Went Back to Work

Options

Just want to say I went back to work two weeks ago.  Wed will be 8 weeks since treatment ended.  I am working 3 12hr shifts a week in Labor and Delivery.   I dont know how I did it/do it but its OK.  It helps me feel "normal" and I am so tired of being "sick"  I realize I am blessed and will not complain alot about treatment because I had it relatively easy compared to others.  For me it was hell though.  My white count is still low so praying I dont get sick.   I didnt go on pain meds.  Used my PEG from week two on.  I decided I had to eat 2 weeks after treatment so I did.  One of the hardest things I've ever done is eating again.  My coworkers are awesome and help me in any way they can.  My boss is awesome too.  There may be life after treatment....  In March I have a scan and I might need something else done and that scares the hell out of me but one day at a time is my new motto.  Trying to adhere to that.  Thanks to the wealth of info I received on here!!!  So thankful for that.  

Karen  Stage IV  SCC Pyriform Sinus HPV + and two lymph nodes affected.  Tonsilectomy, Panendoscopy, Rads and concurrent Cisplatin TX.

Comments

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Wow!

Wow! You're one tough lady to be able to go back to ANY 12 hour days and in a demanding field too. It does feel good to be doing "normal" activities and it gives one something to think about besides cancer. Congratulations! 

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    Options
    Wonderful news! I am so very

Wonderful news! I am so very happy for you that you are back to work And that you have a supportive team there. You go girl! 

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Good for you..........

That is good. I do understand the need to try to feel normal. We hav 250 people and all said hi, but didn't know what to say after that. Well in my case only two thought I would even make it. Then losing my larynx and so much on my job was talking. It felt good to get back and everyone was very helpful. I did have to let them know if both hands are full, I can't speak and please don't think I'm ignoring you. They just laughed and understood. Very happy for you.

Bill

• lifeisDHA
    lifeisDHA Member Posts: 64
    Options
    12 hours per day is tough

be sure to get alot of rest after that.  My boyfriend had to laydown in the car during lunch time for 20-30 mins for 1-2 months when he went back to work at 12 weeks. Quiting the pain med was key for him to get more energy

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Wow Karen

you are some kind of warrior! Or SuperNurse! Working is good in many ways and I'm glad it gives you a focus and feeling of normalcy. Don't overdo! But I'm applauding your every step. Remember when you were so scared and just starting this journey? And look how you overcame all those obstacles. You go, girl!

Barbara

• kdot2003
    kdot2003 Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Barbaraek said:

Wow Karen

you are some kind of warrior! Or SuperNurse! Working is good in many ways and I'm glad it gives you a focus and feeling of normalcy. Don't overdo! But I'm applauding your every step. Remember when you were so scared and just starting this journey? And look how you overcame all those obstacles. You go, girl!

Barbara

Thank You!  I sure was

Thank You!  I sure was TERRIFIED.  I was beyond terrified.  One day I prayed to GOD which is something I dont do that often and asked for peace.  I asked for help to take life one day at a time and have trust in him.  I didnt ask to live, just to have a break from the paralyzing anxiety.  It worked.  Not to say I was never nervous but much more at peace.  

• kdot2003
    kdot2003 Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Thank You guys.  I dont think

Thank You guys.  I dont think I am tough or strong but I like my normal life and want to get back to it!!  So far I havent been sick, I'm sure it will happen but resting alot on my off days.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Back to work you good

There is no feeling like the feeling to be able to go back and continue working; it is a sure sign of healing, just don’t rush in and overdo it. I am very happy for you to get started again doing the things you love to do.

Tim

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options