Homeopathic gels/Tamoxifin

Options
Jazz88
Jazz88 Member Posts: 13 Member

Good Morning

For about a week I have been using a homeopathic gel from Peaceful Mountain which does have Sodium Hydroxide in it but is paraben-free to help with an injured achilles but am also a breast cancer survivor on Tamoxifin.  Just was wondering if anyone knows if it would block what the Tamoxifin is doing? It seems to be helping but don't want to be using anything that could cause additional cancer or block the effectiveness of my current medication.

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Please check with your oncologist or oncology nurse

I personally don't know anything about how a homeopathic gel might interact with Tamoxifen, but there are quite a few common medications that definitely do inhibit Tamoxifen's effectiveness to some extent -- some common ones are Benadryl, Tagamet, and some classes of antidepressants.

I've been on Tamoxifen for nearly 7 years -- only 3 more years to go! -- and I check in with my oncologist before taking ANYTHING over the counter for more than a few days, and always if another one of my doctors prescribes anything for me (primary care physicians may not be as knowledgeable about Tamoxifen).

I'm spending 10 years of my life doing everything I can to try to make sure I never have a breast cancer recurrence, and I want to make sure Tamoxifen is doing the most effective job it possibly can in my body.

Just how I feel for my own situation -- don't know if it helps?

Traci

• Jazz88
    Jazz88 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

I personally don't know anything about how a homeopathic gel might interact with Tamoxifen, but there are quite a few common medications that definitely do inhibit Tamoxifen's effectiveness to some extent -- some common ones are Benadryl, Tagamet, and some classes of antidepressants.

I've been on Tamoxifen for nearly 7 years -- only 3 more years to go! -- and I check in with my oncologist before taking ANYTHING over the counter for more than a few days, and always if another one of my doctors prescribes anything for me (primary care physicians may not be as knowledgeable about Tamoxifen).

I'm spending 10 years of my life doing everything I can to try to make sure I never have a breast cancer recurrence, and I want to make sure Tamoxifen is doing the most effective job it possibly can in my body.

Traci

Thank you TracilnLA for the

Thank you TracilnLA for the suggestion, I will give them a call just to be on the safe side!!

• Wabbitt
    Wabbitt Member Posts: 18
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Traci

Tamoxifen

What side effects have you experienced being on tamoxifen.  Weight loss/gain, hair thinning, hot flashes, increased bone loss, stomach issues?  anything?

I have osteoporosis and I know it hard on your bones.  They are suggesting taking raloxfene instead but it still have some side effects. 

I had minimally invasive ductal cancer and at first they said I would not need to take anything,  I'm just weighing everything..anything you can add would be appreciated about your journey on this drug.