Concerned

coffeedude92
coffeedude92 Member Posts: 4
edited April 2016 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hello, I have never posted anything here before but the information I have learned from this forum has been so helpful to me and I'm very thankful and hope the best for everyone In their recovery.

My name is Paul and I was diagnosed with stage 2 (T2,N0,M0) SCC on my vocal cord on 1/21/16. I have currently had 26 of a 29 rad treatment course. The burns on my neck became so bad that my oncologist suspended treatments last Thursday so the burns could heal a little. I was supposed to resume treatments today for my final 3 but they are continuing the suspension until Wednesday because the burns are still bad. This will be a six day break and I'm worried that would give the bad cells a chance to recover. My oncologist says that it's okay and I have to believe her, but I'm just worried even though there's nothing I can do about it. Am I overthinking this and worrying over something I shouldn't? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This whole path has been emotional as I know you can all relate.

Thank you!

Comments

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Taking a Break

Trust your oncologist. Since you have been reading posts on this site for a while, you know it takes a long time to recover from radiation treatments. The good cells haven't healed yet, and they weren't even the target.  Others on the site have had breaks for burns, the holidays or various reasons. Welcome to our group. I hope the rest of your treatment goes smoothly.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    concerned goes with the program

coffeedude92,

The break is most likely ok.  I thought you were going to say suspend them and with 26 out of 29 in-the-bag, I would say ok to that too.

I had pretty bad neck burn and used Silver Sulfadiazine Cream with outstanding results.  We have had a few on the H&N forum with bad reactions to the cream, but most do not.

Good luck,

Matt

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    CivilMatt said:

concerned goes with the program

coffeedude92,

The break is most likely ok.  I thought you were going to say suspend them and with 26 out of 29 in-the-bag, I would say ok to that too.

I had pretty bad neck burn and used Silver Sulfadiazine Cream with outstanding results.  We have had a few on the H&N forum with bad reactions to the cream, but most do not.

Good luck,

Matt

Our radiation doctor

was pretty adamant that we try not to skip any sessions. The research dealt mainly with recurrence rates, but our scenario was for a nasopharyngeal tumor. Your doctor may be of a different opinion. Like Matt we had great results with Silvadene cream for severe "weeping" burns in the neck.

Barbara

• Kapital
    Kapital Member Posts: 52 Member
    Silvadene

We also found Silvadene Cream to be amazingly helpful for my husbands neck radiation burns. However, some people do have allergies to such creams. Also, keep in mind that we are all unique and respond to treatment as individuals. Give it the best fight your body will tolerated, which you are, and then put your faith in a higher authority.    Best of luck to you.

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Welcome to H&N group

You might want to read the superthread at the top. It has many thind that worked for members and had it added to it. It is written and added to, all by members. A few very special members put it together and maintain it when we need something new added.
    Bill

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Overthinking :)

The fact is....you keep on cooking for up to 2 weeks after rads are over....so while your skin may be taking a break right now, the cancer isn't getting one.  This happened to me once during rads too.....the machine broke down on a Weds....and I didn't get back till the following Monday....5 days off.  It was the best thing that ever happened to my neck.

p

• NJShore
    NJShore Member Posts: 429 Member
    You are doing great!

coffeedude,

I agree with everyone else, the burn creams are terrific, use them. My husband also really benefited from saline soaks.  We took saline from the pharmacist and soaked gauze pads and layed them on any red skin, and used a few wide gauze rolls and wrapped my husband in them for 20 mins at a time.  This really helped to get some of the heat out of the skin. You might want to ask your doctor if she thinks this would help, We did it 4-5 times a day. I bought all the gauze in the county I think, but it gave him comfort.

I agree with everyone else as well, if your doctor says it's the best thing for you, she's right. I think particularly at the end of the treatment, most of the good work is done, and the last few treatments for Dan were a bit more intense, she's just making sure you are in the best shape for it.

Thoughts, good wishes and prayers that you get to ring that bell soon.

Kari

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    My husband had 2 radiation

My husband had 2 radiation breaks...one for Christmas and one for New Year's. Trust in your doctor. They would  not steer you wrong, as they want the same outcome as you. You are in my thoughts, and I hope your burns heal soon and that you are on the road to recovery, coffeedude.

• coffeedude92
    coffeedude92 Member Posts: 4
    Finished up

I want to thank all of you for the support and reassurances the other day, I really needed It. I got back in on Wednesday and finished the last three treatments and rung that bell today!

The encouragement from this forum is fantastic. I wish everyone the best.

Thanks again,

Paul

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492

Finished up

I want to thank all of you for the support and reassurances the other day, I really needed It. I got back in on Wednesday and finished the last three treatments and rung that bell today!

Thanks again,

Paul

Congrats on ringing that

Congrats on ringing that bell! Have the best weekend...you deserve it.

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804

Finished up

Thanks again,

Paul

Way to go Paul. We said you could do this.

Congratulations and celebrate ringing the bell. The worst is over and now to rest and recuperate. Remember that when the recovery seems to be slow to just remember the previous week, and when you compare them you do see progress.

Bill

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626

Finished up

Thanks again,

Paul

Awesome!

you are a warrior! Celebrate that big milestone, you've earned it 

Barbara

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Congratulations! It's a great

Congratulations! It's a great feeling to be finished. Now you can focus on healing and getting back to normal. Be patient with yourself because it is a slow process. Stay hydrated,  get plenty of protein,  and look forward to a healthy future.