Cognitive issues and headaches

Options
mschaben
mschaben Member Posts: 87

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is doing well.. I had my exchange surgery finally on March 23.  I was wanting to know how people are dealing with issues post chemo. My chemo has been done since May and targeted therapy since dec.  I am on arimidex and had hysterxtomy in nov.  I have been having headaches in mornings and throughout the day as well as having issues with my speech and thought process. I had contributed it to chemo brain. But at my three month checkup my onc said I'm at high risk for brain mets and recurrence so he wanted to do brain mri. We did that and results showed no signs of mets to brain at this time .. So doesn't explain my issues. my onc said we can't discount my symptoms that's why he did the mri.  And that I have to keep reporting symptoms to him as scans can't always pick up Mets sometimes til later on.  Can anyone relate. im also very tired and my bloodwork is okay.  I have five kids so it's not like I sit around I am active that's for sure.  But didn't know if with all the surgeries, chemo, radiation and treatments to my body maybe it's just all taking it's toll. Just want to know if any of you can relate.  Thank you so much.. (hugs)

Mary 

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Cognitive Issues and Headaches

Having to parent 5 children is enough all by itself to make a person tired! On top of that you have had 2 major surgeries in the space of 4 months. It sounds completely normal to me that you would be tired. 

As to the headaches: It is my understanding that one of the more common side effects of Arimidex is headaches. Only you can determine if the side effects of the drug are debilitating enough to warrant a change. You wouldn't be the 1st person who changed drugs due to side effects. Do not feel like you have failed if you need to make a change. 

Has your doctor explained exactly why he thinks you are at "high risk" for a recurrence and brain mets? It is good that the oncologist is taking your symptoms seriously and monitoring them. Perhaps a PET/CT scan rather than an MRI might be a more worthwhile informational tool. 

While my speech hasn't been impaired by my treatment regimen, I believe my thought processes are different now than they were 5 years ago. My memory is not what it used to be. I find it more necessary to write lists in order to remember which chores need to be done, which groceries need to be purchased and who needs to be transported where at what time. 

You sound like you are doing pretty well to me given what you have been through. Give yourself some credit. You can't expect to come out of this completely unscathed. I am fond of the song lyric that says, " You can only go UP from here." I believe that.

IRENE

• Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Cognitive issues and headaches

Hi Mary.

I completed my chemo 5 1/2 years ago.  I suffered 'chemo brain' for at least a year after I was done with all treatment, including reconstruction, etc.  I was concerned I wouldn't be able to continue doing the work I was doing as it was difficult to think.  Someone told me that I could expect the 'fog' to last about as long as the treatment.  So if treatment lasted a year, the return to 'normal' would take another year.  I don't know if that's accurate as to anyone else, but it was pretty close for me.  I do not have 100% of my former memory, word retrieval and ability to read without making a determined effort to focus, but I did regain most of my mental accuity.  Hope this helps. 

Best of luck to you!

Chickadee 

• sonicboom
    sonicboom Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Arimidex

Definitely could be the Arimidex as someone mentioned. It gave me very bad headaches, and I never get headaches - knock on wood - LOL.

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Side effects of chemo

Good day!

I had to chime in that my chemo treatments a/c/t started in Nov. 2014 and finally ended in Jan. 2015.  I can truly tell you that my fog lasted until just this year 2016. My tolerancy to multi tasting has done way better lately. ALthough now the headaches have gotten better I occasionally have a feeling of a hot spoon sensation touching my upper left eyebrow area. I only get it over the left eyebrow - go figure!

Hugs,

Bonnie