Two Part, Esophageal Spasms and Eye Probs Post Rads/Chemo

Options

Hi all.  I have a two part question.  First, has anyone dealt with Esophageal Spasms post radiation...I had Stage 4 SCC tongue with METS to Carotid including 2 lymph nodes.  Max treatment.  Overdosed on cisplatin last treatment.  Now have these Wicked spasms (PAIN!!!) from throat down to mid sternum on occ.  Thought it was a heart attack at first, did heart cath and came back clean.  Said it is common for people with my kind of treatment, rads from nos to upper chest.  How did you manage this?  I cannot talk or swallow during them.  Nitro did relieve, but wipes me out so intense and long lasting.

Second, anyone with eye probs and poss connection to rads?  I have to wonder bc I just turned 62..recently started seeing flahes of lightning like on both eyes peripheral edge.  Now with floaters and sack pulling away.  But 5 diagnosis took me by total surprise, Hypertensive Retinopathy (chronic renal disease  post OD), Radiographic Retinopathy, Early Cataracts and Early Dry Macular Degeneration.  None of my friends are with these types of diagnosis.  So surprised...I have to wonder about this poss connection.  Thank You and Best Regards!  FYI declared "Cured" this past year!  I too say, If I could get here, Anyone can!  Thankful my feet touch the floor!Smile

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    I had trouble with my eyes...

during the first rads....and have dry eyes again now during the second batch of rads.  As far as early cataracts or Macular Degeneration, I don't know if rads can cause or accelerate.

I've been reading on other boards that some people are getting botox for the spasms...Seems you have to get shots every 3 months or so, but foks are happy with the results. 

WHOO HOO on being cured!!  HUGE milestone!!!

p

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Eye problems

Due to the field of radiation for nasopharyngeal cancer, my husband's lacrimal nerve was fried. The result is severe dry eyes. He's now on an eydrop 2x a day called Restasis that seems to be helping. We are hoping that both the dry eye and dry mouth problems improve a little bit over time.

Glad to hear the good news for you and wish you all the best in dealing with remaining side effects from treatment. They are bothersome, but when compared to the alternative...well...they are definitely the better option!

Barbara

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Spasms

I get the same problem on the left side of my face, the doctor givers me Lyrica 75mg it does not make it go away but it does help me to go thought them. Also on the eyes I started going totally blind; but the doctor at MD Anderson found I had too much pressure on my brain and gave me some meds for altitude sickness that worked wonderful. I can’t remember the name of it, will get my wife to look it up and PM you with it

Tim

• PJ47
    PJ47 Member Posts: 376
    Options
    Eye issues

I have had both lenses replaced (cataract surgery).  No issues or need prior to rads.  Very dry eyes and we tried punctal plugs which did not work this time but had in the past.  Opthamologist said my glands are not making the tears needed to work with the plugs.  My solution has been special eye drops and fish oil supplements.  My R/O thinks my theory about radiation scatter is nuts but I stand by it.  

The teeth are taking a beating.  Now have had a total of 12 fillings for decay and just had an abscessed tooth pulled and oral surgeon said he is concerned about the bone thinning from rads. He said the tooth came out easily because the bone was soft.  This was in my upper jaw which supposedly got less rads as it was supposed to be aimed at BOT and neck!.   Not sure if I can have an implant and not sure if other teeth will deteriorate and have to be pulled.  

Good luck,

PJ