arimidex and dry skin

maglets
maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

I am about a month into my arimidex and have a couple of questions.  At first I was taking the drug at night but thought it was disturbing my sleep so I switched to the morning.  I think the drug is causing nausea and actual stomach pain.  This seems to hit most of the day  and sometimes really badly after supper.  The crazy thing is some days seem good and other days I just feel like the worst case of flu......headachey, tired, depressed.

Also I am getting patching of red dry flakey skin on my face......has anyone else had this?  assume it is the lack of estrogen......any good moisturizer for mature skin??

mags

Comments

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Ouch!!

I'm sorry you're having those side effects. And I suppose if you didn't have any of that stuff before the Arimidex, it must be the Arimidex. That didn't happen to me so I have nothing to offer. But I do have an idea for a moisturizer -- I started using Miaderm for my face which is what was prescribed when I was going through radiation. It's expensive, but since it's just facial, one tube lasts a long time. And when you ask for it at the drugstore they feel sorry for you and smile extra hard because they think you need it for radiation:)

xoxo

Victoria

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    aisling8 said:

Ouch!!

I'm sorry you're having those side effects. And I suppose if you didn't have any of that stuff before the Arimidex, it must be the Arimidex. That didn't happen to me so I have nothing to offer. But I do have an idea for a moisturizer -- I started using Miaderm for my face which is what was prescribed when I was going through radiation. It's expensive, but since it's just facial, one tube lasts a long time. And when you ask for it at the drugstore they feel sorry for you and smile extra hard because they think you need it for radiation:)

xoxo

Victoria

Gosh, so sorry to hear this -

i am hoping and keeping my finger crossed that you find relief soon.

strength courage and hope for a cure.

Vicki Sam

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    Arimidex will dry you out

Mags, I  am on arimidex and been for about 2 years. I hope to only have 3 more yrs to go taking this wicked med. I have alot of side effects from this med and my ONC will not change it. He said I had to stay on it because he thought it was the best hormonal drug for me. My feet, legs, arms and elbows had dried out so much that they look like fish scales on a fish. I started using Eurcin Moisterizing Creme. You can buy it at Walmart and it is in a white jar. This creme is so good. My feet is the worst. I have to use a punice stone on them often, and when I do that I always put extra creme on them with a pair of footies and leave on for 1 or 2 days. When I take my footies off my feet will shine like a piece of glass. I guess I will have to use this creme till I am off this terrible arimidex. I should not complain because I am high risk of my breast cancer returning and it has not yet and it is keeping me alive. If you try this creme out let me know how it has worked for you. It has done wonders for me.    Hugs,  Pixie

• KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100

Arimidex will dry you out

Mags, I  am on arimidex and been for about 2 years. I hope to only have 3 more yrs to go taking this wicked med. I have alot of side effects from this med and my ONC will not change it. He said I had to stay on it because he thought it was the best hormonal drug for me. My feet, legs, arms and elbows had dried out so much that they look like fish scales on a fish. I started using Eurcin Moisterizing Creme. You can buy it at Walmart and it is in a white jar. This creme is so good. My feet is the worst. I have to use a punice stone on them often, and when I do that I always put extra creme on them with a pair of footies and leave on for 1 or 2 days. When I take my footies off my feet will shine like a piece of glass. I guess I will have to use this creme till I am off this terrible arimidex. I should not complain because I am high risk of my breast cancer returning and it has not yet and it is keeping me alive. If you try this creme out let me know how it has worked for you. It has done wonders for me.    Hugs,  Pixie

Femara and Arimidex problems

I first took Femera for about 6 months and it caused awful joint aches, so the doctor switched me to Arimidex.   In about 5 months on it, I got extreme lower back pain and couldn’t sit at my job all day, so much pain I sought help with a osteopath who did an MRI and showed me a nerve touching the bone.   And like a chiropractor, he could twist my body and it confirmed the location.  He told me no surgery could help, and I’d have the intense pain the rest of my life, and gave me Tramadol.   My gut said ‘stop the aromatase inhibitor because the aromatase inhibitors are what started my aches and pains.'   So I did.   Eight months later, my body recovered, and I no longer have the intense lower back pain.

Your quality of life makes a big difference.   There was no point of being flat on my back in pain most of the time, so quitting the aromatase inhibitors was the choice I made.