Options
2»

Comments

• SQLNOLE
    SQLNOLE Member Posts: 25
    Options
    wmc said:

I only had surgery

I only had surgery and no chemo or radition. Mine was a tumor in the supraglottic just above my vocal cords. They removed my larynx and 86 lymph glands, 48 on the left and 38 on the right. I was checked every two months the first year and now every 6 months. 29 months and I have never been CT or PET after surgery. No need as they got it all, and them some.

I have read and heard very good things about robotic surgery.

Bill

Thanks Gents
    I appreciate the feedback.

I will let you know what I find out on Thursday....
  • Loveandbelieve
    Loveandbelieve Member Posts: 3
    Options
    SQLNOLE said:

Doc visit today

My wife and I met with the head and neck cancer doc today. He was able to find the primary tumor, which is at the junction of my left tongue base and tonsil. He discussed the various options and we are leaning towards transoral robotic surgery plus removing 8 or 10 lymph nodes down left side of neck to test for spread. Only the big one has been tested thus far via FNA. He said that if the safety margin showed no extra capsular spread and the other lymph nodes didn't either, then we would not need rad or Chem, just monitoring going forward. Does this ring true to you guys? We go to see robotic surgeon on Thursday and scheduling second opinion then also.

Has anyone had robotic surgery at junction of tongue and tonsil?

Hi bill
    i was also scheduled

Hi bill

i was also scheduled for robotic surgery and a tongue transplant and neck dissection for a tongue base tumor and 76 lymphnodes both side of neck BUT they ended not having to use the robot.  my surgeon said they were able to reach the tumor through my mouth And get the tumor, and no need for  the transplant.  i  woke up to my surgeons smiling face And my family telling me how great it went.  

I'm sure you are struggling with all the information and decisions.  I can just tell you I had decided to leave it up to my surgeon.  If he needed the robot go ahead and use it and if he didn't dont Just get it out.  I begged him to do all he could to not break my jaw to get to it and the robot was my best option for that.  I heard a lot of positive feedback about the robot option and that its less invasive.  

Good luck and know you will get through this.  I didn't believe it but it's true.

• Loveandbelieve
    Loveandbelieve Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

think so

Others speak of davinci robotic surgeries in that general area.

As for the C&R: yes, that sounds logical. First, you have to heal from the Op. As they monitor it, if something shows then that'll bring at least the rads into play. Doing rads as only a saftey play can be a negative, as rads to the same place a second time is a risky business. Sounds to me like your Dr has a good plan in place for you.

kcass

Wish I knew

hi

im curious, what do you mean regarding the negative to safety?  I had surgery followed by 30 radiation treatments.  The panel was split, half recommended and half didn't think i needed radiation. They left the decision to me. Ignorant me felt it was better safe than sorry and better do the radiation to be safe.  i made an emotional decision based on life over thinking through the side effects.  are you saying theres a risk if I get a reoccurrence and would not be eligible for further radiation?  

Interested in your opinion

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    SQLNOLE said:

kcass

I live in Charlotte. The ENT ordered a CT scan from my eyes to the the top of my lungs, which showed the extent of the enlargement of my one lymph node. Then he did a FNA of the node which showed two markers for SCC. The nurse navigator works for the hospital and she helps to keep the process going and to make sure that all of the bases are covered.

The surgeon is Yale undergrad and Harvard Medical School, so he is top shelf.

I don't know the stage yet, but from what I have read it is III or IV, since there is already nodal involvement.

Also, I am sure that I will headed for a PET scan in short order after Monday....