Taxol Ugh!

Just_lori6
Just_lori6 Member Posts: 76

Hi everyone,

I had finally finished getting the AC chemo & had my first taxol on Monday. I feel like I have the flu (for 3 days now). I have googled a little about it and it sounds fairly normal. 

My question is have any of you experienced this and if so do you have any suggestions on feeling better? Also am I going to be sick each time I get my treatment? I have taken Advil which didn't help. I recently took Tylenol which may have helped very little (could be the heating pad I've laid on for 2 hours). 

I have a call into my doctor but thought I'd see if you guys have any advice. 

I got a note to return to work from my doctor & now I'm wondering if I should've waited longer. 

Thanks for any advice~

XO, 

Lori 

Comments

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    Sorry, Lori! I did have some

Sorry, Lori! I did have some fluish feeling, mostly from the neulasta, but I think taxol can do it too. Are you taking Claritin? It helps with the bone pain and histimine reaction.

• Just_lori6
    twnkltoz said:

Sorry, Lori! I did have some

Sorry, Lori! I did have some fluish feeling, mostly from the neulasta, but I think taxol can do it too. Are you taking Claritin? It helps with the bone pain and histimine reaction.

Thanks

Thank you Twnkltiz,

I am taking Claritin but I've taken it for years for allergies so maybe I'm immune to it now 8/ 

I get the neupogen shots for 5 days after chemo & the very first one made me feel like I had the flu. I learned to take a pain pill with each shot and did not get sick again.

I tried the pain pills (left over from surgery) with this new sickness & they didn't help.

Gosh I hope this feeling goes away as I get chemo... 

Thanks again~ are you done with all your treatments & rads now?

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member

Thanks

Thank you Twnkltiz,

I am taking Claritin but I've taken it for years for allergies so maybe I'm immune to it now 8/ 

I get the neupogen shots for 5 days after chemo & the very first one made me feel like I had the flu. I learned to take a pain pill with each shot and did not get sick again.

I tried the pain pills (left over from surgery) with this new sickness & they didn't help.

Taxotere and Me

My 1st thought upon seeing your post was,"Oh Boy, here it comes." After 4 rounds of A/C I had 12 rounds of Taxotere which is also a Taxane class drug like Taxol. There is no way on earth I would have been able to go to work during chemo. While I realize everyone reacts differently to chemo I found the Taxotere rounds VERY difficult. Side effects tend to be cumulative over time. This means that as time goes on the symptoms increase in variety and severity.

There was fatigue so strong that it was all I could do to remove my pjs to shower, take the shower and dress again. That was enough to send me back to bed. Then of course there was the absolute lack of desire to eat. My doctor said it was far more important to keep hydrated than to eat so I drank water on a timed schedule. Let's just say it was a good thing I was overweight to start with since I lost 45 pounds. Unfortunately I have since regained most of it.

The single worst side effect, which continues to this day over 5 years later is the excessively watery eyes.I have learned that damage to the tear ducts and puncta of the eyes is "a well known side effect of Taxotere." It took visits to an opthamologist, optometrist, and an oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon to get an accurate diagnosis. I also learned this could have been prevented by thorough flushing of the eyes during the Taxotere rounds. So if this is one of your side effects, don't ignore it and think it will go away. It does for most people but not for everyone. I am proof of that. 

All that being said, I never missed a single round of chemo due to low blood counts or dehydration. I was determined to just get it over with. Since then I have seen my daughter graduate from both high school and college and have seen my son graduate from college, also. I have also celebrated several more wedding anniversaries. When I was diagnosed I never thought any of that would occur. May your chemo treatments go as smoothly as you hope.

IRENE

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Taxol
    I had no problems

Taxol

I had no problems with queasiness or anything like that when I switched from AC to Taxol.  That was nice, as I quit taking the anti-puke drugs.  I am not sure, though, what few challenges I did have over that period of time was an accumulation of treatments OR the taxol.  I had achy hips for a few days the weekend after my Monday infusion.  I also had troubles with coughing if I took too deep of breaths or the type of breath you take when catching yout breath.  The coughing really became difficult for me the last month of my treatments.  About ten days after my infusion, I struggled.  My onc recommended allergy pills, and they really did help. 

I did have reactions twice (last two) with the taxol, but they did not cause me to have to get off schedule, as things quickly got back under control.

I did neulasta shots, except after the final infusion.

Not sure if this helps, though.

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member

Thanks

Thank you Twnkltiz,

Remind yourself it's temporary! I felt improvement within a couple weeks of finishing chemo.

I'm all done now! Working on recovery and trying to get my body back. :-) 

• Just_lori6
    twnkltoz said:

Remind yourself it's temporary! I felt improvement within a couple weeks of finishing chemo.

I'm all done now! Working on recovery and trying to get my body back. :-) 

Woohoo!

That's wonderful your done!

Thank you, I try to remember that some day this will be behind me. It is easier to believe when I hear it from others Laughing

I can't wait to be done & get my mind & body back~

• Just_lori6

Taxotere and Me

My 1st thought upon seeing your post was,"Oh Boy, here it comes." After 4 rounds of A/C I had 12 rounds of Taxotere which is also a Taxane class drug like Taxol. There is no way on earth I would have been able to go to work during chemo. While I realize everyone reacts differently to chemo I found the Taxotere rounds VERY difficult. Side effects tend to be cumulative over time. This means that as time goes on the symptoms increase in variety and severity.

There was fatigue so strong that it was all I could do to remove my pjs to shower, take the shower and dress again. That was enough to send me back to bed. Then of course there was the absolute lack of desire to eat. My doctor said it was far more important to keep hydrated than to eat so I drank water on a timed schedule. Let's just say it was a good thing I was overweight to start with since I lost 45 pounds. Unfortunately I have since regained most of it.

The single worst side effect, which continues to this day over 5 years later is the excessively watery eyes.I have learned that damage to the tear ducts and puncta of the eyes is "a well known side effect of Taxotere." It took visits to an opthamologist, optometrist, and an oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon to get an accurate diagnosis. I also learned this could have been prevented by thorough flushing of the eyes during the Taxotere rounds. So if this is one of your side effects, don't ignore it and think it will go away. It does for most people but not for everyone. I am proof of that. 

All that being said, I never missed a single round of chemo due to low blood counts or dehydration. I was determined to just get it over with. Since then I have seen my daughter graduate from both high school and college and have seen my son graduate from college, also. I have also celebrated several more wedding anniversaries. When I was diagnosed I never thought any of that would occur. May your chemo treatments go as smoothly as you hope.

IRENE

8)

Thank you Irene,

That's wonderful you've gotten to experience the graduations and more anniversaries!

I'm trying to remember that this is temporary but sometimes I have a hard time believing I will be normal or new normal some day. I'm wishing I wouldn't have requested to go back to work yet. If my next treatment is worse than this one I won't be able to work & I'll have to talk to my boss about extending my leave. Ugh~ 

I was a few pounds over weight to. I am not now which is ok. 

Thanks for the advice~ it does help me when I know that I'm not alone.

Best wishes~ Lori 

• Just_lori6

Taxol
    I had no problems

Taxol

I had no problems with queasiness or anything like that when I switched from AC to Taxol.  That was nice, as I quit taking the anti-puke drugs.  I am not sure, though, what few challenges I did have over that period of time was an accumulation of treatments OR the taxol.  I had achy hips for a few days the weekend after my Monday infusion.  I also had troubles with coughing if I took too deep of breaths or the type of breath you take when catching yout breath.  The coughing really became difficult for me the last month of my treatments.  About ten days after my infusion, I struggled.  My onc recommended allergy pills, and they really did help. 

I did have reactions twice (last two) with the taxol, but they did not cause me to have to get off schedule, as things quickly got back under control.

I did neulasta shots, except after the final infusion.

Not sure if this helps, though.

Thanks~

Thank you Desert Girl! 

I'm hoping my next treatment goes better than this one. I had achy hips like you did along with pain everywhere else 8 (

Thanks for the advice~

Lori

• vmorgan0926
    vmorgan0926 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same treatment

I also did 4 rounds of a/c and 12 of taxol. I could not work the whole time while on taxol. The first 2 treatments weren't bad but everyone after I was sick. Then really tired. My last treatment was xmas eve. By surgery a month later I was pretty much back to normal. It's a long road but when its finally over it will feel like it went so fast. You will be fine and you will beat this. Keep you head high!

• Wrongway
    Wrongway Member Posts: 6
    Just keep swimmin

i too felt like poo with taxol and neulasta....not sure which made me feel worse.  I would be ok for about 2 hrs after treatment, and then everything changed quickly.  Same with my day after neulasta.  I did find eating toast with applesauce on it made me feel better, atlea it stayed down or in!  

• surban2005
    surban2005 Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry if I'm doing this

I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong, this will be my first post here. I just finished my first 3 rounds of chemo and on Friday I had my first round of the 2nd 3 treatments where I will get taxotere. At first, on Saturday, I thought, gee, at least my entire body is not as bad reaction, I'm only slightly red and puffy and at least I can breathe and swallow, but by Monday, the swelling was still there and by Tuesday the pain in my fingernails and toenails started, unable to type, only able to barely hold a stylus to type. (I'm still working from home on computer so extremely slow and painful). Swelling in my left foot but after ultrasound no blood clot, so guess it's just an old injury not doing well. As far as Taxotere these symptoms are not lessening, like they have for the first 3 treatments under different drugs. They seem to get worse. my hands are on fire, swollen and now a rash has developed and grown slowly over the backs of both hands and in between the fingers. There are bumps appearing and then disappearing on the roof of my mouth. Fatigue is ongoing and increasing, unable to sleep soundly. I'm taking melatonin to help. I have no other prescription drugs except a water pill they prescribed for the swelling. No nauseau, but everything goes from no real taste, to then tasting extremely metallic (only way to describe) Burning urination and privates, using wipes for that. At first diarrea but now,  not so much. It is 9 days since my first Taxotere treatement and 71 days since I started chemo. Eyelashes are now falling out faster along with eyebrows. Finger nails are holding on, but still painful. At first pain in muscles and bones traveled and 'suprised' me, but now ache is all over. Yep, Taxotere is not nice and is much worse overal then the first 3 treatments. I have 2 more to go. My next one will be 4/15/16 then 3 weeks, the my last. I have a 4 week break this time, Doctor's away, but I'm typically having total 6 treatments 3 weeks apart. I have Invasive ductal Carcenoma, tumor stated at 5.5 cm.

• Jpierce
    Jpierce Member Posts: 3

I'm sorry if I'm doing this

I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong, this will be my first post here. I just finished my first 3 rounds of chemo and on Friday I had my first round of the 2nd 3 treatments where I will get taxotere. At first, on Saturday, I thought, gee, at least my entire body is not as bad reaction, I'm only slightly red and puffy and at least I can breathe and swallow, but by Monday, the swelling was still there and by Tuesday the pain in my fingernails and toenails started, unable to type, only able to barely hold a stylus to type. (I'm still working from home on computer so extremely slow and painful). Swelling in my left foot but after ultrasound no blood clot, so guess it's just an old injury not doing well. As far as Taxotere these symptoms are not lessening, like they have for the first 3 treatments under different drugs. They seem to get worse. my hands are on fire, swollen and now a rash has developed and grown slowly over the backs of both hands and in between the fingers. There are bumps appearing and then disappearing on the roof of my mouth. Fatigue is ongoing and increasing, unable to sleep soundly. I'm taking melatonin to help. I have no other prescription drugs except a water pill they prescribed for the swelling. No nauseau, but everything goes from no real taste, to then tasting extremely metallic (only way to describe) Burning urination and privates, using wipes for that. At first diarrea but now,  not so much. It is 9 days since my first Taxotere treatement and 71 days since I started chemo. Eyelashes are now falling out faster along with eyebrows. Finger nails are holding on, but still painful. At first pain in muscles and bones traveled and 'suprised' me, but now ache is all over. Yep, Taxotere is not nice and is much worse overal then the first 3 treatments. I have 2 more to go. My next one will be 4/15/16 then 3 weeks, the my last. I have a 4 week break this time, Doctor's away, but I'm typically having total 6 treatments 3 weeks apart. I have Invasive ductal Carcenoma, tumor stated at 5.5 cm.

Call your oncologist

surban, I hope you have contacted your oncologist about your symptoms. It sounds like you are experiencing some side effects that your team should know about. I had pain in my hands and feet too. I experienced worse side effects from the Taxol than from the AC. I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there.

• akshoop
    akshoop Member Posts: 2

8)

Thank you Irene,

That's wonderful you've gotten to experience the graduations and more anniversaries!

I'm trying to remember that this is temporary but sometimes I have a hard time believing I will be normal or new normal some day. I'm wishing I wouldn't have requested to go back to work yet. If my next treatment is worse than this one I won't be able to work & I'll have to talk to my boss about extending my leave. Ugh~ 

I was a few pounds over weight to. I am not now which is ok. 

Thanks for the advice~ it does help me when I know that I'm not alone.

Best wishes~ Lori 

I see the Ugh-- suggests

I see the Ugh-- suggests asking to extend leave feels challenging.  If so--Have you signed up for FMLA?

• Kfish
    Kfish Member Posts: 11
    Taxol vs taxotere

i will be starting 12 weekly treatments of Taxol and Herceptin on September 7, 2016. Lori's comments above are frightening and I hope her treatment team was able to bring her side effects under control and alleviate her pain and discomfort. 

Does anyone have tips to share about managing side defects from Taxol?  Any sugestions would be very much appreciated!  Hugs to all!

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2016 #16
    Taxol lowered my blood count

Taxol lowered my blood count and blood pressure.  I had 3 blood transfusions during chemo.  So if you're super tired, let your MO or NP know. My Chemo Induced Periferal Neuropathy started mid-chemo.  Stinging in my hands and fingers and numbness in my feet.  That side effect was to gradually go away on it's own, and it has decreased in my hands and I was prescribed Lyrica to help with my feet.  I think I still have some chemo-brain rebounds, but only occasionally. I ended chemo Feb 18, 2016. Best wishes for you.