Diarrhea and nausea with Taxol

Options
jdavidson
jdavidson Member Posts: 1

Hello, 

I recently finished week 4 of 12 with Taxol (weekly) with Herceptin.

Week 1 - virtually no side effects (only fatigue, leg pain, and neuropathy)

Week 2 - all the above, plus chemo rash on my face

Week 3 and 4 - all of week 1 plus severe diahrrea and nausea

My issue is weeks 3 & 4 with the nausea/diarrhea. I went into the hospital to get fluids and everything checked out fine - just dehydrated. I've tried Zofran, Compazine, Imodium, Ativan, Marinol, Ginger candy - plus multiple combinations of those drugs. The only thing that takes care of all the symptoms is the Marinol, but the side effects of Marinol are not tollerable (shakes, sleepy, groggy/foggy). 

Has anyone experienced similar side effects? What worked for you? I'm struggling with all of this and am at a loss for what to do next.

Thanks a bunch!

J

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I had pretty bad GI side

I had pretty bad GI side effects with chemo, fiber can help. but i was just trown off kilter so I just had to wait it out.

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    edited May 2016 #3
    Options
    Taxol

I had a horrible time on chemo with AC and also taxol. The only thing that helped was the Sancuso patch, it was recommended by my chemo nurse. I can honestly say it was a lifesaver. It is a clear patch that you place on your arm and wear throughout treatment. I hope that this helps. Love Surf

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Taxol

Honestly Taxol was my hardest chemo to tolerate as far as achiness is concerned wheareas the A/C chemos fatigued me. ALways worse on the third round but you can do it. The best advice I was given is to think like you're pregnant and get your head around those symptoms. They did a three week dose the first time of Taxol and I ended up with 8 days straight of debilitating bone ache from hell and that's putting it mildly. My nurse was unhappy I was given the larger dose of Taxol originally , he stated people in their 40's tend to have worse bone ache on the higher dose than those in their 60's or post menopausal. Afterwards they switched me to the weekly smaller doses 11 times.  I ended up doing MUCH better after several Epsom salt soaks with about 1/3 of the box used each time.  I ended up using the motion patch they sell at Walgreens behind my ear and it REALLY helped!Also a few bites of oatmeal or malt-o-meal in the AM.  I was 42 at the time (2014) Hope this helps! Also, I did get a lot of neuropathy with the Taxol to where I could only wear flip flops for shoes.  Most of my feet tingles have gone away, no more hip pain for the most part. Mt treatment was Aug. 5 double mast, skin sparing - stage 3 a - 4 positive nodes - 48 rounds of radiation. Hair is back and an aline bob now - chemo was done in Nov-Jan.

You can do it!

Bonnie

• Bocephus
    Bocephus Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016 #5
    Options
    Candy

A survivor created a candy to help with side effects.  It's called soothease.  My wife used it during her chemo and it helped ease some of her discomfort.  

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Ta xol

I finished 9 weeks of Taxol on Feb 18. It was supposed to be 12 weeks, but they stopped it because my neuropathy was getting worse. I still have it.

I would have diarrhea on the day of chemo and it would gradually get better and I would end the week constipated. Any time i mentioned nausea, I was given a new prescription. I was taking Ondansetron when I finished. I would take it for 3 days after chemo and had no more nausea.

Good luck! 

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    edited May 2016 #7
    Options
    So sorry you're having this

So sorry you're having this reaction. Sending you healing thoughts and hugs!

• dpletzke
    dpletzke Member Posts: 11
    Options

Taxol

Honestly Taxol was my hardest chemo to tolerate as far as achiness is concerned wheareas the A/C chemos fatigued me. ALways worse on the third round but you can do it. The best advice I was given is to think like you're pregnant and get your head around those symptoms. They did a three week dose the first time of Taxol and I ended up with 8 days straight of debilitating bone ache from hell and that's putting it mildly. My nurse was unhappy I was given the larger dose of Taxol originally , he stated people in their 40's tend to have worse bone ache on the higher dose than those in their 60's or post menopausal. Afterwards they switched me to the weekly smaller doses 11 times.  I ended up doing MUCH better after several Epsom salt soaks with about 1/3 of the box used each time.  I ended up using the motion patch they sell at Walgreens behind my ear and it REALLY helped!Also a few bites of oatmeal or malt-o-meal in the AM.  I was 42 at the time (2014) Hope this helps! Also, I did get a lot of neuropathy with the Taxol to where I could only wear flip flops for shoes.  Most of my feet tingles have gone away, no more hip pain for the most part. Mt treatment was Aug. 5 double mast, skin sparing - stage 3 a - 4 positive nodes - 48 rounds of radiation. Hair is back and an aline bob now - chemo was done in Nov-Jan.

You can do it!

Bonnie

thanks again for your story