It's a small thing - UPDATE

Options

thanks all for your thoughts and prayers. The MOHS surgery was much simpler than the first time - no skin graft required. I sure hope this is the end of basal cell carcinoma on my nose though. I have a small nose and if they have to keep taking pieces of it there won't be much left! As the doctor was putting the stitches in to secure the skin flap he created I let him know I was a quilter and I would be evaluating his sewing skills when I changed the bandage!

Barbara

Comments

• the_wife
    the_wife Member Posts: 184
    Options
    BCC

Barbara, glad to hear things went okay for you! I'm sure it's a big relief to have it done.

My brother's MOHS surgery turned out to be more than he thought. Apparently it started out a little tiny smooth spot on the inside of his lip and was barely visible, but it had deep roots. He said the doc had to cut up towards his nose. He didn't have a skin graft, though - not sure if that was his doc's specialty. He just stitched it up, so hopefully it will heal okay. Those BCC's are not necessarily a little thing if they grow. Glad you had it taken care of and I hope you approve of your doc's handiwork!

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Glad it went well

Glad it went well, Barbara. I like your quilter's sense of humor. Instead of explaining your surgery to people,  you can just tell them you had it appliquéd!

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Options
    MrsBD said:

Glad it went well

Glad it went well, Barbara. I like your quilter's sense of humor. Instead of explaining your surgery to people,  you can just tell them you had it appliquéd!

appliqued...That is perfect!

actually the stitches dont look too bad, but boy do they itch! For all of you who have gone through neck dissections and have been stitched up - wow...you all are amazing.

Barbara

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Hope it is the last time.

While I was teaching gymnastics in 1971, I had my nose broken, again. A year later I had to have surgery to fix it to where I could breathe. I will never forget that experience. I could not imagine just how much packing they could get in a nose. It was only the size of a pencil but it was almost three feet long. So I do hope that was not needed. Now I had to coat the inside of the nose so it would not get dry and crack and had to use mineral oil. However I was not allowed to put anything in my nose to apply the oil so you used an eye dropper and I got a little too much and it ran down my throat so I inhaled hard to clear my throat. That drop of mineral oil has now been in my left lung for 44 years and has finally crystallized. I have and still do, scare many an x-ray tech if I don't warn them before the x-ray. I did have one year back who I tried to warn, but he was very cocky and "had it all covered". LOL should have seen him turn pale white and said we need to take a few more. I let him off the hook and said I'm not here for that spot, just a check up.

I hope they don't have to pack yours and if they do, don't ever laugh, as that hurt almost as a sneeze.

Thoughts and prayers 

Bill

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

Hope it is the last time.

While I was teaching gymnastics in 1971, I had my nose broken, again. A year later I had to have surgery to fix it to where I could breathe. I will never forget that experience. I could not imagine just how much packing they could get in a nose. It was only the size of a pencil but it was almost three feet long. So I do hope that was not needed. Now I had to coat the inside of the nose so it would not get dry and crack and had to use mineral oil. However I was not allowed to put anything in my nose to apply the oil so you used an eye dropper and I got a little too much and it ran down my throat so I inhaled hard to clear my throat. That drop of mineral oil has now been in my left lung for 44 years and has finally crystallized. I have and still do, scare many an x-ray tech if I don't warn them before the x-ray. I did have one year back who I tried to warn, but he was very cocky and "had it all covered". LOL should have seen him turn pale white and said we need to take a few more. I let him off the hook and said I'm not here for that spot, just a check up.

I hope they don't have to pack yours and if they do, don't ever laugh, as that hurt almost as a sneeze.

Thoughts and prayers 

Bill

Broken Nose

I broke my nose in a bicycle accident when I was about 10.  Had to have surgery to put all the pieces back together.  They packed my nose. Broke it on a Sunday, surgery on Tuesday, and on Saturday I had a tickle in my throat.  My mom gave me some juice and out came about 2 feet of packing that ended up down my throat.  Had to go to the emergency room where the surgeon met us and pulled it the rest of the way out, through my mouth.  It just kept coming and coming and coming.

• kdot2003
    kdot2003 Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Barbara, 
    I am just catching

Barbara, 

I am just catching up!  Not a small thing! If you mean your nose.  So glad your surgery is done and you are healing now.  Healing IS itchy!  

Karen