Radiation ... Confusion and scared

I was reading another post and now I have all of these questions about radiation. I am supposed to receive 5 treatments. It is supposed to be a vagnial cuff for the endometrial cancer which is a stage 2. Now I am reading that radiation can destroy bone marrow.  I was already in the hosptial for nuetripinic fever once before they put me on the neulestra. So my questions are: is this treatment an option ? Does it burn? I know it will be destroying healthy cells bit how much damage does it really do? What are the side effect ? What is the vagnial cuff? Does that hurt ? 

Sorry I have all of these questions but I know that if I ask a Dr they are of course going to say of course you need the treatment and no no it doesn't hurt. I want the truth hence me turning to everyone here.. 

Comments

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Hi

1st. Everyone is different and one person's reaction can be very different from the next.  I had 28 external radiation treatments and 2 of the brachytherapy.  I had no pain with either.  At the time of treatment I had diarrhea with the external but a bland diet and Imodium got me through it.  I had no problems with the brachy.  The external did effect the bone marrow in my pelvis.  Now chemo brings down my blood counts very quickly.  Hugs and prayer.  Lou Ann

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    I agree with Lou Ann that

I agree with Lou Ann that everyone is different.  

I have never heard anyone say radiation hurts while it is being given.  The concern is radiation burns on your skin and diahrea.  I would suggest you take probiotics for your digestive track.  I was provided a study of 400 cervical cancer patients, half who were given probiotics and half that were not.  The half that did not take probiotics had a high percentage of women hospitalized with dehydration from diahrea.  The other half who took probiotics had no hospitalization and a low number of 'loose stools".  Brachytherapy does require the use of dialators afterwards and it just becomes part of your new normal.  

You always have the right of refusal for any treatment.  My thought was doing everything I could to beat this beast in to oblivion, and I am happy with my decision.  You have to do what you think is best for you.  

• Us0417
    Us0417 Member Posts: 9
    Lou Ann M said:

Hi

1st. Everyone is different and one person's reaction can be very different from the next.  I had 28 external radiation treatments and 2 of the brachytherapy.  I had no pain with either.  At the time of treatment I had diarrhea with the external but a bland diet and Imodium got me through it.  I had no problems with the brachy.  The external did effect the bone marrow in my pelvis.  Now chemo brings down my blood counts very quickly.  Hugs and prayer.  Lou Ann

Thank you

Thank you for all of your advice. I guess this is something I am really going to have to consider and think about. Jen 

• Us0417
    Us0417 Member Posts: 9

I agree with Lou Ann that

I agree with Lou Ann that everyone is different.  

I have never heard anyone say radiation hurts while it is being given.  The concern is radiation burns on your skin and diahrea.  I would suggest you take probiotics for your digestive track.  I was provided a study of 400 cervical cancer patients, half who were given probiotics and half that were not.  The half that did not take probiotics had a high percentage of women hospitalized with dehydration from diahrea.  The other half who took probiotics had no hospitalization and a low number of 'loose stools".  Brachytherapy does require the use of dialators afterwards and it just becomes part of your new normal.  

You always have the right of refusal for any treatment.  My thought was doing everything I could to beat this beast in to oblivion, and I am happy with my decision.  You have to do what you think is best for you.  

Thank you

Thank you for your advice. This is something I am going to have to look into more. The probiotics I have heard of and something I will be looking into.  The last thing I need is more hospital time.  Thanks again.  Jen 

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Jen, I'm going to assume the

Jen, I'm going to assume the radiation you are scheduled to receive is Brachy Therapy and not external since you said 5 treatments. If I am correct, I can tell you that I finished the same amount the end of January.

I had zero pain from this procedure. And, really no side effects except some tiredness. I am currently doing the dialators every day for two weeks and I'm a bit sore from that but not truly painful. This is needed to stretch the vagina and keep the scar tissue from forming. Very important so that the doctors can do exams.  There is a thread called 'Let's talk about radiation'. It has loads of information from ladies posting their experiences.

The vaginal cuff is the surgery line after they remove all of our lady parts. They say this is the first place a recurrence is the most likely and why they want to use radiation there.

Please ask any and all questions! We are all here to help each other.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    I had 5 weeks of external

I had 5 weeks of external radiation and 3 brachytherapy. No pain while getting external, but wish I had started probiotics earlier. I had some constipation as well as a little diarea. Brachytherapy was different for me. Many women said they used lidocaine before and so no pain, but I didn't know about that and my doctor didn't use it or suggest it, so I did have a lot of pain with the insertion. Remember all people are different. I had not been having sex for quite sometime so that might have been part of the problem. I will start using the dialaters next week.

Also, I didn't question having radiation myself because I just wanted to do everything I could to survive.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Soup52 said:

I had 5 weeks of external

I had 5 weeks of external radiation and 3 brachytherapy. No pain while getting external, but wish I had started probiotics earlier. I had some constipation as well as a little diarea. Brachytherapy was different for me. Many women said they used lidocaine before and so no pain, but I didn't know about that and my doctor didn't use it or suggest it, so I did have a lot of pain with the insertion. Remember all people are different. I had not been having sex for quite sometime so that might have been part of the problem. I will start using the dialaters next week.

Also, I didn't question having radiation myself because I just wanted to do everything I could to survive.

Soup

That is a great point! My doctor DID use the lidocaine on me.  If it isn't offered, I would ask for it.

Also, make sure you use a lot of the lubricant on your dialator. AND, after the 5th time I did get sore so I am now using the cool cones. They do help.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member

Jen, I'm going to assume the

Jen, I'm going to assume the radiation you are scheduled to receive is Brachy Therapy and not external since you said 5 treatments. If I am correct, I can tell you that I finished the same amount the end of January.

I had zero pain from this procedure. And, really no side effects except some tiredness. I am currently doing the dialators every day for two weeks and I'm a bit sore from that but not truly painful. This is needed to stretch the vagina and keep the scar tissue from forming. Very important so that the doctors can do exams.  There is a thread called 'Let's talk about radiation'. It has loads of information from ladies posting their experiences.

The vaginal cuff is the surgery line after they remove all of our lady parts. They say this is the first place a recurrence is the most likely and why they want to use radiation there.

Please ask any and all questions! We are all here to help each other.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Cindi, how soon I forgot!

Cindi, how soon I forgot!  The fatigue really was like nothing I had experienced before.  I remember sitting at my desk thinking "how am I going to move?"  Wow!  Also, please keep in mind that radiation can continue to work for up to 6 weeks after the last treatment.

Give in to the exhaustion and sleep.  Sleep is very restorative.  

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Just finished 3 brachytherapy sessions

They were uncomfortable but did not hurt.  I think the initial "fitting" was the most uncomfortable My doctor also used lidocaine before insertion which I'm sure helped immensely.  I detailed my experience quite recently over on the "Let's Talk About Radiation" thread.  And yes, know that the use of dilators or sex 3 times a week will be necessary afterwards to help prevent stenosis of the vagina.

The vaginal cuff was created by your surgeon when he did the hysterectomy.  Basically, it's the new top of your vagina, something like the end of a sock.  It is a prime area for recurrence which is why it is often treated with radiation as part of frontline therapy.

Any treatment is optional and you always have the right to refuse.  I would check the NCCI's current guidelines and do your own research before making a final decision.

Chris

• daylady
    daylady Member Posts: 122
    Radiation - don't be scared...

Jen, Vaginal Brachytheraphy is only scary becuse it is unknown.  I had VB following major surgery and chemo for endometrial cancer as well.  It is not painful, and I had zero side effects going through it, and since.  I insisted on meeting with my radiologist ahead of time, and was very diligent about checking their credentials.  He was incredibly wonderful about putting my mind at ease, to the point that when he had to go out on family leave just prior to my first appt, I opted to wait for his return rather than be switched to someone else.  My surgeon has done several pelvics since then and says I have no significant scarring and everything looks good in there.  I used a dilator diligently at first but now only have to use it once every couple weeks to keep things open.  Don't worry.  You will be fine.  Good luck, and warm hugs, - Helen