elevated tumor marker bloodwork

Options
lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548

2 years after completing Arimidex and a bilateral mastectomy, my tumor markers are flagged HIGH.

Anyone with this experience??  Outcome?

Thanks,

Carol

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Persoanally I do not have any

Persoanally I do not have any experience..but I am sure others here will be able to give you some helpful advice.

Denise

• lizzie17
    Options

Persoanally I do not have any

Persoanally I do not have any experience..but I am sure others here will be able to give you some helpful advice.

Denise

hoping so :)

• corey50
    corey50 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

It could be nothing

I know how scary it is when there's anything abnormal on blood work, but it might be nothing. How elevated was the marker? Was it elevated against a baseline that was taken when you were originally dx? Some docs don't even do tumor markers anymore, believing they don't tell you much or have false positives. I think, and I could be wrong, but the american cancer society doesn't even list them as part of follow-up treatment on their newest guidelines.

My mother was a colon cancer survivor and at two different times her tumor markers were elevated, and both times the oncologist ordered a pet scan and ct scan and both times there was nothing out of the ordinary. It obviously was either the blood test was wrong, or some people their markers are just high, that's why I asked about the baseline.

Try to stay positive, not easy I know, and I'm sure your doc will order the blood drawn again, before going forward.

Good luck and good health.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    corey50 said:

It could be nothing

I know how scary it is when there's anything abnormal on blood work, but it might be nothing. How elevated was the marker? Was it elevated against a baseline that was taken when you were originally dx? Some docs don't even do tumor markers anymore, believing they don't tell you much or have false positives. I think, and I could be wrong, but the american cancer society doesn't even list them as part of follow-up treatment on their newest guidelines.

My mother was a colon cancer survivor and at two different times her tumor markers were elevated, and both times the oncologist ordered a pet scan and ct scan and both times there was nothing out of the ordinary. It obviously was either the blood test was wrong, or some people their markers are just high, that's why I asked about the baseline.

Try to stay positive, not easy I know, and I'm sure your doc will order the blood drawn again, before going forward.

Good luck and good health.

Any update?

Thinking about you..  Horrible to be in this situation- my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Vicki Sam

• lizzie17
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Any update?

Thinking about you..  Horrible to be in this situation- my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Vicki Sam

update

Today I had a PET scan and the tech said my doctor would receive the results today or tomorrow. When my oncologist  examined me, she found 5 swollen lymph nodes in 4 different parts of my body, my previous vaginal bleeding, and my general feeling of yuck, that is why I had the scan today.

Thanks for the prayers and hugs <3

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

update

Today I had a PET scan and the tech said my doctor would receive the results today or tomorrow. When my oncologist  examined me, she found 5 swollen lymph nodes in 4 different parts of my body, my previous vaginal bleeding, and my general feeling of yuck, that is why I had the scan today.

Thanks for the prayers and hugs <3

Fingers crossed

Hoping for good results for you.

xoxo

Victoria

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Fingers crossed

Hoping for good results for you.

xoxo

Victoria

Lizzie

We are thinking about you answer keeping you close to our hearts.  Please update us when possible.

Vicki Sam

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Prayers

praying your ok.