How many of us previously had IBS? Or is it in your family?

JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

I had IBS as long as I can remember. I remember reading that it would give me a 65% chance of developing colon cancer years ago. I thought I'd be much older before that was an issue. Anyway, I'm wondering who else on here had IBS before their diagnosis.

I'm also wondering how many people had in in their family and it seems to be genetic? I was adopted but I am friends with my birth mother and it's not in her family. I have no idea about my birth father.

Jan

Comments

• GSP2
    GSP2 Member Posts: 103 Member
    no connection

Hi Jan. No connection between the two.

IBS is very common. It looks like now there is a distinction between constipation

predominant and diarrhea predominant.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20024578

• JanJan63
    GSP2 said:

no connection

Hi Jan. No connection between the two.

IBS is very common. It looks like now there is a distinction between constipation

predominant and diarrhea predominant.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20024578

Thanks for that link! I'm not

Thanks for that link! I'm not good at searching things out and I really appreciate it.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    JanJan63 said:

Thanks for that link! I'm not

Thanks for that link! I'm not good at searching things out and I really appreciate it.

No issues in my family with

No issues in my family with IBS before the CRC, hemmorrhoids maybe, definitely constipation issues after diagnosis, but that seems normal enough...................................Dave

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    IBS is like the IRS....

IBS is like the IRS....

Aside from the pain, however.....

Anything that stifles the overall ability of your immune system to function the way it should, can provide a path for cancer.

IBS is a symptom of a malfunctioning immune system. Taking garbage to stifle any symptom does not cure the problem.

Western medicine's pharmaceuticals only stifle symptoms.

Once all that is clearly understood, the correlation and interactions of pharmaceuticals to actual health problems and the lack of a true remedy can be fully appreciated.

There has been a noted higher incidence of intestinal cancer among those with long going intestinal ailments, IBS included.

Is it a "cause"? No. Cancer is only a good cell that has been damaged so bad that it cannot take instructions regarding how to stay alive. If/when the immune system fails to remove the defective cell, that cell can then begin survival by the most basic method known: the fermentation process. It uses glucose and discharges lactose as waste. The liver converts lactose into glucose. Vicious cycle. The cell lives on without limitations, since it cannot "hear" instructions to do otherwise.

Anything that limits or interferes with the immune system can offer a better chance for cancer to survive.

Good grief, that data is in every medical journal written.....

Oh well....

Be well,

John

-------------------------------

Sample Results:

The overall period prevalence of IBS was 23%, increasing from 14.7% for subjects aged 40–49 years to 43.7% for those aged 70 years and more. After controlling for age, gender and family history of colorectal cancer, screenees who had been diagnosed as having IBS exhibited a significantly elevated level (21%; adjusted hazard ratio (HR)=1.21 (95% CI: 1.02–1.42)) of incident colorectal adenoma compared with those who had not been diagnosed with IBS. A similar finding was noted for invasive carcinoma; however, the size of the effect was of borderline statistical significance (adjusted HR=1.20 (95% CI: 0.94–1.53)).

From: http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v112/n1/full/bjc2014575a.html

------------------------------

• JanJan63
    John23 said:

IBS is like the IRS....

IBS is like the IRS....

Aside from the pain, however.....

Anything that stifles the overall ability of your immune system to function the way it should, can provide a path for cancer.

IBS is a symptom of a malfunctioning immune system. Taking garbage to stifle any symptom does not cure the problem.

Western medicine's pharmaceuticals only stifle symptoms.

Once all that is clearly understood, the correlation and interactions of pharmaceuticals to actual health problems and the lack of a true remedy can be fully appreciated.

There has been a noted higher incidence of intestinal cancer among those with long going intestinal ailments, IBS included.

Is it a "cause"? No. Cancer is only a good cell that has been damaged so bad that it cannot take instructions regarding how to stay alive. If/when the immune system fails to remove the defective cell, that cell can then begin survival by the most basic method known: the fermentation process. It uses glucose and discharges lactose as waste. The liver converts lactose into glucose. Vicious cycle. The cell lives on without limitations, since it cannot "hear" instructions to do otherwise.

Anything that limits or interferes with the immune system can offer a better chance for cancer to survive.

Good grief, that data is in every medical journal written.....

Oh well....

Be well,

John

-------------------------------

Sample Results:

The overall period prevalence of IBS was 23%, increasing from 14.7% for subjects aged 40–49 years to 43.7% for those aged 70 years and more. After controlling for age, gender and family history of colorectal cancer, screenees who had been diagnosed as having IBS exhibited a significantly elevated level (21%; adjusted hazard ratio (HR)=1.21 (95% CI: 1.02–1.42)) of incident colorectal adenoma compared with those who had not been diagnosed with IBS. A similar finding was noted for invasive carcinoma; however, the size of the effect was of borderline statistical significance (adjusted HR=1.20 (95% CI: 0.94–1.53)).

From: http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v112/n1/full/bjc2014575a.html

------------------------------

Thanks John. It's funny that

Thanks John. It's funny that I never thought about this before but I am positive for lupus and have had it for about 8 years that I know of. It's never really flared up but it may well be affecting my immune system. Although I'm rarely sick so I figured I have a good one.

• John23
    JanJan63 said:

Thanks John. It's funny that

Thanks John. It's funny that I never thought about this before but I am positive for lupus and have had it for about 8 years that I know of. It's never really flared up but it may well be affecting my immune system. Although I'm rarely sick so I figured I have a good one.

Immune systems...

Immune systems...

Pretty complex stuff. The entire immune system is built in the digestive tract and is what/where it sustains the balance.

I always thought it was just the balance of good/bad bacteria that was important, but have recently read that enzymes are as, or more important.

And now they're finding that there are many things that can cause the death of enzymes, with the processing of food at the top of the list. The addition of chemicals and preservatives, the genetic engineering, the irradiation, and even cooking with microwaves have recently become suspect to the damage the medical industry is seeing. Some enzymes cannot be replaced or rebuilt, leaving us in an uncertain amount of peril...... Not that we need to worry, ehh?

We have to keep in mind what causes cancer.... and it's simply that our immune system, for whatever reason, fails to remove a damaged cell when it should be removing it. Our body produces damaged cells all the time as part of the growing and healing process, so worrying too much about external causes is borderline silly. Once a badly damaged cell begins life again via the fermentation process because our immune system failed to remove it, it's called "cancer".

After taking "Z-Pac" (antibiotic) for the pneumonia I never had, my entire immune system went haywire. Allergies I never had before, bacterial overgrowth both surface and in my blood, and then the reappearance of cancer in the lousy foot of colon they left in and stapled shut. From 2006 until 2015, no signs of cancer. Now.... an expiration date.

A healthy immune system is important. Lupus, IBS, Colitis, etc are all symptoms of a malfunctioning immune system. Taking drugs to quell the symptoms isn't the answer.

There are other ways to stay healthy. There is a health science that actually cures many problems (TCM).

Think wellness; be well.

John

• MS2014
    MS2014 Member Posts: 58
    IBS lead to colon cancer

In our case IBS lead to colon cancer.

As far as I know if yuo have an IBS colonoscopy and close follow ups must be done to prevent to get a colon cancer from an IBS.

BR

• John23
    MS2014 said:

IBS lead to colon cancer

In our case IBS lead to colon cancer.

As far as I know if yuo have an IBS colonoscopy and close follow ups must be done to prevent to get a colon cancer from an IBS.

BR

IBS, ABC, NBC, ESP

IBS, ABC, NBC, ESP

Actually, IBS is a symptom of a malfunctioning immune system, not an actual "cause" of anything, since "symptoms" do not and never have been the cause of problem, it's the other way around!

The studies indicate that anyone suffering from an immune deficiency is more susceptible to cancer growth than one without an immune deficiency. It's the reason they take a patient off "chemo" (or radiation) if there's an infection, bacterial or viral, since the immune system is weakened by the harsh chemicals and cannot do battle against such an invasion. A patient can have an almost impossible job of healing from surgery if therapy is started before the patient has healed enough.

By the way, welcome to the board! Well..... wish you didn't have a reason to be here; cancer isn't anything anyone wishes on anyone else. But if you need support, this is the place!

John

• MS2014
    MS2014 Member Posts: 58
    John23 said:

IBS, ABC, NBC, ESP

IBS, ABC, NBC, ESP

Actually, IBS is a symptom of a malfunctioning immune system, not an actual "cause" of anything, since "symptoms" do not and never have been the cause of problem, it's the other way around!

The studies indicate that anyone suffering from an immune deficiency is more susceptible to cancer growth than one without an immune deficiency. It's the reason they take a patient off "chemo" (or radiation) if there's an infection, bacterial or viral, since the immune system is weakened by the harsh chemicals and cannot do battle against such an invasion. A patient can have an almost impossible job of healing from surgery if therapy is started before the patient has healed enough.

By the way, welcome to the board! Well..... wish you didn't have a reason to be here; cancer isn't anything anyone wishes on anyone else. But if you need support, this is the place!

John

IBS

Hi John

Thanks for the warm welcome. Hope I can help some people here and get some answers

The fact is IBS can lead to polyps, inflamation ulceras.. and polyps, inflamation ulceras.. can lead to colon cancer. Unfortunately there is a link. We were told that many years ago by our doctor and now our onchologyst has confirmed it.

All the best

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi Jan

I have had IBS most of my life , my brother has had scopes for ulcerative colitis and proctitis for over 40 years. I currently suffer from auto-immune disease of the kidneys ,liver, lungs ,endocrine system and psoriatic arthritis and I still have IBS. I also have a long history of duodenal and peptic ulcers and bile salt malabsorption (since gall bladder surgery over ten years ago) Ron.

• GSP2
    GSP2 Member Posts: 103 Member
    ron50 said:

Hi Jan

I have had IBS most of my life , my brother has had scopes for ulcerative colitis and proctitis for over 40 years. I currently suffer from auto-immune disease of the kidneys ,liver, lungs ,endocrine system and psoriatic arthritis and I still have IBS. I also have a long history of duodenal and peptic ulcers and bile salt malabsorption (since gall bladder surgery over ten years ago) Ron.

From the American cancer society website

A personal history of inflammatory bowel disease

If you have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), including either ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease, your risk of colorectal cancer is increased. 

IBD is a condition in which the colon is inflamed over a long period of time. People who have had IBD for many years often develop dysplasia. Dysplasia is a term used to describe cells in the lining of the colon or rectum that look abnormal (but not like true cancer cells) when seen with a microscope. These cells can change into cancer over time.

If you have IBD, you may need to start being screened for colorectal cancer when you are younger and be screened more frequently. 

Inflammatory bowel disease is different from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), which does not increase your risk for colorectal cancer.

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    GSP2 said:

From the American cancer society website

A personal history of inflammatory bowel disease

If you have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), including either ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease, your risk of colorectal cancer is increased. 

IBD is a condition in which the colon is inflamed over a long period of time. People who have had IBD for many years often develop dysplasia. Dysplasia is a term used to describe cells in the lining of the colon or rectum that look abnormal (but not like true cancer cells) when seen with a microscope. These cells can change into cancer over time.

If you have IBD, you may need to start being screened for colorectal cancer when you are younger and be screened more frequently. 

Inflammatory bowel disease is different from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), which does not increase your risk for colorectal cancer.

Quite possibly so

But I have found that in Australia it seems to be the habit of GP's to follow the path of least resistence. More often than not with GI problems it is easier to call it IBS than to go the extra yards to confirm IBD. My brother was lucky that the first scope he had confirmed ulcerative collitis and a follow up endoscopy fond Barrets oesophagitis. On the other hand my first scope which I had to fight tooth and nail for confirmed stage 3 c colon cancer into six nodes. In the 18 + years since then I have had 10 scopes half of which showed polyps some of which at only 2mm showed displaysia. I have also had several endoscopies which have produced results such as peptic ulcrs, doudenal ulcers, ulcerative duodenitis and once stomach cancer which was later downgraded to severe ulceration. Despite all of that my diagnoses remains IBS. It seems to be a matter of perception. ron.