Gyn/oncologist in Philly area

Hi All:

Just beginning my journey and want to make sure I get the best care in my area. Does anyone have any recommendations for a gynecological oncologist in the Philadelphia/South or Central Jersey area?  Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions. 

Comments

• Kathy G.
    Kathy G. Member Posts: 244 Member
    Hi CheeseQueen!
    I know you

Hi CheeseQueen!

I know you asked about the Philly/NJ area, but I am from DE and had a great oncologist from Chrisitiana Hospital in Newark, DE. He told me at my initial visit my cancer was very early stage and he should be able to get it with surgery only. This was just from looking at my biopsy report.

He turned out to be correct. I was stage 1 - grade 1 and am 3 years NED.

His name is Dr. Mark Borowsky. He doesn't have the best bedside manner, but I will take competance over that anyday. I also love his staff who did my follow-ups. Most are female and DO have wonderful bedside manners. Or maybe that is just because they are women!

Best of luck!

Kathy

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Kathy G. said:

Hi CheeseQueen!
    I know you

Hi CheeseQueen!

I know you asked about the Philly/NJ area, but I am from DE and had a great oncologist from Chrisitiana Hospital in Newark, DE. He told me at my initial visit my cancer was very early stage and he should be able to get it with surgery only. This was just from looking at my biopsy report.

He turned out to be correct. I was stage 1 - grade 1 and am 3 years NED.

His name is Dr. Mark Borowsky. He doesn't have the best bedside manner, but I will take competance over that anyday. I also love his staff who did my follow-ups. Most are female and DO have wonderful bedside manners. Or maybe that is just because they are women!

Best of luck!

Kathy

Gyn/oncol Philly/NJ area

Kathy, thanks for your response and so happy to hear of your success!

I've decided to go to Fox Chase.  I'm seeing a gyn/onc there named Dr. Stephanie King.  I've only seen her once, but I'm very comfortable with the Fox Chase environment and her training (Penn) and background (pioneer in minimally invasive surgery for gyn cancers) is impressive.  Hoping for good news after surgery on March 17, although I already know it's high grade. 

Continued good health!

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 476 Member
    Hi CheeseQueen,
    Dr. King at

Hi CheeseQueen,

Dr. King at FCCC performed surgery a couple of years ago on one of my friends who had a LMP ovarian tumor.  She really likes her and is doing well since the surgery.  I'm from Central Jersey and worked in Philly for many years until retiring in July.  However, my endometrial cancer surgery in 1999 was performed by a gynecologic oncologist in New Brunswick, NJ.  He was the absolute best, but, unfortunately, retired in 2014.  I remained a patient of his from 1999 until his retirement. 

Incidentally, my pre-surgery ultrasound reported "probable fibroid."  I did not have any CT or MRI scans before surgery, but what was reported as a probable fibroid on the ultrasound report turned out to be the major site of my endometrial tumor. 

Best of luck to you with your St. Patrick's Day surgery! 

Maureen

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    MoeKay said:

Hi CheeseQueen,
    Dr. King at

Hi CheeseQueen,

Dr. King at FCCC performed surgery a couple of years ago on one of my friends who had a LMP ovarian tumor.  She really likes her and is doing well since the surgery.  I'm from Central Jersey and worked in Philly for many years until retiring in July.  However, my endometrial cancer surgery in 1999 was performed by a gynecologic oncologist in New Brunswick, NJ.  He was the absolute best, but, unfortunately, retired in 2014.  I remained a patient of his from 1999 until his retirement. 

Incidentally, my pre-surgery ultrasound reported "probable fibroid."  I did not have any CT or MRI scans before surgery, but what was reported as a probable fibroid on the ultrasound report turned out to be the major site of my endometrial tumor. 

Best of luck to you with your St. Patrick's Day surgery! 

Maureen

Probably Fibroid

Thanks Maureen.  Hoping to have success with Dr. King, also.  I did get good reports on a Dr. at St. Peter's in New Brunswick, but Fox Chase is closer for me since I live in Bucks County and top notch also.

I am a little concerned about the so called "fibroid" also.  I never had any fibroids in the past, it never showed up on an ultrasound 7 years ago, and my gynecologist let it slip in my first exam that women don't usually grow fibroids in menopause because they are estrogen dependent.  Now since then a couple of gyns have dispelled that thinking, but still it's in the back of my mind.  It's also causing me right lower flank pain. 

I know just enough to be dangerous Tongue Out

I met my husband on St. Patrick's Day 31 years ago.  Perhaps I'll have the luck of the Irish with me this year. 

Thanks to all for your caring advice and input!