Talcum Powder and USPC connection?

flyerette65
flyerette65 Member Posts: 65
edited February 2016 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Hi all,

I haven't been on the boards for awhile but I wanted to raise the topic of there possibly being a connection between talcum powder use and UPSC. I have used talcum powder (aka Johnson's Baby Powder) for as long as I can remember. When I was an infant, toddler and young child my mother used it on me as well. When I was diagnosed with UPSC back in 2011, my gynecological oncologist told me I had no risk factors and that my chances of getting this type of cancer were about as remote as me being struck by lightning. How many of you with UPSC also used talcum powder? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• No

I, of course, used it sparingly on my baby, but not much on myself.  This is actually fairly old news, because I had heard about talc powder connection years before.  Hugs Nancy

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    J&J finally pay up

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/24/news/companies/cancer-johnson-and-johnson-talcum-powder/

First case where J&J had to pay out for ovarian cancer - $72 MILLION!!!  They apparently knew since the 1980s it could cause ovarian cancer.

Love,

Eldri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member

J&J finally pay up

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/24/news/companies/cancer-johnson-and-johnson-talcum-powder/

First case where J&J had to pay out for ovarian cancer - $72 MILLION!!!  They apparently knew since the 1980s it could cause ovarian cancer.

Love,

Eldri

I used it

For years...

And, I'm surprised we haven't seen more ads from attorneys for a class action call...

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    Never used the stuff myself.

We are not talking about sprinkling talcum powder on your arms or in your hair. No, this is about putting talcum powder on your private parts.  The link below talks about that and another point I thought interesing about irregular bleeding. 

http://www.everydayhealth.com/womens-health-pictures/9-surprising-vaginal-health-mistakes.aspx#01

• debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095 Member
    Mother put it on me since I

Mother put it on me since I was an infant, 1951, and used Shower to Shower since  the mid 60's.  I also did not fit the "typical" UPSC person, did not have the BRACA gene mutation, nor any other risk factor for this type of "misplaced ovarian" cancer. Debra

• flyerette65
    unknown said:

No

I, of course, used it sparingly on my baby, but not much on myself.  This is actually fairly old news, because I had heard about talc powder connection years before.  Hugs Nancy

UPSC and talc connection

Nancy,

I had heard this many years ago myself and quit using it, "there" but I suppose the damage was all ready done.

Barb

• flyerette65

I used it

For years...

And, I'm surprised we haven't seen more ads from attorneys for a class action call...

I used it

TeddyandBears_Mom;

I actually called an law firm that was advertising on the internet. I was told that, for now, they were only accepting those with ovarian cancer in the class action lawsuit but that they would keep my name and contact information on file in case they decided to "broaden" the suit. I suspect those of us with UPSC and other types of female cancer will be included at some point in the future.

Barb

• flyerette65

We are not talking about sprinkling talcum powder on your arms or in your hair. No, this is about putting talcum powder on your private parts.  The link below talks about that and another point I thought interesing about irregular bleeding. 

http://www.everydayhealth.com/womens-health-pictures/9-surprising-vaginal-health-mistakes.aspx#01

Never used the stuff myself

Great article! Thanks for posting the link.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member

I used it

TeddyandBears_Mom;

I actually called an law firm that was advertising on the internet. I was told that, for now, they were only accepting those with ovarian cancer in the class action lawsuit but that they would keep my name and contact information on file in case they decided to "broaden" the suit. I suspect those of us with UPSC and other types of female cancer will be included at some point in the future.

Barb

Thanks Flyerette65! We are at

Thanks Flyerette65! We are at the bottom of the food chain. :-)