Options
Airie
Airie Member Posts: 45

A newbie to posting but have used the wisdom, support and RCC education found on this board since Feb. On 1_28_16  I had a radical left nephrectomy. Tumor was 13 cm. Surgery was 8 hours. One month later biopsy of left lung showed 1.3 cm and .4 mm nodule were cancer. So I'm stage IV. First 28 days of Sutent 50mg completed tomorrow.  SE have been bad but I'm alive and as a wise person on here stated "I'm living with RCC not dying from it". Thanks to all who post with such honesty and support. I am a Bereavement Counselor. I told my caregivers and family members after the death of their loved one they needed to create a new normal. My life is in this transition now. Thank you for helping me to find my way through this horrid disease. 

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Welcome

Aierie,

Welcome to the club which no one in their right mind would volunteer to join. As others will chime in you will see more than a few that started with Stage IV and are here for the long term. Hopefully you will not have to put to use that bereament training and you will stick around to help other newbies starting on their journies.

Icemantoo

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Welcome Airie

Thats quite a big fellow you found in there! I dont know how much wisdom you'll find here, but you'll find plenty of support. I've been living with this since May 1st 2013, and its a bit of a bugger.

Hang on, I feel a piece of wisdom coming on.

If your taking sutent, I strongly recommend soft, moist, flushable towelettes. Thank me later.

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

Welcome Airie

Thats quite a big fellow you found in there! I dont know how much wisdom you'll find here, but you'll find plenty of support. I've been living with this since May 1st 2013, and its a bit of a bugger.

Hang on, I feel a piece of wisdom coming on.

If your taking sutent, I strongly recommend soft, moist, flushable towelettes. Thank me later.

Hi and welcome Airie!!
    {{{{{

Hi and welcome Airie!!

{{{{{ HUGS  }}}}}

Yes, what you are going through is crappy, pun intended! BUT you are learning to reach out.There are several folks here who are Stage IV so they will be more helpful I am sure.

Just want you to know, we'll walk this journey along side you if you want us to.Keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Sending you healing vibes and more hugs,

Jan

• mrou50
    mrou50 Member Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Airie

Sorry you are here.  There are many treatments now for RCC just learn to trust your oncologist, and lean on your family and friends, old and new.  As for questions what I have learned from being here and being stage IV is that there are no stupid questions and you will probably never experience emotions, and frustrations that we all have not faced and still do, just remember we are here to support each other and to keep living.  Sorry about the Sutent side effects it is unfortunate piece of treatment.  Stay strong.

Mark

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    mrou50 said:

Airie

Sorry you are here.  There are many treatments now for RCC just learn to trust your oncologist, and lean on your family and friends, old and new.  As for questions what I have learned from being here and being stage IV is that there are no stupid questions and you will probably never experience emotions, and frustrations that we all have not faced and still do, just remember we are here to support each other and to keep living.  Sorry about the Sutent side effects it is unfortunate piece of treatment.  Stay strong.

Mark

Welcome Airie

Although I'm not a Stage IV, I think we all learn from each other and I will try to be a support system for you whenever you feel the need to reach out.  I wish I'd known of the site long ago, my surgery was 3+ years ago and I just found these wonderful people this past January.

The knowledge, wisdom and humor here is wondrous!

I'll add you to my daily prayers for my friends on this forum.

Donna~

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the board no one

Welcome to the board no one would want to Join. From your words I guess you're emotionally strong to be able to cope with the new normality. Well, I wasn't. All my life I had sort of cancer phobia,and I was diagnosed at the age of 36 with 10 cm tomur. It's odd for a girl at that ago to have such a large tumor!  I had no choice but to face it. First months were worst than my  most devastating nightmares. Time helps and time heals, finally after almost 7 months I decided to talk to a therapist. What a good decision! Very helpful. Your journey begins more difficult than mine but having a positive powerful perspective could help a lot. We have wonderful stage four members who not only help themselves but also others by giving them their knowledge and wisdom. There are many treatments out there to treat this disease, as a member said once, it's never been a better time to have kidney cancer.

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    hardo718 said:

Welcome Airie

Although I'm not a Stage IV, I think we all learn from each other and I will try to be a support system for you whenever you feel the need to reach out.  I wish I'd known of the site long ago, my surgery was 3+ years ago and I just found these wonderful people this past January.

The knowledge, wisdom and humor here is wondrous!

I'll add you to my daily prayers for my friends on this forum.

Donna~

Welcome Airie! But I am so

Welcome Airie! But I am so sorry for what you have been going through. I also had a 13 cm tumor taking up residence in my right kidney. It got evicted in Deccember 2013....I am fortunate to be stage 3 with no further recurrences. I feel pretty great! There are lots of stage 4s here. They are a great example of how you can still have many, many quality years ahead of you! Hoping that you are able to find the support, advice and experience that you need from this forum. It is a great bunch of people!

Hugs

Jojo

• Airie
    Airie Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Jojo61 said:

Welcome Airie! But I am so

Welcome Airie! But I am so sorry for what you have been going through. I also had a 13 cm tumor taking up residence in my right kidney. It got evicted in Deccember 2013....I am fortunate to be stage 3 with no further recurrences. I feel pretty great! There are lots of stage 4s here. They are a great example of how you can still have many, many quality years ahead of you! Hoping that you are able to find the support, advice and experience that you need from this forum. It is a great bunch of people!

Hugs

Jojo

Thx

Thx to all for the warm welcome! It's 1:10 a m CST. There are 4 other members on who may also be on the insomniac treadmill with me. Sweet dreams all

• PonyWave
    PonyWave Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Welcome, Airie
    I'm a newbie

Welcome, Airie

I'm a newbie to this forum as well even though my cancer was found in 2010. I felt alone until I found it and felt my spirits pick up just knowing there was a place to go to better understand this dsease. I'm blown away by the strength of the people here and thankful for their willingness to share their stories. I wish you the best In every way!