colonoscopy

corey50
corey50 Member Posts: 111

Hi Everybody,

I'm having a colonoscopy soon and I was wondering if anybody does anything different with their prep since their cancer dx.

I had a radical nephrectomy 7 years ago. I have had colonoscopies before, so I know what to expect, but was just wondering about all the fluids during the prep with only the one kidney.

Thanks for any input.

Corey

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Same old licquid plumber

Corey, 

I have had about 3 since I was nephed a lucky 13 1/2 years ago. Tell your gastro doctor as part of your history and discus these concerns with him as I did.

Icemantoo

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    icemantoo said:

Same old licquid plumber

Corey, 

I have had about 3 since I was nephed a lucky 13 1/2 years ago. Tell your gastro doctor as part of your history and discus these concerns with him as I did.

Icemantoo

I've had two since but mine

I've had two since but mine was partial only so the prep was same as before. Some preps are kinder on the kidney than others so yes, definitely discuss it with your doctor.

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    APny said:

I've had two since but mine

I've had two since but mine was partial only so the prep was same as before. Some preps are kinder on the kidney than others so yes, definitely discuss it with your doctor.

Wouldn't

your regular ct scans of chest, ab, and pelvis show if there was a growth in your GI tract? I should know this.

• APny
    foxhd said:

Wouldn't

your regular ct scans of chest, ab, and pelvis show if there was a growth in your GI tract? I should know this.

Yes, supposedly virtual

Yes, supposedly virtual colonoscopies with CT scans would show them but you have to go through the same fasting and cleansing protocol as for a real one. And if it finds something it can't remove it so you have to go through the same cleansing routine and fasting routine so it can be removed and biopsied. To me the the worst part is the prep; the colonoscopy is a breeze.

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    APny said:

Yes, supposedly virtual

Yes, supposedly virtual colonoscopies with CT scans would show them but you have to go through the same fasting and cleansing protocol as for a real one. And if it finds something it can't remove it so you have to go through the same cleansing routine and fasting routine so it can be removed and biopsied. To me the the worst part is the prep; the colonoscopy is a breeze.

Install a seatbelt on your toilet....hahaha

I had a partial so my preps are the same as before but definitely mention your history.  I agree, the prep is the worst.

Blast off!

Donna~

• Scottie22
    Scottie22 Member Posts: 99 Member
    Different prep

I consulted with my nephrologist who advised a 'kinder' prep. as i have only one kidney.  It involved slight dietary changes 48 hours before and Miralax and plenty of hydration.  Still unpleasant but not as rough on my kidney. Actual procedure a piece of cake.

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    Scottie22 said:

Different prep

I consulted with my nephrologist who advised a 'kinder' prep. as i have only one kidney.  It involved slight dietary changes 48 hours before and Miralax and plenty of hydration.  Still unpleasant but not as rough on my kidney. Actual procedure a piece of cake.

Yeah...the prep left me

kind of pooped out. Scottie is correct, although there was no real attemp at kindness to the remaining kidney.  I had the double whammy in early 2014, as my CT for my cancer check found polyps in my stomach. (and a small ulcer and GERD problems)  Omeprazol and weight loss took care of both those problems.  My PC planned for both while I was under anesthesia in day surgery and took care of those with the endoscopy- 3 polyps removed.  The colonoscopy also found 2 polyps. That was 2 years ago, all were benign, so I'm good to go for a few more years.

After your brief post surgery recovery, go home and sleep off the anesthesia, and keep on turckin'.

Good wishes and good results to you.

donna_lee

• corey50
    corey50 Member Posts: 111
    donna_lee said:

Yeah...the prep left me

kind of pooped out. Scottie is correct, although there was no real attemp at kindness to the remaining kidney.  I had the double whammy in early 2014, as my CT for my cancer check found polyps in my stomach. (and a small ulcer and GERD problems)  Omeprazol and weight loss took care of both those problems.  My PC planned for both while I was under anesthesia in day surgery and took care of those with the endoscopy- 3 polyps removed.  The colonoscopy also found 2 polyps. That was 2 years ago, all were benign, so I'm good to go for a few more years.

After your brief post surgery recovery, go home and sleep off the anesthesia, and keep on turckin'.

Good wishes and good results to you.

donna_lee

All cleaned out and good to go

for three more years. LOL. Hi all, I had my colonscopy on Friday and all went well. No polyps were found this time. I was very excited about that. Three polyps were found and removed on my last colonoscopy in 2013 and even though they were all benign, my oncologist and gastro decided (with my prodding) that it was a good idea not to wait for 5 years. Also, my mom was a 2x colon cancer survivor, so with that history and my cancer history, my gastro suggested I re-do in 3 years again even though this time it was all clean. So, I'll discuss it with onco when I see him next. For now, just happy that's over and no polyps.

As far as the prep, I checked with the gastro's office and as long as my kidney function was good, which it was, I could do the usual prep. Of course, I told everyone who even touched me that day that I had one kidney and the dr knew too and mentioned it right before I drifted off to lala land. 

So anybody going in for a colonscopy in the future, make sure you're kidney function has been tested. And as others have said, the prep is the worst part. (for the record Crystal Light is the way to go) The day of is a breeze. And you get to go home and sleep and not do anything for the rest of the day. I took a 3 hour nap. LOL

Thanks everybody for all the helpful responses. Great day here in New England. 

• APny
    corey50 said:

All cleaned out and good to go

for three more years. LOL. Hi all, I had my colonscopy on Friday and all went well. No polyps were found this time. I was very excited about that. Three polyps were found and removed on my last colonoscopy in 2013 and even though they were all benign, my oncologist and gastro decided (with my prodding) that it was a good idea not to wait for 5 years. Also, my mom was a 2x colon cancer survivor, so with that history and my cancer history, my gastro suggested I re-do in 3 years again even though this time it was all clean. So, I'll discuss it with onco when I see him next. For now, just happy that's over and no polyps.

As far as the prep, I checked with the gastro's office and as long as my kidney function was good, which it was, I could do the usual prep. Of course, I told everyone who even touched me that day that I had one kidney and the dr knew too and mentioned it right before I drifted off to lala land. 

So anybody going in for a colonscopy in the future, make sure you're kidney function has been tested. And as others have said, the prep is the worst part. (for the record Crystal Light is the way to go) The day of is a breeze. And you get to go home and sleep and not do anything for the rest of the day. I took a 3 hour nap. LOL

Thanks everybody for all the helpful responses. Great day here in New England. 

Glad to hear all went well

Glad to hear all went well and no polyps. Now you can forget about colonoscopies for at least 3 more years :)

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    hardo718 said:

Install a seatbelt on your toilet....hahaha

I had a partial so my preps are the same as before but definitely mention your history.  I agree, the prep is the worst.

Blast off!

Donna~

Toilette?

Buy soft lotioned bathroom tissue

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    APny said:

Glad to hear all went well

Glad to hear all went well and no polyps. Now you can forget about colonoscopies for at least 3 more years :)

Polyp

Would be an excellent name for a dog, or perhaps a goldfish.