88 Year Old Mother Just Diagnosed with Salivary Gland Cancer

Options
2»

Comments

• stevenpepe
    stevenpepe Member Posts: 234
    Options
    My doctor at Sloan

I just had tongue surgery on April 1st of this year at Sloan-Kettering in NY and had Dr. Ian Ganly as my surgeon oncologist. Wonderful personality, bedside manner, and highly educated and experienced in his field. He was assigned to me and i am grateful.

• Teree61
    Teree61 Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2016 #23
    Options
    Mom Has Passed

Hello Everyone.  Mom was brought back to the hospital on April 26 with low oxygen, weakness and difficulty breathing.  She was placed on a BiPap machine.  The first few days she was alert and talking, even though through the mask talking was difficult.  We saw changes in her and knew she was not going to get better.  After the fourth day she "slept" for three more days.  Breathing became different on Tuesday night, the 3rd.  She then passed away at 1:00 am on the 4th of May with me at her bedside in the hospital.  Needless to say we cannot believe how fast this disease took her life.  She was only diagnoeasd with the lung cancer on March 29th.  It was a nervewracking 36 days, but we have to be thankful that she did not suffer at all and went peacefully.  Thank you all for your input and advice.  :> :>

• SusanUES
    SusanUES Member Posts: 125
    Options
    My sincerest condolences...

I am so very sorry to read your news and hope your dear mom will rest in peace.  All God's blessings to you, dear...this is a very difficult time for you, I'm sure.  The loss of a mom cuts to the bone.

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Teree61 said:

Mom Has Passed

Hello Everyone.  Mom was brought back to the hospital on April 26 with low oxygen, weakness and difficulty breathing.  She was placed on a BiPap machine.  The first few days she was alert and talking, even though through the mask talking was difficult.  We saw changes in her and knew she was not going to get better.  After the fourth day she "slept" for three more days.  Breathing became different on Tuesday night, the 3rd.  She then passed away at 1:00 am on the 4th of May with me at her bedside in the hospital.  Needless to say we cannot believe how fast this disease took her life.  She was only diagnoeasd with the lung cancer on March 29th.  It was a nervewracking 36 days, but we have to be thankful that she did not suffer at all and went peacefully.  Thank you all for your input and advice.  :> :>

very sorry

This is a sad day - losing to cancer is a real bummer. Thankfully this part of her journey was swift and not prolonged with pain and suffering. She is in a better place now.  

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Options
    May her memory be eternal

I'm sorry for your loss Teree, and may you find some comfort in the days ahead. Head and neck cancer is a rough difficult road and 88 years, wow, it may have been very difficult for her.

bless you and your family,

Barbara

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    edited May 2016 #27
    Options
    I am truly sorry for your loss.

There are no words that can help, but I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Cherish all the wonderful memories you have and they can help. My prayers for you and your family, she is in a better place.

Bill

• LiseA
    LiseA Member Posts: 266
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss,

I am so sorry for your loss, but in a way, thankful that she didn't suffer for and then die.  So happy you could have been there for her. I'm sure it made her feel safe. 

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    Options
    I am so sorry. May her memory

I am so sorry. May her memory be a blessing.

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    May you find comfort in happy

May you find comfort in happy memories.