Power Port Catheter

I have a power port question. Does your port catheter bulge out in the area where it's inserted in the vein when you lie on your back and then flatten back out when you sit or stand up? Not the port itself, that always bulges - this is about the catheter.

I awoke this morning with a twinging pain in that area. When I put my hand up to it, it was bulging out and I totally panicked! I had never noticed or felt that before. I called the gyn-onc nurses and they said the bulging was normal (the pain is not so I will go see them if it continues). I was wondering if anyone else experienced this same thing?

I've had my port since early December and am so thankful for it. Hate to think that something might go wrong with it!

Comments

• Gardena
    Gardena Member Posts: 102
    No bulging on mine

I too have a power port (since 10/15) and have not experienced the catheter bulge,  as the port does. That would panic me as well, good you called your dr office and are having it checked out. I hope all is fine - keep us posted.

• Hopeful162
    Hopeful162 Member Posts: 82
    Port catheter site pain

I had my port removed as soon as I could after chemo and my last CT scan, about 11 months ago now, but I notice that the insertion point near my neck is still tender/sore especially lying in bed in certain positions. When I asked my gyn/onc during my last follow up, he said I probably have some scar tissue there and not to worry. Before I got the port I really debated as the very idea really gave me the creeps, but when all is said and done, I think it was the best decision and made chemo days much easier.

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    I had a big bulge in my neck

I had a big bulge in my neck and you could see and feel the entire line.  My port never healed right and could only be used once - the day after it was installed.  After two months it was removed because it was so infected.  Two months later, after going to the Wound Care Clinic for six weeks, it is FINALLY healed!!  However, I'd try another one if I had to do more chemo.  It's a nightmare to try and get a good vein on my arms.

Hope you're ok!!!

Love,

Eldri

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    The twingy pain has gone away

The twingy pain has gone away although it's still bulging when I lay down. I must have been sleeping funny on it that night to cause it to hurt. Since the nurses said that the bulging was normal, I'm going to let it go and try to enjoy the weekend. Hope you all have a great one!

• cindy0519
    cindy0519 Member Posts: 173
    Kvdyson said:

The twingy pain has gone away

The twingy pain has gone away although it's still bulging when I lay down. I must have been sleeping funny on it that night to cause it to hurt. Since the nurses said that the bulging was normal, I'm going to let it go and try to enjoy the weekend. Hope you all have a great one!

Mine buldges on occasion

My power post does this on occassion to.  I think your right - I suspect it is how I sleep too as some day it does it another other not. It is also tender when it does this. 

Hope this at least reliefs your mind a bit....