Pain on the underside of my arm and Choice between 2nd lumpectomy or a mastectomy

nia1977
nia1977 Member Posts: 4

I am 3 weeks plus, out from my lumpectomy and sentinel node removal. I have been having pain on the under side of my arm(flabby side). I thought it was from the staples but those were finally taken out on Thursday and the pain is still there. The surgeons nurse says its normal. Does anyone else have this pain?

Also we got the results back from the lumpectomy and they did not get a clear margin. The nodes also were found to have cancer clusters in them. The surgeon wants to do another lumpectomy. The oncologist says if they can get it all this time then it would be ok to do another lumpectomy. I am scared and not sure whether to do another lumpectomy or just go ahead and have them take the whole thing. This was the first surgery I have ever had and it was pretty scary for me. I just can't stand the thought of doing it again and there still being a chance of them not getting it all and me having to have a 3rd surgery. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Pain lingering

I am 4 weeks out from a partial mastectomy, and I must say that flinches of pain in the most unusual places are popping up.  Remember that nerves were disturbed with any surgery, and it may be the nerves just regenerating. I have found that Advil helps.  I was also fortunate that someone purchased a TENS unit for me.  You would need to check with your surgeon first.  It has 2 electrode type structures and a control pack that you can regulate the amount of "jolt" that is administered.  I just put it on a low setting and it enables me to relax.  I have been told that some pain centers use them as well.

As to the choice of further surgery, that really needs to be a decision that you carefully discuss with your team.  Is there ever a guarantee that more surgery would get it all?  In my case, I was very fortunate that having chemo first brought my tumor and tentacles together and the surgeon was able to get clear wide margins.  While they took more than they expected, I am pleased with the outcome.

I hope that you can come to a peace filled decision - being here on this site seeking as much information as you can shows that  you are taking control - good for you!

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    i had two lumpectomies (same

i had two lumpectomies (same side) but years apart..(2nd time thought cancer , but it was scar tissue from first surgery)

Hard decision-----I hope you feel peace on whatever you decided...

hugs

Denise

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    Peace of mind is what matters

Not only did I have a radical on my left side but fought like a girl to have my right side removed as well and I have never looked back. I chose not to have my reconstruction for two years after surgery. I will be looking into that soon. I understand where you are coming from as 4 of my nodes were positive, so they took 18 out under my left arm for good measure. At the end of the day I don't worry as much. They were able to get clean margins. This surgery is life changing but so is cancer. It has grown me up for sure and their are good points to that. I personally didn't want to "what if" my life as I knew it now, so I opted for the double mastectomy. Zero regrets!

Hugs and more hugs and more after those ;)

Bonnie - I'm on facebook too as Bonnie Didion and all my pics are in there of my journey :)