Residual breast cancer

becca0067
becca0067 Member Posts: 2

My doctors are being evasive...I had a double mastectomy in 2009...but I was just diagnosed w\breast cancer...they continue to refer to it as reoccurrence...however in my mind if tissue wasn't left behind there would not be a reoccurrence...WOULDNT IT BE RESIDUAL BREAST CANCER...?

Comments

• becca0067
    becca0067 Member Posts: 2

struggling with this...can anyone direct me to any sources that can help..?

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    becca0067 said:

I am so sorry

It's seems so unfair for you to have to be going thru this for a second time after so many years. Maybe your doctors aren't sure yet about what to call your cancer? In any case, I think you should focus on what they are going to do about it rather than what to call it. Maybe you can get a second surgery or radiation? Let us know how it all turns out and I'll be thinking of you.... Hugs, Anna

• Ace44
    Ace44 Member Posts: 47
    becca0067 said:

My surgeon told me that there

My surgeon told me that there is no way to get every bit of breast tissue so there is always a chance of recurrence. They get as much as they can but can't get it all. My PS went said there is about 10% left (I had mastectomy with reconstruction). 

• crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441
    Various tests help plan your treatments vs trial and error

Hi Becca0067.  I want to know the difference between a recurrence and residual cancer, too.  I had DCIS, high grade in 2009 and had a lumpectomy and interstial multicatheter brachytherapy irradiation. I took 1.5 years of Tamoxifen until it caused polyps in my uterus.  My onc said I could stop taking it.  He offered AIs but I said no thanks.  We both said, "it was only DCIS" anyway.  However, this spring (2015) I had more clustered microcalcifiations, indicating DCIS, again.  The biopsy showed DCIS, intermediate grade this time.      ....      A woman's treatment plan, it seems to me, would be highly affected by whether or not the second DCIS is the result of stray cancer cells that were missed by surgery and radiation (survived?) or if it is a new growth that happended because the environment of the breast was conducive to growing new mutated cells.  ...    One of the BEST things I did was ask for the Oncotype DX test to be done on the biopsy.  Back in 2009, that test was NOT done on DCIS.  I know because I asked for it back then too.  There was research being done at that time.  This time, I got the results that I DID NOT NEED RADIATION!  The way they word it, so as to more accurately reflect the way the research was done, was that, I would not "benefit from having radiation".  I also asked for the BRACA genetics (they actually test at least 5 genes).  ....     If I had had BRACA genes, I would have had a double mastectomy. Becauses I didn't have that genetic predispostition, I could opt for a second lumpectomy if I promised to have whole breast irradiation this time.  If the Oncotype DX results showed an aggressive type of DCIS, I would have had whole breast radiation, waited 6 months for that affected breast to heal, then had the reduction of the other breast so much later.  As it was, didn't need ANY type of radiation so I scheduled the contralateral breast reduction ASAP.

Please, ASK what tests are available before you begin to plan treatments!!

~~Connie~~