Diet

Options
braelee2
braelee2 Member Posts: 130

Hi all !  It's been a long time since I been on here but I really need some advice from people going through the same issues and from non cancer patients who don't underst what we go through! I was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2110 , had a foot of my colon removed, Two liver rejections. And a tumors removed from my stomach. And as of today 42 chemo treatments. Right now I have 2 tumors in my stomach by the main aritery and 3 in my lung (which are small and 1 in my lymph node in my neck. My scan showed that the chemo is shrinking them. But what I need help with is food! Some friends of mine keep telling me I need to eat this and that remove this and that and it makes me feel like I'm not fighting hard enough, and that's why my cancer keeps spreading! So what are you guys doing and eating! Because at this point I'm about to throw in the towel! 

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Be comfortable

I think you need to be comfortable with yourself, and have faith that what you are doing is right for you. 

I have read the books that talk about radically changing your diet. Cut out dairy, bread, fat, sugar, meat. It reminds me of the poor chap in England who died of starvation because he was scared to eat anything. 

I think that we all know what is good for us. Sure, we can read and listen to the advice of others, but when push comes to shove, we need to follow our own hearts, and do what we think is the best for us.

As for myself. I am careful about what I eat, but I eat what I enjoy, and that includes the dairy, bread, fat, sugar and meat that I've read are so bad for me. I don't know how long I have to live, but I intend to die happy, and if I cut out all of those foods from my diet, I would not be happy.

Follow your heart and your own God given instict. It will whisper to you when you are doing something wrong. Enjoy the the foods that you love, and I pray that your treatments will gain the upper hand on your tumours. 

It is good to see you hear, but it saddens my heart to hear of your struggles. 

And of course, you know these are just my own thoughts and feelings. Others will come along whose ideas could be much different. 

Sue - Trubrit

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Friends or fiends?

Friends or fiends?

Sometimes it’s difficult to tell them apart.

Re:
    “Some friends of mine keep telling me I need to eat this and that remove this and that and it makes me feel like I'm not fighting hard enough, and that's why my cancer keeps spreading!”

As if we don’t have enough problems we never asked for, without having some guilt added to the top of it all; like a cherry atop the landfill…

Sue said it all. Listen to thyself. If we would only listen to that inner voice we have, that every living creature was gifted with for self-survival, we would have a whole ton less problems in this world. It’s that inner instinct; that intuition we have, that can guide us through the perils of life.

Wild animals don’t go for scans, they don’t have a few dozen “studies” they have to read and take heed of.  They don’t need to be told what to fear and run from. Wild animals are guided by their own “inner voice” that tells them not to eat the red berries of the Yew bush, or not stare at the sun. We have the same gift of an inner voice, but we often forget to listen to it…… or worse, we don’t trust it because someone told us not to trust it.

We know harsh chemicals are carcinogenic. We know radiation is carcinogenic, yet we accept that as “treatment” while rejecting foods that everyone else eats without a problem?

A cancer cell is only a normal cell that has been damaged so badly that it can no longer “hear” our body’s instructions about how to survive. Normally our body’s immune system (T cells) remove a defective, dead, or dying cell. If our body does not do that (for whatever reason), that cell may begin life again by way of the fermentation process. It takes in glucose to survive, and dumps out Lactic acid as waste. (The Liver converts lactic acid into glucose, by the way). Since the now rogue cell is living on it’s own inside us (like a mold spore inside your shower wall), it grows and take room away from the healthy, polite cells inside us.

And the interesting part? Our bodies create dead and dying cells as part of it’s normal living and growing process. It does that continually and is perfectly normal. What isn’t normal, is when the immune system neglects to do what it was intended to do; remove the defective, dead or dying cell.

Sure, it’s not a bad idea to avoid adding to a problem, but if your body is neglecting to do what it should, avoiding red meat, sugar beverages and the few hundred thousand things on the California carcinogenic list, really doesn’t matter.

Having a good, sound and varied diet is best. Wild Animals don’t eat the same junk day after day. You can only eat just so much Zebra before getting sick of it, right? Maybe have a horse now and then; maybe some rats… You have to “mix it up” to stay healthy.

It’s good to eat “healthy foods” to provide your body with food products that it can digest easily; why add to an already hard working body? But avoiding foods with the notion that you will prevent cancer by doing so is a lesson in futility. Do and eat everything they say is perfect, but your body will still produce dead and dying cells as a result of the normal life process.

You can’t cure a problem if you ignore the actual cause of the problem. Finding a “cure” for cancer would end one of the largest and most profitable businesses in the world.

Forget the individuals that are dumping a guilt trip upon your head. You didn’t cause yourself to have cancer cells and have absolutely no reason to punish yourself with a layer of guilt.

With friends like that? You don’t need enemies.

Eat what makes you feel good, and eat all the things that “mom” said you should eat, when you’re not stuffing Mallomars into your mouth. Enjoy life!!

Best health wishes to you,

John

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    John23 said:

Friends or fiends?

Friends or fiends?

Re:
    “Some friends of mine keep telling me I need to eat this and that remove this and that and it makes me feel like I'm not fighting hard enough, and that's why my cancer keeps spreading!”

As if we don’t have enough problems we never asked for, without having some guilt added to the top of it all; like a cherry atop the landfill…

Sue said it all. Listen to thyself. If we would only listen to that inner voice we have, that every living creature was gifted with for self-survival, we would have a whole ton less problems in this world. It’s that inner instinct; that intuition we have, that can guide us through the perils of life.

Wild animals don’t go for scans, they don’t have a few dozen “studies” they have to read and take heed of.  They don’t need to be told what to fear and run from. Wild animals are guided by their own “inner voice” that tells them not to eat the red berries of the Yew bush, or not stare at the sun. We have the same gift of an inner voice, but we often forget to listen to it…… or worse, we don’t trust it because someone told us not to trust it.

We know harsh chemicals are carcinogenic. We know radiation is carcinogenic, yet we accept that as “treatment” while rejecting foods that everyone else eats without a problem?

A cancer cell is only a normal cell that has been damaged so badly that it can no longer “hear” our body’s instructions about how to survive. Normally our body’s immune system (T cells) remove a defective, dead, or dying cell. If our body does not do that (for whatever reason), that cell may begin life again by way of the fermentation process. It takes in glucose to survive, and dumps out Lactic acid as waste. (The Liver converts lactic acid into glucose, by the way). Since the now rogue cell is living on it’s own inside us (like a mold spore inside your shower wall), it grows and take room away from the healthy, polite cells inside us.

And the interesting part? Our bodies create dead and dying cells as part of it’s normal living and growing process. It does that continually and is perfectly normal. What isn’t normal, is when the immune system neglects to do what it was intended to do; remove the defective, dead or dying cell.

Sure, it’s not a bad idea to avoid adding to a problem, but if your body is neglecting to do what it should, avoiding red meat, sugar beverages and the few hundred thousand things on the California carcinogenic list, really doesn’t matter.

Having a good, sound and varied diet is best. Wild Animals don’t eat the same junk day after day. You can only eat just so much Zebra before getting sick of it, right? Maybe have a horse now and then; maybe some rats… You have to “mix it up” to stay healthy.

It’s good to eat “healthy foods” to provide your body with food products that it can digest easily; why add to an already hard working body? But avoiding foods with the notion that you will prevent cancer by doing so is a lesson in futility. Do and eat everything they say is perfect, but your body will still produce dead and dying cells as a result of the normal life process.

You can’t cure a problem if you ignore the actual cause of the problem. Finding a “cure” for cancer would end one of the largest and most profitable businesses in the world.

Forget the individuals that are dumping a guilt trip upon your head. You didn’t cause yourself to have cancer cells and have absolutely no reason to punish yourself with a layer of guilt.

Eat what makes you feel good, and eat all the things that “mom” said you should eat, when you’re not stuffing Mallomars into your mouth. Enjoy life!!

John

ahhhh Braelee

ahhhh girl what a very hard time you are having.  I too have to do another round of cancer.....this time breast.....I really believe that if cancer could be cured with food we would have the answer by now.  I eat very very well because I have always eaten that way but I do eat some sugar, and fat, sometimes red meat and alcohol. It breaks my heart that people or family would trouble you by suggesting food is your answer.  and yes it is often the people who have never had cancer who have"all" the answers.  My advice is just put them out of your mind and ask them to keep their advice to themselves.

I wish you all the very best,,,with very best love, maggie

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

ahhhh Braelee

ahhhh girl what a very hard time you are having.  I too have to do another round of cancer.....this time breast.....I really believe that if cancer could be cured with food we would have the answer by now.  I eat very very well because I have always eaten that way but I do eat some sugar, and fat, sometimes red meat and alcohol. It breaks my heart that people or family would trouble you by suggesting food is your answer.  and yes it is often the people who have never had cancer who have"all" the answers.  My advice is just put them out of your mind and ask them to keep their advice to themselves.

I wish you all the very best,,,with very best love, maggie

advice

Maggie, you are right on telling them "to keep their advice to themselves." 

• Sharronoffaith
    Sharronoffaith Member Posts: 76
    Options
    John23 said:

Friends or fiends?

Friends or fiends?

Re:

John

Pass the cheese...um, no thanks!

So sorry to hear of your struggles.  I too wonder what I can change, mostly to boost my immune system which clearly isn't seeing the cancer cells as enemies.  Your friends, they sound like frenimies.  But, people don't know what to say sometimes.

my thought:  next time little Miss or Mr. know it all tells you you need to eat differently, I would say to them:

"Hey, thanks so much, that sounds great, and I am looking for help in changing my diet.  Can you help me out by making a note of everything you eat for the next couple of days, and I will just follow your lead."

if you say the above with a tone of sincerity, I bet all those know it all noshers will run for cover.  Let THEM take a look at what THEY eat!  I think we, as cancer patients, are much more aware of what we put in out bodies.  These judgemental bacon, dorito eating folks can just cram it...

and, John, I love your posts.  You are truly a visionary breath of fresh air.  I especially liked the zebra part....fabulous!  Cancer is lousy, but people here surely brighten my day.

by the way, I have been vegetarian, vegan, and now pescatarian for 15 years or so before my cancer diagnosis.  However, I am concerned about my dairy intake and believe that dairy is a problem with all the natural/unnatural hormones.  And, we are the only animals to drink the milk of other animals. 

My personal dietary changes: eliminate/reduce all dairy consumption.  The fats are no good for me, and the hormones are surely not helping.  Dairy affects my sinuses, which I have had trouble with for years.  

I am also very low in vitamin D, and have read a lot about that deficiency in colorectal cancer patients.  Minimum supplement of 1000 iu a day is recommended.  I have seen studies with viitamin D and its relationship to colon cancer treatment.  One study had participants taking 10,000 iu daily for 2 weeks prior to surgery---just saying.

best wishes and prayers your way,

sharron

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that diet makes

My opinion is that diet makes little to no difference. And people who keep sending me messages on facebook with the latest ideas make me also feel like they're trying to place the blame on me. 'You didn't eat right so you got cancer' or it came back. I think people are constantly trying to have control over something that we have so little control over. I don't need to feel like if my cancer comes back someone will point their finger and say it's my fault because I didn't eat right or do the things they've suggested. Or feel like they eat better than I do so they're immune.

I have a friend who is a long term vegan who has had breast cancer, we have friends that had a horse that had colon cancer, herbivores get cancer, healthy vegetarian fit people get it, there is no rhyme or reason. I don't think there's any doubt that being healthy will help to fight off any kind of illness but I'm not a believer in eating a certain way to prevent it. Within reason, of course. I wouldn't say oh, go and eat all the crap you want and dont worry about it.

And please, no more pms from a certain member who disagrees with me. As I stated, this is my opinion. Our opinions were asked for and this is mine.  

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've heard of

The only thing I've heard of with any certainty as to reoccurance and resisting tumor growth was aspirin, taken daily. The next biggest cancer fighter I've heard about was exercise and activity, which aids overall health and the immune system. I don't think there's any magic diet that is proven to help, regardless of all the anectdotal stories out there. I'd just have lots of fruits and vegetables with the other stuff, and enjoy all the great foods available. Life is short, even when it's long, and denying myself the good stuff would just mess with my head, and that can't be healthy.............................Dave

• sflgirl
    sflgirl Member Posts: 220 Member
    Options

The only thing I've heard of with any certainty as to reoccurance and resisting tumor growth was aspirin, taken daily. The next biggest cancer fighter I've heard about was exercise and activity, which aids overall health and the immune system. I don't think there's any magic diet that is proven to help, regardless of all the anectdotal stories out there. I'd just have lots of fruits and vegetables with the other stuff, and enjoy all the great foods available. Life is short, even when it's long, and denying myself the good stuff would just mess with my head, and that can't be healthy.............................Dave

Thanks Dave

Agree and love your outlook.  Currently drinking a glass of red wine and feeling no guilt :)). And taking aspirin every morning.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options

Aspirin specifically? I'm

Aspirin specifically? I'm curious because I'm on a blood thiner for life after the PE and I was told to take aspirin when I had the vlots in my leg and I'm wondering if the thinning effect has anything to do with helping to stop cancer.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

Aspirin specifically? I'm

Aspirin specifically? I'm curious because I'm on a blood thiner for life after the PE and I was told to take aspirin when I had the vlots in my leg and I'm wondering if the thinning effect has anything to do with helping to stop cancer.

As Always, Not Clear On Mechanism

I have not found details yet on the particular mechanism, but just started looking myself.  Will keep looking (the EMT in me :) 

http://www.cancer.org/research/acsresearchupdates/cancerprevention/aspirin-and-cancer-prevention-what-the-research-really-shows

• sndky01
    sndky01 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    What to eat

Thank you all so much for your comments.  I have the same "friends" who want me to eat only pure vegan,

visit holistic clinics, and take expensive supplements. Yes, some probably do work. But I have made my

decision to go with the chemo and eat fairly healthy as my nauseated stomach will allow and now I can do

this without the guilt and wonder of "should I have"".  Ten pounds off my shoulders. Thank you again!

Sandra

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    sndky01 said:

What to eat

Thank you all so much for your comments.  I have the same "friends" who want me to eat only pure vegan,

visit holistic clinics, and take expensive supplements. Yes, some probably do work. But I have made my

decision to go with the chemo and eat fairly healthy as my nauseated stomach will allow and now I can do

this without the guilt and wonder of "should I have"".  Ten pounds off my shoulders. Thank you again!

Sandra

My problem is "family"

My friends are  pretty cool.  But  some of the family- Yikes! Not close family, but the inlaws and outlaws that you see only at weddings, funerals, reunions and such.  According to several of them, doctors are up to no good and my doctors have no interest in my health or me, they're just interested in getting rich off my treatment. Or  I could have avoided all this treatment if I'd just taken maple syrup and baking soda because so and so saw on the Internet that it had  cured someone's  sister-in-law's nephew's child. And I would never have gotten cancer in the first place if I'd worn a particular  type of metal bracelet, or did this or that, eaten or not eaten this or that, or had drunk or not drunk this or that.  I avoid family gatherings as much as possible now. Yell

• Cathleen Mary
    Cathleen Mary Member Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    lizard44 said:

My problem is "family"

My friends are  pretty cool.  But  some of the family- Yikes! Not close family, but the inlaws and outlaws that you see only at weddings, funerals, reunions and such.  According to several of them, doctors are up to no good and my doctors have no interest in my health or me, they're just interested in getting rich off my treatment. Or  I could have avoided all this treatment if I'd just taken maple syrup and baking soda because so and so saw on the Internet that it had  cured someone's  sister-in-law's nephew's child. And I would never have gotten cancer in the first place if I'd worn a particular  type of metal bracelet, or did this or that, eaten or not eaten this or that, or had drunk or not drunk this or that.  I avoid family gatherings as much as possible now. Yell

Enjoying life and being kind

Enjoying life and being kind is primary. All else is secondary. You have enough on your proverbial plate without feeling badly about enjoying some foods. 

If 'they' have found a cure, suggest they call the American Cancer Society! 

You have been missed. Best wishes....

CM

• y2kate
    y2kate Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Diet

My sister also has colorectal cancer, with mets to the liver.  She is on a ketogenic diet, which emphasizes lots of healthy fats, some high quality protein, and lots of nonstarchy vegetables and vegetable juices.  It's a very low-carb program (less than 20 carbs per day) and it seems to be helping her quite a bit.  She has had virtually no side effects from the chemo thus far (she's had three rounds).  In fact her nails are growing better and stronger than they ever have.  She looks and feels better than she did before starting chemo and the ketogenic diet, believe it or not!

We don't know yet if the diet is helping her eliminate the cancer, but she is out of pain and looking and feeling much better, which counts for something. She's lost 20 pounds and her blood pressure has returned to normal since she started the diet. 

It is well known that cancer loves glucose, so it makes sense to minimize or eliminate sugar or anything that the body can easily convert to glucose (breads, processed foods). So, some form of a "real" food, low-carb diet makes sense, if you're up for it!

It's a shame that oncologists and other cancer doctors won't give any advice on diet; I find it shocking, to be honest.  You have to seek out the info on your own, but it is well worth the trouble. You may want to consult a naturopath in addition to your team of cancer doctors. 

My sister has also been fasting during chemotherapy in accordance with this study, here's a link:  http://michelsonmedical.org/2014/12/26/igf-1-fasting-discussion-valter-longo/

And, if you want to check out the ketogenic diet, you can start here: http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketogenic-diet-plan.html

Wishing you so much success--best of luck to you!  

Kate

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    do what feels right for you

I've gone sugar free, low carb and had a recurrance, I've eaten regular and had a recurrance.  Currently, I'm NED and eating pretty normally.  I'd like to improve my diet but more for weight loss at this point than for the cancer.  Try to eat healthy, get rest and exercise, but don't go crazy.  Basically take care of yourself without going overboard.  Good luck to you, Traci

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    y2kate said:

Diet

My sister also has colorectal cancer, with mets to the liver.  She is on a ketogenic diet, which emphasizes lots of healthy fats, some high quality protein, and lots of nonstarchy vegetables and vegetable juices.  It's a very low-carb program (less than 20 carbs per day) and it seems to be helping her quite a bit.  She has had virtually no side effects from the chemo thus far (she's had three rounds).  In fact her nails are growing better and stronger than they ever have.  She looks and feels better than she did before starting chemo and the ketogenic diet, believe it or not!

We don't know yet if the diet is helping her eliminate the cancer, but she is out of pain and looking and feeling much better, which counts for something. She's lost 20 pounds and her blood pressure has returned to normal since she started the diet. 

It is well known that cancer loves glucose, so it makes sense to minimize or eliminate sugar or anything that the body can easily convert to glucose (breads, processed foods). So, some form of a "real" food, low-carb diet makes sense, if you're up for it!

It's a shame that oncologists and other cancer doctors won't give any advice on diet; I find it shocking, to be honest.  You have to seek out the info on your own, but it is well worth the trouble. You may want to consult a naturopath in addition to your team of cancer doctors. 

My sister has also been fasting during chemotherapy in accordance with this study, here's a link:  http://michelsonmedical.org/2014/12/26/igf-1-fasting-discussion-valter-longo/

And, if you want to check out the ketogenic diet, you can start here: http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketogenic-diet-plan.html

Kate

Diets….

Diets….

Re:
    “It is well known that cancer loves glucose, so it makes sense to minimize or eliminate sugar or anything that the body can easily convert to glucose (breads, processed foods). So, some form of a "real" food, low-carb diet makes sense, if you're up for it!”

What is really well known, is that our cells require glucose.

Cancer cells can’t hear the body’s instructions, so they can consume more glucose than the non-defective cells. If you attempt to “starve” cancer cells, you will starve good cells first, since the good cells are being limited regarding the uptake of glucose.

The body can turn to using Ketone to stay alive, but it’s a last ditch effort. Cells being starved and being forced to attempt to survive using an all-out / all-stops pulled effort puts an enormous amount of stress on the body when it can least afford more stress.

A “ketogenic diet” does not work.

It does not make sense to limit glucose. Eat a well rounded, unlimited diet and give your body every benefit of food products it can use.

There are sensible ways to be healthy; a “ketogenic diet” is not one of them.

Best of health,

John

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    y2kate said:

Diet

Kate

Sad but true

we have seen many friends here on the forum pass away, and sadly some of the followed this Ketogenic diet and a myriad of other diets to no avail, which is why we are very careful not to say something works over something else. 

I am sorry your sister has this dreaded disease, it really is no fun. I pray she will continue to do well during chemo and onward. Im glad she enjoys the diet as that is also important.  

You sound like a wonderful, caring sister. How blessed she is to have you on her side. 

Welcome to the forum. 

Trubrit