Have pain in left-chest, shoulder, after Ivor-Lewis operation

daxxax
daxxax Member Posts: 4
edited February 2016 in Esophageal Cancer #1

Hello,

I had Ivor-Lewis operation almost four years ago. Since that time, when I push myself physically. I sometimes get extreme "pressure" pain in my left upper chest and left shoulder. Its probably happened 8 or 9 times since my surgery. Its always after I've spent a considerable amount of time working on knees, bending at the waist. Yard and house work type stuff. The pain typically wont start till a few hours after I've stopped being physical. It usually lasts a few hours, and is extermely painful. While going through the pain, I have to stand up and walk around, when I sit down, or elevate my chest/shoulder hurts even more.

I keep myself very fit, I run, lift-weights, go on 7 mile walks, use an eliptical. Those types of activities dont seem to cause the pain. As I mentioned before, it seems like it happens more often when I'm bending at the waist, working on my knees.

I asked my Oncoalogist about it, and he never seems to know what might be causing it. I have a appointment in a few weeks, and plan on pushing hard for an answer.

Has anyone who had a Ivor-Lewis operation experienced this?

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Many of us have some pain after surgery

I had Ivor Lewis surgery a little over six years ago and I still get pain after exertion in the right side of my chest. It is normally centered around the area where the incisions were from my surgery. After they cut through the muscle in my back and side I don’t think it healed back quite the same. It seems that the muscles spasm and are sore for a while after I have done lifting or raking out in the yard. I have found that using a heating pad helps to relax the muscles and ease the pain.

The only time I get pain in the left side of my chest is when I eat too much. If I overeat I will get discomfort in my left chest and in my back. I am sure we all have lots of adhesions and scar tissue from our surgery.

Since I am over five years out from treatment I no longer have regular scans but I do have a chest x-ray every year before I see my oncologist so they can check to insure that there is no herniation of abdominal organs through the diaphragm. Herniation is unfortunately not uncommon for this type of surgery so if you have not had a recent scan or x-ray that may be something to consider.

Best Regards,
    Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009
    Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009 Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    Five Year Survivor

• daxxax
    paul61 said:

Many of us have some pain after surgery

I had Ivor Lewis surgery a little over six years ago and I still get pain after exertion in the right side of my chest. It is normally centered around the area where the incisions were from my surgery. After they cut through the muscle in my back and side I don’t think it healed back quite the same. It seems that the muscles spasm and are sore for a while after I have done lifting or raking out in the yard. I have found that using a heating pad helps to relax the muscles and ease the pain.

The only time I get pain in the left side of my chest is when I eat too much. If I overeat I will get discomfort in my left chest and in my back. I am sure we all have lots of adhesions and scar tissue from our surgery.

Since I am over five years out from treatment I no longer have regular scans but I do have a chest x-ray every year before I see my oncologist so they can check to insure that there is no herniation of abdominal organs through the diaphragm. Herniation is unfortunately not uncommon for this type of surgery so if you have not had a recent scan or x-ray that may be something to consider.

Best Regards,
    Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009
    Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009 Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    Five Year Survivor

Yes, I have pain along my

Yes, I have pain along my scars, I still have problems with numbness in my chest. Depending on the weather (Air Pressure maybe?) My many aches and pains vary in degree all over my torso. And eating or drinking to much, definitely causes throwing up and uncomfortableness.

But the pain I'm talking about in my first post is very different. As I describe it, it sounds like the same pain someone has before a heart attack. Its very different then the normal day to day aches and pains I deal with since the surgery. Its  a competely different type of pain, and it lingers for hours, ends. And may not come again till 4 or 6 months later depending on my physical activites.

I will take your advice and get a chest x-ray.

• daxxax
    daxxax said:

Yes, I have pain along my

Yes, I have pain along my scars, I still have problems with numbness in my chest. Depending on the weather (Air Pressure maybe?) My many aches and pains vary in degree all over my torso. And eating or drinking to much, definitely causes throwing up and uncomfortableness.

But the pain I'm talking about in my first post is very different. As I describe it, it sounds like the same pain someone has before a heart attack. Its very different then the normal day to day aches and pains I deal with since the surgery. Its  a competely different type of pain, and it lingers for hours, ends. And may not come again till 4 or 6 months later depending on my physical activites.

I will take your advice and get a chest x-ray.

I think I found it

After some research, and another appointment. There is a major nerve that connects the Esophagus and to the heart. This nerve gets inflammed or stressed and creates the pain.

• LorettaMarshall
    LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
    daxxax said:

I think I found it

After some research, and another appointment. There is a major nerve that connects the Esophagus and to the heart. This nerve gets inflammed or stressed and creates the pain.

daxxax~References about the VAGUS nerve

Hello “daxxax”

Since you say you’ve done some research, would you be talking about the VAGUS nerve?  Here are some links that talk about that nerve.  I’m just amazed at the intricacy of the body parts.  A look at this “body map” is certainly proof to me of “intelligent design”.  Any part of the body that you wish to look at more closely, just key it in and it will show up.  It’s amazing what a “wireless computer system” God has put inside our human bodies!  And I’m so appreciative of surgeons who are smart enough to “take up apart and put us back together again.” 

Loretta

Wife of William, EC Stage III (T3N1M0) who had Ivor Lewis Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy by Dr. James D. Luketich, UPMC, May 17, 2003.  Williams now into his 14th year of being cancer free.  Thank God.

References to add to your research if you wish.

1. http://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/vagus-nerve
    2. http://www.livestrong.com/article/148586-what-are-the-causes-of-vagus-nerve-damage/
    3. http://www.newhealthguide.org/Vagus-Nerve.html
    4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1422586/