Help with Clinical Trials

Cazz
Cazz Member Posts: 106

I am going to post this on the colorectal forum as well as its a general topic.

My first scan to see the efficacy of Erbitux is in a couple of weeks.  As I have never had a chemo that has made a dent on my liver, lymph etc. mets, I don't hold out much hope here either, so I've been researching clinical trials, again.  How is one supposed to figure all this stuff out?  I've found a couple that sound interesting, but interesting enough to fly from San Francisco to Boston three times a month?  It all seems a bit of a crap shoot.  I have printed out my latest top two picks and will take them in to my local oncologist for his input, but I can hardly ask him to go through all of the trial descriptions online and pick what he thinks is best for me out of the top 15 - 20.

How do you guys do it?  Have you got friends with medical backgrounds willing to help, or do you have a staff person at your treatment center who is tasked with helping to narrow the lists down and advise you?  Its all a bit overwhelming for me, but I'd hate to miss out on something worthwhile just because I don't understand the criteria terms.

Just wondering.

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Cazz

It does all sound like quite a challenge to do the research and you're probably right--most doctors do not have that kind of time.  Fortunately (and for which I am truly grateful), I have not had to deal with this, at least up to this date.  Perhaps some of our other posters will be able to give you some good feedback on how they've handled this.  My heart goes out to you--I'm sure it's overwhelming.

Martha

• tallorder5793
    tallorder5793 Member Posts: 67
    Hi Cazz

I wouldn't give up all hope on the Erbitux. I am also taking that drug right now. I have read it has helped some people. i hope it helps you.

Regarding clinical trials, I recently called American Cancer Society re. about it. They mailed me a packet of information. Because I am so busy with doctor's appointments. insurance issues, and general life issues, I haven't had any time to look at it. Anyway my suggestion would be to speak to American Cancer Society phone rep. The person I spoke with was informative and helpful.

Hope this helps.

• nonichol
    nonichol Member Posts: 170
    Go to clinical trials . Gov.

Go to clinical trials . Gov. The list trials. Dr usually want med records then still do testing to choose best trial for you. Also, ask current dr for recommendations . Mayo clinic helpful and Morres cancer center in San Diego.