lump under incision site

Options
lissykuz
lissykuz Member Posts: 2

I had a lumpectomy for DCIS at stage 0 in Nov. 2015 then radiation for 4 wks. I had a six month mammo to check breast this last wk..the radiologist made me very uncomfortable. he saw the lump at incision on mammo so gave me an ultrasound. he drilled me. i told him my radiation dr. at my follow up told me it was scar tissue. the radiologist said it was ugly and hard, looked like cancer. then asked me if i had it before right after the surgery and if it was the same or larger.  I said I didn't know but that I thought I had it. he said keep an eye on it and we would use mammo as a baseline for the next one in six months. I phoned the very knowledgeable nurse navigator who expressd concerns about the radiologist's tactlessness in dealing with me and she said she would consult with my radiologist but told me my results looked fine. I will either have the radiologist feel the scar or go to my surgeon and have him look at it.  Yes, it makes me nervous.  I keep feeling it.

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Dear Lissy

That is terrible to be made so uncomfortable by a health professional. I think you should definitely check it out with your surgeon. I would imagine that he/she would be more knowledgeable about what feels like cancer or not. You must get another opinion if you are worried. Getting some peace of mind will be well worth it. Keep us posted and take care, Anna

• lissykuz
    lissykuz Member Posts: 2
    Options
    button2 said:

Dear Lissy

That is terrible to be made so uncomfortable by a health professional. I think you should definitely check it out with your surgeon. I would imagine that he/she would be more knowledgeable about what feels like cancer or not. You must get another opinion if you are worried. Getting some peace of mind will be well worth it. Keep us posted and take care, Anna

Hello button 2,
    I will be

Hello button 2,

I will be talking with the nurse navigator again this week. she is very good at what she does and she knows her stuff!  she will be showing results to my radiation doc and i will follow up and see him in person or my surgeon. thanks!

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    The Tech made these comments

The Tech made these comments to you? IF so-i thought they were not allowed to say anything, give an opionion etc.

I'll check back for an update...

Denise

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If you can ge anyone and

If you can ge anyone and everyone to look at it.  Yes could be nothing but we know we can't take any chances

The day my lump appeared got straight in to the doctors.  Not my usual carer, she said it would be nothing to worry about but will check it out if you like as rather big............  Two mastectomies later........  Go with your gut feeling if only for your peace of mind.

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I had a small lump appear

I had a small lump appear under my incision two years ago.  I brought it to the attention of my onc, and to be safe, he had me get it checked first by an ultrasound.  Since that was inconclusive, he had me have it biopsied.  All of this was just to be sure, although no one thought it was anything serious.  No bad news -- just a small cyst.  Not sure how it decided to form there, but it did.

I know that for me, I prefer to play things safe.  When it doubt, check it out.

e

• mjjones453
    mjjones453 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Lump

I just made an appointment to see my oncologist for a lump in the scar area. It has been 5 1/2 years since DX.  I am wondering if I am imagining this, and If I should  wait until my appointment in August.  I feel like I jump the gun to often.  

Mary

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options

Lump

I just made an appointment to see my oncologist for a lump in the scar area. It has been 5 1/2 years since DX.  I am wondering if I am imagining this, and If I should  wait until my appointment in August.  I feel like I jump the gun to often.  

Mary

Newly Discovered Lump

MARY/mjjones453:

If I were you, I would most certainly NOT be waiting until August to have my doctor look at a breast lump. After all, you DO have a history of breast cancer. What would be the purpose of waiting? The stress of not knowing is a lot to deal with. Who cares if the doctor or the staff feels that you "jump the gun too often?" It is your life and you need to be an advocate for your own health. Just because you have reached the magical 5 year mark doesn't mean that a recurrence is off the table. If it turns out that you don't have a recurrence then at least you have that information  sooner rather than later. If it IS cancerous then catching it earlier could make it that much easier to treat. 

I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how things go. 

IRENE

• mjjones453
    Options

Newly Discovered Lump

MARY/mjjones453:

If I were you, I would most certainly NOT be waiting until August to have my doctor look at a breast lump. After all, you DO have a history of breast cancer. What would be the purpose of waiting? The stress of not knowing is a lot to deal with. Who cares if the doctor or the staff feels that you "jump the gun too often?" It is your life and you need to be an advocate for your own health. Just because you have reached the magical 5 year mark doesn't mean that a recurrence is off the table. If it turns out that you don't have a recurrence then at least you have that information  sooner rather than later. If it IS cancerous then catching it earlier could make it that much easier to treat. 

I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how things go. 

IRENE

Newly Discovered Lump

Thank you Irene for the Encouragement.  I will be going on May 5.  I will keep you updated. Undecided

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Mary-

lumps bumps and redness are concerns- i am hoping for the "all clear", for you both..

Please keep us posted.

prayers and positive thoughts to both of you Sisters in PINK.

Vicki Sam

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Lump scare

Knowledge is power! Peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold. I would have it looked at even if it's nothing you will gain peace of mind.

Hugs,

Bonnie

• mjjones453
    Options
    Update

So I went for my appointment to the Doctor, he thought it was just scar tissue, but just to be sure he ordered an Ultrasound.  Well after the ultrasound, the results went to the Radiologist.  She came in and said that they saw a large calcium with shadowing.  So she had me have another Mammogram right there.  After looking at the mammo, they determined that it indeed was a large calcium deposit that I was feeling.   Wheew!!! Glad that it is not cancer.  My husband had started to worry because the appointment took so long.  Thank you Jesus for no cancer.