Solid Kidney Mass @ 25 years old.... ALM? RCC?

Options
Miss_Kuz
Miss_Kuz Member Posts: 3

Hey All,

Thanks for accepting me onto the forum - i've found reading your posts extremely helpful as I wait for more tests. I'm hoping for some insight/others experiences/ advice on some news of a mass in my right kidney. I had 2 ultrasounds which found:

2cmX1.7cmX1.2cm - Homogenously hyperechoic renal mass, suspected to be an Angiomyolipoma.

3 other small (biggest being 1.3 cm) liver leisions, which they think are likely benign hepatic hemangiomas (unless underlying malignancy is found...)

I found these after complaining of recurring abdo pain, I also have nausea and vomitting intermitant for months which was blamed on a hemoragic ovarian cyst, so these findings were (and I understand they commonly are) incidental. I'm waiting for more imaging (CT scan) in a couple weeks. I'm very anxious waiting...

My question for now is - Anyone else with Angiomyolipomas out there? Seems like they are less common than RCC (renal cell carcinoma) and specifically less comon in people my age, I'm only 25! Any personal experiences, opinions and advice is appreciated

-Meg

Comments

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Meg,I don't know about

Meg,

I don't know about angiomyolipomas, but hopefuly others will chime in. I've seen some on this board who had suspicious mass on their kidneys and after the neph,pathology report proved it wasn't malignant, hopefully yours is benign too.

we're here for you to walk along all the way with you if you want us too.

You're in my thoughts and prayers

Forough

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    foroughsh said:

Meg,I don't know about

Meg,

I don't know about angiomyolipomas, but hopefuly others will chime in. I've seen some on this board who had suspicious mass on their kidneys and after the neph,pathology report proved it wasn't malignant, hopefully yours is benign too.

we're here for you to walk along all the way with you if you want us too.

You're in my thoughts and prayers

Forough

No more kids in the club

Meg,  

As you can see reading the posts you are the 3rd 20 something trying to get in our club the past few weeks. Most of us start our journey after age 50. That being said we hope you do not meet our qualifications (a malignant kidney tumor), but if you do  we are here to help you. Right now worst case scenerio with a tumor that size on your kidney, your chance for a full and complete recovery after surgery (the initiation) are close  to 100%. As for the liver stuff, hopefully nothing, but it is above my paygrade.

Icemantoo

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    icemantoo said:

No more kids in the club

Meg,  

As you can see reading the posts you are the 3rd 20 something trying to get in our club the past few weeks. Most of us start our journey after age 50. That being said we hope you do not meet our qualifications (a malignant kidney tumor), but if you do  we are here to help you. Right now worst case scenerio with a tumor that size on your kidney, your chance for a full and complete recovery after surgery (the initiation) are close  to 100%. As for the liver stuff, hopefully nothing, but it is above my paygrade.

Icemantoo

Welcome Meg

Love your Lady & the Tramp photo....so cute!

I also do not have experience with that type of mass, but the good news is that it's small and obviously caught pretty early. 

I wanted to chime in to let you know I'll keep you in my prayers.  I hope that you are able to get this resolved fairly quickly.  I also hope your CT will be with and without contrast.  The only reason I say that is because my first one was ordered without and I ended up having to go thru it again, when the docs decided it should have been ordered with contrast. 

Good luck and keep us posted,

Donna~

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    hardo718 said:

Welcome Meg

Love your Lady & the Tramp photo....so cute!

I also do not have experience with that type of mass, but the good news is that it's small and obviously caught pretty early. 

I wanted to chime in to let you know I'll keep you in my prayers.  I hope that you are able to get this resolved fairly quickly.  I also hope your CT will be with and without contrast.  The only reason I say that is because my first one was ordered without and I ended up having to go thru it again, when the docs decided it should have been ordered with contrast. 

Good luck and keep us posted,

Donna~

Welcome Meg! I, too, ADORE

Welcome Meg! I, too, ADORE your Lady and the Tramp photo!

So sorry to have to meet you under these circumstances. Not fun, especially at your young age. As others have said, though, the news may not be as bad as you think - but we will help you through this process.

Snuggle with your pooch and feel better. Keep us posted!

Hugs

Jojo

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Jojo61 said:

Welcome Meg! I, too, ADORE

Welcome Meg! I, too, ADORE your Lady and the Tramp photo!

So sorry to have to meet you under these circumstances. Not fun, especially at your young age. As others have said, though, the news may not be as bad as you think - but we will help you through this process.

Snuggle with your pooch and feel better. Keep us posted!

Hugs

Jojo

Hello,
    my husband has

Hello,

my husband has experience both with RCC and angiomyolipoma. His AML was just discovered on ultrasound in February, but is much smalller - 4 mm. He seems to have had it at the time of cancer last year, simply his was not mentioned in CT report.

As I understand, AML is most common benign lesion in kidney. Latest research shows that 0.6 % of women (and 0.23 % of men) have them. So, not as common as RCC, but also not THAT rare at all. 

CTs are very good at differentiating between RCC and AML, so your scan will give you peace of mind.

Anyway, no matter what this lesion turns out to be - you'll be fine. If it is AML -'it is small and most likely will simply be monitored. Even if it is RCC - it is also so small that surgery will be a curative one.

good luck with uour scan and keep us posted!

Alla

• nancybuck
    nancybuck Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Welcome

Unfortunately, I know nothing of what you are referring to in your post. 

I know there are many other clubs that a beautiful young woman your age would prefer to join, but we are a pretty good group of folks who will be here for you as best we can.

Warm hugs and hoping you feel better soon.

• mrou50
    mrou50 Member Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Sorry

I don't know much about your illness but I am sorry that you had to join this club.  Everyone here is very supportive so welcome to our group.

Mark

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    MrgYou can join

Meg

You can join smartpatients.com

You can recieve information and technical support from its users.

• Miss_Kuz
    Options
    Answers soon!

Hey Guys,

Thank you ALL for your kind words and support. I've had my CT and am getting the results tonight. I also had to have a 3rd ultrasound as the lymph nodes in my groin have swelled up (anyone else had this? it SUCKS! hehe :) ).

As per everyones advice i'm keeping an optomistic outlook and a positive attitude - i'm trying not to stress until there are answers. Everyone has put me at ease by encouraging that even if it is a diagnosis of malignancy - the outlook is very good.

I will let you guys know how I make out - once again THANK YOU ALL! :)

-Meg

• Miss_Kuz
    Options
    foroughsh said:

MrgYou can join

Meg

You can join smartpatients.com

You can recieve information and technical support from its users.

Thanks Foroughsh! I'll check

Thanks Foroughsh! I'll check it out