As done as it gets!

Double Whammy
Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

While we are never "done" with this breast cancer thing, I have decided to DC Tamoxifen after just a little over 5 years.  I saw my onocologist yesterday and said I didn't want to do 10 years unless she really felt I should.  I had treatment in 2010 for IDC including chemotherapy because I had a high oncotype score.  That oncotype score is the ONLY reason I would consider 10 years.  My disease was Stage 1b, my tumor tiny at .6 cm.  My prognosis was always good, but you never know  . . . so I have been compliant.  We talked quite a bit about the new studies and changing recommendations (5 years was good enough back in 2010 when I started) and the fact that my level of risk at this point in time is really low, and staying on it would only reduce that minimal risk by about 2% - because it has been 5 years and because I lowered the risk in the early years by having chemo and I have remained disease free.  She also told me that even after stopping the Tamoxifen, I will have continued protection for quite some time.  I feel good about the decision to not continue the meds.  Had I had a higher stage disease, I'd feel differently I'm sure.  For me, I think this is the right decision.  I will continue to see her once a year for our social visit and remain connected with oncology should I need to be seen sooner and I honestly believe that should I develop another cancer (I've already had 2), it will not be because I stopped Tamoxifen, just that it happened, just like the others.  I will continue to my part about eating healthy and exercising and maintaining a healthy weight.  I don't believe I gave myself cancer in the first place, but I do know my lifestyle could have been cleaned up and it is.

May you each feel like I do today.

Suzanne

Comments

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    decision

Suzanne it is so interesting to read about your decision to stop.  Your reasoning sounds well thought out and it seems like a good decision to me.  I wish you only the best with this ......you have helped me with my arimidex Suzanne and I thank you for that.......funny to be on the very starting edge of the five years.....I know there are people here who say it passes quickly......11 years for me in the cancer game but just a couple of months into the arimidex game.

All the best on making your decision.......maggie

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Hi Suznne.

Glad to hear how well you are still doing.  Sounds like you made the best decision for you and that is what we all need to do!  I know I have made some choices that I have been asked why, and it all boils down to:  I don't make decisions regarding my health easily.  I ask questions, do my research, weigh the benefits of each against the risks which helps eliminate the what ifs.

Youhave been in this cancer world for so long that I am always amazed by your strength and knowledge!

Hugs to you.

Carol

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Hi Suzanne

That is great that your treatment is finally coming to an end. I will have to make that decision in a year's time too. For the moment, my onc is expecting me to stop tamoxifen at 5 years, but since my case was advanced, I'm not sure I will agree with that. I'm not stressing about it because by then, there will probably be new guidelines. Good luck going forward and stay on the site even thought you are done....you always give great advice! Hugs, Anna

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    Hi Suzanne

I can only imagine your thoughts that ran through your head weighing it all out and coming to a wonderful conclusion - your choice! I know from experience there is no such thing as minimal thought when it comes to our fight. I'm hapy for you that  you have come full circle in your decisions and support your choice. 

Here's to hugs and happiness!

Bonnie

• sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    I came to the same conclusion

for basically the same reasons and because I suffered from joint pain on both Arimidex and Exemestane. Getting to 5 years was tough and I feel very comfortable with my decision. 

Sue

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    edited May 2016 #7
    Late to the party and very jealous!

Suzanne, I'm sorry to be so late in seeing this post!

Both our kids are graduating this year (son from high school, daughter from college), so I've been in a whirlwind of graduation obligations and festivities....and now I see you've "graduated," too!

I'm so jealous, because I have 3 more years of Tamoxifen, and then will probably go straight into 10 years of Arimidex.  Such fun, no?  Because of my PALB2 genetic mutation, I'm considered "high risk" for recurrence, so what feels right for me is to keep defending myself with every weapon they can give me.  

As you and everyone else have said, we all have to do our research and make thoughtful, conscious decisions about our health and our treatment that are right for each of us.  So many folks who don't have personal experiences with this think that breast cancer is breast cancer is breast cancer, and treatment is "one size fits all."  If only that were true, it would be so much easier!

Congratulations on your "graduation," Suzanne!  Big hug to you,

Traci

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    New guidelines coming

I just visited my MO today for a 6 month follow up ( still need to have radiation).  We talked about the estrogen inhibitor which he expects to prescribe once I finish RAD.  While the conservative approach has been 5-10 years in the past, he said he looks forward to hearing what the new guidelines will recommend.  This is to be one of the topics covered.  I should have asked when and where the conference will be, but I know it is coming up.

things are always changing in the medical field, and hopefully, they will continue to change for the better for all of us!

• Just_lori6
    Just_lori6 Member Posts: 76
    Woohoo!!!

Hi Suzanne, what wonderful news! I have been told my cancer was agressive and pretty big and I am told I will begin hormone therapy as soon as radiation is complete. They have told me it will only be for 5 years so given that yours was stage 2 and 6cm I agree with you that 5 years is sufficient 8)

I do have a question, have you had any side effects while taking it? I have read about side effects and some of them are a bit scary? 

Thank you and Best Wishes!

Lori