles down soon reducing your discomfort.

Barbara

Thanks Barbera

Your very kind. :)