Dosing for Metformin?

A few weeks ago I did some research on Metformin and one of the articles discussed how Metformin for cancer was dosed differently than it was for insulin resistance.  I was wondering if anyone taking Metformin for cancer would be comfortable in sharing their daily dosage? Thanks much ~

Comments

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    I take Metformin for T2

I take Metformin for T2 diabetes and it's the same recommended dosage for cancer ­500 mg two to four times a day. I take two 500 mg extended release tablets every morning.

Love,

Eldri

• takingcontrol58
    takingcontrol58 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Dosing for Metformin - insulin resistance

I had insulin resistance when I was diagnosed with metastatic endo cancer.  I had two infusions of Taxol/Carbo then
    started the real drug.  ( was enrolled in a trial where I may have been getting the placebo-I withdrew from the trial when
    I started taking the real drug). Couldn't risk getting a placebo.

Dosage was initially 500mg (one pill am, one pill in PM).  I think they start with a lower dose to make sure you can tolerate.
    I had tremendous success at this dosage for 3 months.

After the remaining four chemo infusions, doctor raised dose to 750MG (one pill in AM, one in PM). I am still on this dosage.
    I have been on metformin for one year now and haven't had any recurrences. I believe this drug has prevented recurrences
    because it kills cancer stem cells.

Takingcontrol58

• Gardena
    Gardena Member Posts: 102

I take Metformin for T2

I take Metformin for T2 diabetes and it's the same recommended dosage for cancer ­500 mg two to four times a day. I take two 500 mg extended release tablets every morning.

Love,

Eldri

Thanks Eldri

I appreciate you sharing~   (btw, aren't you supposed to be on a trip!? :-)

• Gardena
    Gardena Member Posts: 102

Dosing for Metformin - insulin resistance

I had insulin resistance when I was diagnosed with metastatic endo cancer.  I had two infusions of Taxol/Carbo then
    started the real drug.  ( was enrolled in a trial where I may have been getting the placebo-I withdrew from the trial when
    I started taking the real drug). Couldn't risk getting a placebo.

Dosage was initially 500mg (one pill am, one pill in PM).  I think they start with a lower dose to make sure you can tolerate.
    I had tremendous success at this dosage for 3 months.

After the remaining four chemo infusions, doctor raised dose to 750MG (one pill in AM, one in PM). I am still on this dosage.
    I have been on metformin for one year now and haven't had any recurrences. I believe this drug has prevented recurrences
    because it kills cancer stem cells.

Takingcontrol58

Thanks Takingcontrol58

I'm happy for you, being NED for a year is awesome! Thanks for sharing~