New chemo drug Camptosan

vtspa6
vtspa6 Member Posts: 172

Has anyone had this drug with their treatment?  Tim just started it today.  Onc. cut Oxiliplatin due to neorothopy and started this drug.  Onc. said it is a new drug.

Comments

• LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member
    Folfiri

If Camptosan is Irinotican, my husband had this as part of his FOLFIRI cocktail for colon cancer.  This is how FOLFIRI is broken down by drug: 

FOLFIRI is a chemotherapy regimen for treatment of colorectal cancer. It is made up of the following drugs:

• FOL – folinic acid (leucovorin), a vitamin B derivative used as a "rescue" drug for high doses of the drug methotrexate, but increases the cytotoxicity of 5-fluorouracil;
    • F – fluorouracil (5-FU), a pyrimidine analog and antimetabolite which incorporates into the DNA molecule and stops synthesis; and
    • IRI – irinotecan (Camptosar), a topoisomerase inhibitor, which prevents DNA from uncoiling and duplicating.

My husband tolerated this much better than FOLFOX.  He was also told it would likely cause diarrhea but because he was usually constipated it kind of balanced him out.  His hair did thin quite a bit and our daughter buzzed his hair really short.  He did get the acne on his face and chest that kind of bothered him.  He got a lotion prescription which worked well.

I don't think this is a new drug for treatment, it might just be a new drug for you. 

• vtspa6
    LindaK. said:

Folfiri

If Camptosan is Irinotican, my husband had this as part of his FOLFIRI cocktail for colon cancer.  This is how FOLFIRI is broken down by drug: 

FOLFIRI is a chemotherapy regimen for treatment of colorectal cancer. It is made up of the following drugs:

• FOL – folinic acid (leucovorin), a vitamin B derivative used as a "rescue" drug for high doses of the drug methotrexate, but increases the cytotoxicity of 5-fluorouracil;
    • F – fluorouracil (5-FU), a pyrimidine analog and antimetabolite which incorporates into the DNA molecule and stops synthesis; and
    • IRI – irinotecan (Camptosar), a topoisomerase inhibitor, which prevents DNA from uncoiling and duplicating.

My husband tolerated this much better than FOLFOX.  He was also told it would likely cause diarrhea but because he was usually constipated it kind of balanced him out.  His hair did thin quite a bit and our daughter buzzed his hair really short.  He did get the acne on his face and chest that kind of bothered him.  He got a lotion prescription which worked well.

I don't think this is a new drug for treatment, it might just be a new drug for you. 

Okay, now this makes sense to

Okay, now this makes sense to me.  I had heard of the Folfiri treatment along with Folfox.  I suppose the Onc. switched them because of the neorothopy.

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    I just started on Camptosar last week

I misread, and thought you   were asking about Camptosar, which is different from Camptosan, but haven't figured out how to delete a post.  I'm on Camptosar now, combined with Erbitux.   I understand some of the side effects include diarrhea, but I haven't had a problem with that yet, perhaps because the Erbitux causes constipation and they've cancelled each other out. Either way, the  onc gave me a prescription for Lomotil, just in case.   I've noticed   a lot more fatigue, and a kind of lighteaded, wonky feeling, but don't know yet whether that's caused by one or the other or the combination or something else entirely. I was also warned that  hair loss is likely, probably beginning after the second round.  Did your husband recieve an info sheet on the  Camptosar, which is also known as Irinotecan? The oncology nurses always give me info sheets and go over the info with me  when I sart on a new drug.  I've found the info sheets and explanations to be  very helpful in knowing what to expect.

• littlebudger
    littlebudger Member Posts: 1
    LindaK. said:

Folfiri

Folfiri

I found your post interesting as I will be starting this regimen soon.   Do you have any idea what kind of lotion prescription he got for the acne?   This is what I'm worried about!   

• vtspa6

Folfiri

I found your post interesting as I will be starting this regimen soon.   Do you have any idea what kind of lotion prescription he got for the acne?   This is what I'm worried about!   

My husband Tim just had his

My husband Tim just had his first treatment of Folfriri.  He had been doing Folfox for 15 treatments.  After his first Folfiri he was very sick to his stomach for days!  He hasn't had a problem with acne yet, maybe after his second?  Will ask the Onc. for a prescription tho!

• LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member
    Lotion

I'm sorry I don't remember what it was called.  It was a white cream (prescription) that he blended into his face and chest,  it became clear after rubbing it in and drying.