Prostate canccer survivor - now have Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS)

cchqnetman
cchqnetman Member Posts: 119

I was treated with High Dose Rate Brachytherapy for prostate cancer and at the time they said there was a small chance the radiation could cause a second cancer.  My doctors now think the MDS I have was caused by the radiation.  Looking at a 30% chance of cure with a stem cell transplant.  Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Best of luck to alll of us!

cc

Comments

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    Lymphoma

Normally I post on the lymphoma page but decided to take a peek at the leukemia page. I was treated for Follicular lyphoma last year. Six rounds of R-Chop and when that didn't stop the canncer, 3 rounds of RICE. I was supposed to have a Stem Cell transplant last Nov but them they found some abnormal cells. Turns out it is MDS. I am on hold right now until they find a donor. 

Good luck to you too.

• cchqnetman
    cchqnetman Member Posts: 119
    lindary said:

Lymphoma

Normally I post on the lymphoma page but decided to take a peek at the leukemia page. I was treated for Follicular lyphoma last year. Six rounds of R-Chop and when that didn't stop the canncer, 3 rounds of RICE. I was supposed to have a Stem Cell transplant last Nov but them they found some abnormal cells. Turns out it is MDS. I am on hold right now until they find a donor. 

Good luck to you too.

On Hold Also

I am also on hold.  The Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Doctor ordered a bone scan before the transplant nad it showed several areas of possible metastaic prostate cancer.  So he put the transplant on hold until I see a urologist (and more than likely have more tests).  The BMT doc says I have a 30% chance of success when he does the BMT and a median survival time of 3 years if it is successful. 

What sub-category of MDS do you have and do you know what your cytogenetics are?

Good luck to you!!!!!!