In The Begining

Options
icemantoo
icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

It was a warm Spring Sunday afternoon in late April or  early May, 2002. It was time to  install a stone walkway in the back of the house. No sooner had I finished than I was yelling at Icewoman for pouring some, candy, syrup or food coloring in the toilet turning it red. I think she had done that a few weeks earlier as well. An hour or 2 later I noticed the food coloring had come from me. WTF. I called my PCP and he said it was probably nothing. I just broke a blood vessel from heavy working. No need to go to the ER, but come in his office on Monday. He referred me to a Uro for an appointment the next day. The Uro's questions as I remember focused on my plumbing. The Uro sent me for a CT scan which at the time I just thought was a CYA procedure. A few weeks until the CT and than I received a call from the receptionist at the Uro's  wanting me to set up an appointment and something about Kidney Cancer was blurted out. WTF.  Well the URO referred me to the new kid in the office who  had just completed a fellowship in Laproscopic Surgery. My vocabulary was starting to expand. I was lucky , it was relatively small tumor (2.6 cm pre-op, 4.2 cm post op.). They were going to yank my kidney out. Summer was starting and the big day was August 1, 2002. My wife took me to a B & B on the Canadian side of Lake Huron for July 4th weekend to relax. We went to a British Pub in town for dinner where they brought out all the traditional dinners for the diners to view. I almost gagged on being shown Kidney Pie.

The big day came. The surgery and recovery were no picnik. It took me almost 11 months for my 60th birthday to get back on water-skis. Five or 6  years later I got on some new fangled thing called the internet and started to tell my storey and tried to help others.  And that was how Kidney Cancer came into my life.

Icemantoo

Comments

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    And it's incredibly generous

And it's incredibly generous of you to still be here offering welcome, advice, and everything else to everyone else. You were the first person I thought of when I came out of anasthesia. Your words "there's no way to sugar coat surgery" were floating around my drug addled brain. Thank you for all you do here xo

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    APny said:

And it's incredibly generous

And it's incredibly generous of you to still be here offering welcome, advice, and everything else to everyone else. You were the first person I thought of when I came out of anasthesia. Your words "there's no way to sugar coat surgery" were floating around my drug addled brain. Thank you for all you do here xo

Thank you Iceman

And yet another incredible person on this forum!!  Gave me a little chuckle too with the reference to Icewoman and the food coloring.

God bless you and thank you for being here with your wisdom.

Donna~

• PonyWave
    PonyWave Member Posts: 33
    Options
    It sounds like kidney cancer

It sounds like kidney cancer likes to sneak around and then make a huge entrance for many people. What a nasty thing to do! That's quite a story! I'm sorry you have had to experience it.

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Your reply to my first post

You were the first one to reply my first post, I kept reading your reply as it was positive, welcoming and promising. I read your bio and it brought tears to my eyes, 12 years free of cancer, it was like a dream come true.

Thanks for being as generous and supportive as you are.

Keep being happy and healthy

Forough

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    And so glad that you have it

And so glad that you have it all behind you!  Poor icewoman, it seems she always gets the blame! ;)

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    angec said:

And so glad that you have it

And so glad that you have it all behind you!  Poor icewoman, it seems she always gets the blame! ;)

My wife remnded me tht it was red gaterade which I had accused her of throwing in the toilet. She had had the flu and there were  red gaterade bottles all over the house. I guess i am suffering fro Partzheimers.

Icemantoo

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    icemantoo said:

My wife remnded me tht it was red gaterade which I had accused her of throwing in the toilet. She had had the flu and there were  red gaterade bottles all over the house. I guess i am suffering fro Partzheimers.

Icemantoo

HA! In our house we call it....

Sometimers!

Or when we go shopping & forget where we parked...mallzheimers.

Donna~

• marosa
    marosa Member Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    hardo718 said:

HA! In our house we call it....

Sometimers!

Or when we go shopping & forget where we parked...mallzheimers.

Donna~

Iceman you rock!

Thank you for being here after so many years! For so many of us!  Sometimes it feels tempting to just run away ..... out of sight out of mind.  But you give and give!

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Iceman you have given so many

Iceman you have given so many people comfort here on this forum. You were the first to respond to me....and you gave me much relief.

You are our comfort food of our Kidney CSN!! (kidney pie and red gatorade not included!!)

Hugs

Jojo

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Jojo61 said:

Iceman you have given so many

Iceman you have given so many people comfort here on this forum. You were the first to respond to me....and you gave me much relief.

You are our comfort food of our Kidney CSN!! (kidney pie and red gatorade not included!!)

Hugs

Jojo

First of all, Iceman, thanks

First of all, Iceman, thanks for sharing more details of  YOUR story than I ever knew.

I too want to thank you also for being the first to welcome me here!

I think my tumor was exact same size and had a radical nephrectomy.

Glad you are still here to welcome and support so many over the years!

Continue to be yourself and know how much you are appreciated!

Hugs to you and your Icewoman!

Jan