Radiation burns

Options

I have had 18 radiation treaments out of 25. I have stage 3 rectal cancer. When the Drs. told me I would have irritation in that area I had no idea it would be as bad as it has become. about 2 weeks ago the irritation started, now I am in constant pain and when I pee, I cry. They didnt warn me about the burns going beyond the rectal area. I took myself to the ER yesterday and it turns out I have an UTI as well. The only time I had relief is when I got some morphine. My biggest problem and pain is my vagina. I have tried just about everything out there. Has anyone else had this problem or are there any suggestions from anyone. 

Comments

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    So sorry

you are having the pain. I had 28 radiation treatments, and was fortunate in not having   too many problems other than feeling  like I had a really bad sunburn in a most inconvenient location when I first began treatment. I had only a brief period of   pain  during urination,  and was advised to cut  out caffeine and increase my fluid intake. Fortunately I never had the vaginal pain, so can't help there, but what helped me most  during and after radiation for the rectal pain was  pure emu oil.  Once I began using it after a week or so into treatment,  I never had  the stretched  burned skin feeling  nor any skin blistering. I don't know if it would help at this stage, but it might be worth a try.  I hope you can find some relief soon.

Grace/lizard44

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    I was lucky and didn't have

I was lucky and didn't have severe burns and nothing internal. My suggestion is hvang something cold to sit on after each treatment. I don't have any ideas as to how to accomplish that. Ice pack with a towel over it? Bag of frozen pease with a soft blanket over it? This would be in the car on your drve home so it cools the skin as quickly as possible. I've mentioned on here several times that my radiation was in the winter and my car has leather seats and I think sitting down on the cold seats really helped me so I'm trying to think of something that would replicate that. I also would sit in the tub with lukewarm water and epsom salts in it.

Hope this helps.

Jan

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Sad but true

I had 30 radiation treatments, and yes, the pain was unbearable. It actually got worse for me after I had finished treatment, as the burns turned to open sores, which wept and I could not sit down properly or bare any kind of material to touch it. I learnt very quickly to go commando (and never looked back). 

While I was doing the radiation, I tried allot of different unctions, until I found something that eased the burn. The pain never left. It really does depend on your skin type. I found an pure Organic Aloe Vera that I had to keep in the fridge. I used allot of Neosporin. Aquaphor. Vitamin E Oil. I think I liked the Vitamin E Oil the best. I did use Balmex at the end, but it was so messy; basically its adult Desetin. 

When I got the open sores, I finally went to my GP. He told me to use Witch Hazel and WOWEEE it worked like a dream. Dried them up and eased the pain. I don't think they would work on the burns, but if you get sores, run out and get some. 

The skin also goes black or a very dark brown. 

As for the Vagina. It has been three years since treatment and I am just now thinking that its becoming normal again. The skin became so thin that I was barely able to wash without it tearing and sex has been totally out of the question. I personally am not interested in using any kind of medication in the Vagina, having read the side effects, one being Cancer. I figured I would just live with it, but I do know there are several out there that help the thinning skin. I don't think these are to be used while you are still undergoing treatment, but you only have a few more to do. I did not find my Radiation Oncologist at all helpful with the Vaginal issue, my GP was the one I talked to about it. 

The Sitz Bath was one of the best investments I ever made, followed closley behind (my behind) by a Bidet. I tried the Donut pillow, and it did not work for me. I sat on soft pillows with soft baby blankets on top. 

I am sorry that you were not prepared for the side effects. I'd much rather be told all the horror stories and then not expereince them, that be left in the dark and be floored when they happend. 

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find something that helps you in the coming months. Soon it will be memory to look back on. 

Sue

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Same

I have had my first 16 treatments and I'm experiencing the same thing. Recently I tried neosporin with pain relief. I glob that on delicately as it hurts so bad and I also glob on the aquaphor.  

All that being said, I'm burning up by friday.

I soak in the tub after any bowel movement and reapply. 

I use coconut oil in the tub as well.

I also take Tylenol every 6 hours.

Today is a good day. Last Friday and Saturday sucked huge.

Hang in there. 

Kaz

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    radiation burn

I used radia gel from Wallmart.  It worked for me.  Maybe will for you also. Good luck!!

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Kazenmax said:

Same

I have had my first 16 treatments and I'm experiencing the same thing. Recently I tried neosporin with pain relief. I glob that on delicately as it hurts so bad and I also glob on the aquaphor.  

All that being said, I'm burning up by friday.

I soak in the tub after any bowel movement and reapply. 

I use coconut oil in the tub as well.

I also take Tylenol every 6 hours.

Today is a good day. Last Friday and Saturday sucked huge.

Hang in there. 

Kaz

cranberry

oh and the nurse told me to take double doses of over the counter cranberry pills to avoid UTI.

and eat yogurt to avoid yeast infection in vagina.

finally,  be sure that whatever you put on it, you get it off before radiation. There should be no cream or gel as it will cause even more burn.

• fingerprinto
    fingerprinto Member Posts: 11
    Options
    burns

I had 28 radiation treatments and they told me I would get "sunburn" and to try an aloe lotion. That did not work so they gave me aquaphor - that was no real help so I went to a diaper rash lotion - that helped a little.  I have a bidet and the cool water was my best relief.  I have had the blackend skin and the peeling and all has subsided now.

The pain urinating was the worst for me.  I tried the yellow/orange dye pills the Dr. prescribed which helped a little.  Dr. said take cranberry so I did that but what gave me the most relief was AZO.  Even though I had my urine tested twice for UTI - I did not have a UTI but the burn was incredible to say the least.  BTW - I was never told about this possible side effect.