My first chemo

Options
Soup52
Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member

I had my first chemo on Monday which was Taxol and Carboplatin. I was fine that day and the next. After those days my primary problem was my knees hurt terribly making it very difficult to sleep. Is this what everyone refers to as bone pain? I finally took Tylenol Pm last night and got a little sleep. I've also tried icing my knees which is some comfort. Do any of the rest of you have any ideas? Will this be going on throughout chemo? If I feel good enough tomorrow or the next day we will take a trip to Gulf Shores. We live in central Illinois so we will take it slow with a two day trip. I hope I'm not foolish to try this, but everyone says this will be the best time to go as chemo gets harder each time as far as after effects. 

Comments

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I had Taxotere and

I had Taxotere and Carboplatin but no bone pain until I got the Neulasta shot after my second chemo.  After the first infusion on a Tuesday, I started feeling sick on Saturday and it lasted until Monday.  After the second chemo on a Tuesday I was sick from Friday until the next Wednesday.  After the third one on a Tuesday I was sick from Thursday....I'm still not 100% and that was almost 11 weeks ago.  No more chemo for me after the third one.

I hope you can make it to Gulf Shores!!  Sunshine and warmth heal the body and the spirit!

Love,

Eldri

• Soup52
    Options

I had Taxotere and

I had Taxotere and Carboplatin but no bone pain until I got the Neulasta shot after my second chemo.  After the first infusion on a Tuesday, I started feeling sick on Saturday and it lasted until Monday.  After the second chemo on a Tuesday I was sick from Friday until the next Wednesday.  After the third one on a Tuesday I was sick from Thursday....I'm still not 100% and that was almost 11 weeks ago.  No more chemo for me after the third one.

I hope you can make it to Gulf Shores!!  Sunshine and warmth heal the body and the spirit!

Love,

Eldri

Thanks for the info Eldri.

Thanks for the info Eldri. Chemo seems even worse than I imagine. I know I haven't had it that bad yet, but knowing it gets worse doesn't exactly encourage me. I am trying to remain positive though because what else can I do.

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bone pain

knees can be part of it.. Most of my pain was in my large bones, my pelvis, hips, legs and my joints.  It usually lasted a few days.  No appitite and digestive problems can set in. And fatgue can be rather miserable for a little while.  I hope you feel good enough to make your trip.  Hugsand prayers, Lou Ann

• Soup52
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

Bone pain

knees can be part of it.. Most of my pain was in my large bones, my pelvis, hips, legs and my joints.  It usually lasted a few days.  No appitite and digestive problems can set in. And fatgue can be rather miserable for a little while.  I hope you feel good enough to make your trip.  Hugsand prayers, Lou Ann

Thanks Lou Ann. Yes I've had

Thanks Lou Ann. Yes I've had a little hip pain, too and my appetite is coming back, so I am hopeful. Tired yes I am, but I feel like I might be able to leave tomorrow. My husband is very patient with the whole thing thank God. He just wants the trip for me, but says if I don't feel up to it then that's ok too.

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Claritin

Some women, including me, took Claritin to help with that.  I started the day before chemo and continued for 3 days after.  The only time I had any slight joint pain was the one time I forgot to take the Claritin a few days after chemo.  It doesn't work for everyone, but it seemed to help me.

If you feel up to it, definitely go to the Gulf Shores.  I did a couple of overnights as well as day trips during chemo, and it really helped my mental/emotional outlook.

Chris

• Hi soup

My first chemo was actually my best for less side effects, so if you can, go to the Gulf shores now.  I  had what I guess I term muscle nerve pain first, electric shooting pain in my legs, thighs and feet, in the muscles.  The bone pain also, but it seemed to be where I had/have damage, like knee arthritis and hip osteopenia.  There's not a lot I can do for it, I know many others get relief from ibuprofen, but I didn't find it helpful.  Mostly heat, and just waiting it out.  I had my 4th chemo at a lower dose now on Monday.  Nerve pain is the same as with the full dose, so I guess I'm just stuck with highly irritable nerves!  I'm home today, also yesterday, but am slowly getting better.  I have a ticket for Flashdance at our live theater tomorrow night, hoping I can sit still long enough to enjoy it.  Hugs Nancy

• Soup52
    Options
    unknown said:

Hi soup

My first chemo was actually my best for less side effects, so if you can, go to the Gulf shores now.  I  had what I guess I term muscle nerve pain first, electric shooting pain in my legs, thighs and feet, in the muscles.  The bone pain also, but it seemed to be where I had/have damage, like knee arthritis and hip osteopenia.  There's not a lot I can do for it, I know many others get relief from ibuprofen, but I didn't find it helpful.  Mostly heat, and just waiting it out.  I had my 4th chemo at a lower dose now on Monday.  Nerve pain is the same as with the full dose, so I guess I'm just stuck with highly irritable nerves!  I'm home today, also yesterday, but am slowly getting better.  I have a ticket for Flashdance at our live theater tomorrow night, hoping I can sit still long enough to enjoy it.  Hugs Nancy

Yes I do have arthritis in my

Yes I do have arthritis in my knees so I guess this makes sense and also osteopenia in my left hip. It seems better today, so I hope that I can take the trip. We will stop often on the way.

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Soup52 said:

Yes I do have arthritis in my

Yes I do have arthritis in my knees so I guess this makes sense and also osteopenia in my left hip. It seems better today, so I hope that I can take the trip. We will stop often on the way.

Enjoy yourself!

Go on your trip and enjoy yourself, Soup! Come what may, we have to live for today!

• cindy0519
    cindy0519 Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Clarting will help

Ask your oncologist about adding Claratin.  I had a lot of bone pain in my hips, legs, and knees.  Nothing include Percoset seemed to help to provide much relief.  On my third cycle the oncologist said to start taking Claratin (regular 10MG).  It has helped me a lot! 

Hope you get to take the trip. It will do you good but take it slow and easy!

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Hi soup

I hope you can make the

I hope you can make the Flashdance too!!  It seems like anything fun even if it's just going to a short ride, makes this "journey" a little more bearable!!!

Love,

Eldri

• Soup52
    Options
    cindy0519 said:

Clarting will help

Ask your oncologist about adding Claratin.  I had a lot of bone pain in my hips, legs, and knees.  Nothing include Percoset seemed to help to provide much relief.  On my third cycle the oncologist said to start taking Claratin (regular 10MG).  It has helped me a lot! 

Hope you get to take the trip. It will do you good but take it slow and easy!

Thanks everyone for the great

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will definitely try Claritin. I do take Zertek D pretty often and wonder if it would work the same way. And I am basically packed, so the trip is on

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Soup52 said:

Thanks everyone for the great

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will definitely try Claritin. I do take Zertek D pretty often and wonder if it would work the same way. And I am basically packed, so the trip is on

Soup - Have a GREAT TIME!

Soup - Have a GREAT TIME! Don't forget to rest though.

I'm glad you feel good enough to go.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Red Corvette
    Red Corvette Member Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Soup - Have a GREAT TIME!

Soup - Have a GREAT TIME! Don't forget to rest though.

I'm glad you feel good enough to go.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

My wife after 1st chemo 2

My wife after 1st chemo 2 weeks ago had pretty strong thigh and knee pain starting on days 4 and 5 which is now almost gone. Percocet (oxycodone) ended up working great for her for the bad days. 2nd chemo is next Wednesday so will see how this one goes. Fingers and toes crossed 2nd goes as well as the first. Have a great trip Soup!

Red