Not considered uterine cancer anymore but just wanted to update you

Options

I haven't had a chance yet to post to the correct board yet and since I already feel a connection with you all here who have given such kinds words of support, thought I'd update you on the happenings of the last few days.

The uterine cancer turned out to be cervical cancer.  It is Stage 1B1 and I was very happy to learn Monday that it had not spread into cervical walls yet and was still within the operable size.  The catch of course, is that it appears to have spread to my lymph nodes and today I will go in for a lymph node biopsy under sedation to confirm so that I can start chemoradiation.

The likely involvement of the lymph node (size and reaction to PETCT strongly indicate cancer) mean that I will not be able to have the radical hysterectomy I had mentally geared up for.  The oncologist is saying she will NOT remove it now and as long as the chemoradiation 'appears' to have worked, will not remove anything.

I'm not really happy about that - my primal instinct is to get it out of me as quickly as possible!  But I'm working to overcome that gut reaction in favor of the many studies and evidence she presented to me.

My gyn is also surprised about this recommendation and has asked me to get a 2nd opinion.  I will meet with that alternate onc. on Thursday and hear what he has to say.  I was very happy to see that while he took all the reports that have been generated the last few weeks from my current hospital, he requested the orginal tissue samples and scans himself to make his own determinations from scratch.  That makes me feel that I will get a truly independent 2nd opinion, so if he comes to the same conclusion as the 1st then I will have the comfort of mind to proceed.

I will also meet with the rad/onc this week to begin the process of mapping out the chemo-radiation treatment.  I was already told the type and dosage I would be given.

Still praying for the tiniest bit of chance that the lymph node somehow comes back negative but they have all worked hard to impress on me that that is highly unlikely at this point.  Trying to cling to the positives here which are that *currently* none of my other organs have been affected.

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Ann, So glad you posted your

Ann, So glad you posted your update. That sounds like pretty good news for you. It is great to get that second opinion too. I'm really surprised to hear that no hysterectomy is recommended. I'm with you, I think I would want it OUT!

Please know that you can come back on this board at any time! We are all related when it comes to this cancer fight.

I'm sending positive vibes your way for good news on the nodes!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options

Ann, So glad you posted your

Ann, So glad you posted your update. That sounds like pretty good news for you. It is great to get that second opinion too. I'm really surprised to hear that no hysterectomy is recommended. I'm with you, I think I would want it OUT!

Please know that you can come back on this board at any time! We are all related when it comes to this cancer fight.

I'm sending positive vibes your way for good news on the nodes!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Ann

hope your second opinion today helps to clear things up

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I agree....feel free to come

I agree....feel free to come visit with us anytime.  I think getting a second opinion is a wise choice.  I know women who have opted out of the hysterectomy who wanted to preserve their fertility or their doctor wanted to shrink the tumors first but it doesn't sound like that's your case.

Anyway, I am glad you got good news.  Please keep us informed on how it's going.

Love,

Eldri

• Please keep in touch

I realize that your cancer sounds like it's a less aggressive cancer, so great news that it's a low stage.  Hopefully there isn't much in the lymph nodes so You can get treated and be done.  Hugs Nancy

• BabyCoach
    BabyCoach Member Posts: 95
    Options
    DEFINITELY

get that 2nd opinion. I know women here who have had the hysterectomy with your symptoms unless preserving fertility is a consideration. Get back with us - we are interested and are your cheerleaders. 

• joyce6611
    joyce6611 Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    BabyCoach said:

DEFINITELY

get that 2nd opinion. I know women here who have had the hysterectomy with your symptoms unless preserving fertility is a consideration. Get back with us - we are interested and are your cheerleaders. 

Second Opinion

I agree with the others that you should get a second opinion.  Let us know what you find out.

Hugs, 

Joyce

• AnnNYC
    AnnNYC Member Posts: 27
    Options
    2nd opinion

2nd opinion is still being formulated.  2nd Dr. is a surgeon and appears to be leaning towards surgery first then chemo/radiation but he conceded that statistics do not show any better outcome by doing the radical hyst first, which is what my current onc. discussed with me as the reason it is not necessary to take on unnecessary complications for the same chance of survival/rate of recurrence.

I'm very torn.  I really wanted the surgery when this news first broke, but now having confirmation that it is in my lymph nodes and that it is a very agressive, more uncommon form of cancer (adenocarcinoma) makes me feel that the chemo/radiation is critical to start right away whereas the 2nd plan would not allow me to start chemo til mid to late June at best.  Currently, my dr's have me ready to begin radiation on the 18th and chemo on the 20th.  I'm really feeling like we need to catch any loose cells before they pop up anywhere else.  There is no great choice here.  The involvement of the lymph node makes an otherwise straightforward decision very complicated.

I do feel pretty confident in the path my current drs have set out, with chemo, internal, and external radiation, but maybe I'm just scared of having to start all over with a new dr and hospital and losing even more critical time before I can begin treating this.  I really would not want to restart the clock on being able to attack this problem by waiting another several weeks to even begin.  2nd dr also conceded that treatment could go either way and he has done both in his practice for cases similar to mine.

Any thoughts?

• BabyCoach
    BabyCoach Member Posts: 95
    Options
    You have a real dilemma

and in this case you should go with your gut. There does not seem a clear professional consensus. Either approach gets you better. Go with your own best hunch so you don't risk regrets later.  You sound to me that you want no delays getting on the path to treatment. Go with it and keep us updated. We are with you!

• AnnNYC
    AnnNYC Member Posts: 27
    Options
    2nd opinion same as the first

Sorry it's been a few days, I've been trying to move things along here and prepare for what is to come.

My 2nd opinion dr ultimately concurred with my current drs that surgery is not advisable at this point.  With the lymph nodes already in play, there is but one path being presented at this time: chemo and radiation (external and internal) so I am focused on that path forward now with at least my mind cleared that there is no big decision I need to make, except for the mental commitment to beating this.

Target start date for external radiation and chemo is next week so I'm taking this time to get my house in order, literally.  I'm also trying to hit as many other appts as I can while I'm still feeling 'well'. 

Now that this is officially my reality for the next few months, I have begun discussing the situation with family and close friends.  Our children know a very simplified version of what is happening, that mommy will be getting special medicine from her drs at the hospital for the next few weeks and that family members will be coming now and then to help take care of them while I rest.  They took it pretty well for little kids.

I'm wishing you all continued strength in the various phases of this process you all are, your compassion speaks volumes about your kind spirits.  I will try to always pay it forward. 

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    AnnNYC said:

2nd opinion same as the first

Sorry it's been a few days, I've been trying to move things along here and prepare for what is to come.

My 2nd opinion dr ultimately concurred with my current drs that surgery is not advisable at this point.  With the lymph nodes already in play, there is but one path being presented at this time: chemo and radiation (external and internal) so I am focused on that path forward now with at least my mind cleared that there is no big decision I need to make, except for the mental commitment to beating this.

Target start date for external radiation and chemo is next week so I'm taking this time to get my house in order, literally.  I'm also trying to hit as many other appts as I can while I'm still feeling 'well'. 

Now that this is officially my reality for the next few months, I have begun discussing the situation with family and close friends.  Our children know a very simplified version of what is happening, that mommy will be getting special medicine from her drs at the hospital for the next few weeks and that family members will be coming now and then to help take care of them while I rest.  They took it pretty well for little kids.

I'm wishing you all continued strength in the various phases of this process you all are, your compassion speaks volumes about your kind spirits.  I will try to always pay it forward. 

Thank you for the update. You

Thank you for the update. You will get through all of this with loads of strength that will surprise you. Smile

I'm so happy for you to have a supportive family to help you on the hard days. If you haven't already, there is a thread called 'Ladies going through chemo' that you may find helpful. Several of us documented our treatments there. Loads of discussion.

I met a lady a few days ago that had cervical cancer and they only removed her tumor. She did not have a hysterectomy either. And, she didn't have chemo or radiation. They caught hers very early. She has been cancer free for over 6 years. I hope this helps ease your mind on keeping your "parts"!

Please keep in touch with us.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    Options
    AnnNYC said:

2nd opinion

2nd opinion is still being formulated.  2nd Dr. is a surgeon and appears to be leaning towards surgery first then chemo/radiation but he conceded that statistics do not show any better outcome by doing the radical hyst first, which is what my current onc. discussed with me as the reason it is not necessary to take on unnecessary complications for the same chance of survival/rate of recurrence.

I'm very torn.  I really wanted the surgery when this news first broke, but now having confirmation that it is in my lymph nodes and that it is a very agressive, more uncommon form of cancer (adenocarcinoma) makes me feel that the chemo/radiation is critical to start right away whereas the 2nd plan would not allow me to start chemo til mid to late June at best.  Currently, my dr's have me ready to begin radiation on the 18th and chemo on the 20th.  I'm really feeling like we need to catch any loose cells before they pop up anywhere else.  There is no great choice here.  The involvement of the lymph node makes an otherwise straightforward decision very complicated.

I do feel pretty confident in the path my current drs have set out, with chemo, internal, and external radiation, but maybe I'm just scared of having to start all over with a new dr and hospital and losing even more critical time before I can begin treating this.  I really would not want to restart the clock on being able to attack this problem by waiting another several weeks to even begin.  2nd dr also conceded that treatment could go either way and he has done both in his practice for cases similar to mine.

Any thoughts?

AnnNYC take it 1 day at a time

You will surprise yourself with the mental fortitude you will build up over time.You caught it early and thats a good thing, Don't start over thinking,or second guessing, it will trap you in confusion.then deliver you to depression,reject that route everytime ,all the time.

I pray, wish, hope that this interruption of your life with your family will be managable and  brief.

We will be here when you need leaning posts, we are good at bracing against strong winds even sunamis.We attempt to prevent total falls. All kinds of below the belt cancers relates us ,therefore we are your sisters, you won't be'heavy' just come when you need to.

Moli-Hugging.Welcome